Duct tape adhesive removal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Duct tape adhesive removal

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In preparation for transport I used duct tape to secure several items in the cockpit of my new-to-me Cape Dory 25D - covers for compass, depth guage, etc. The tape was on 3 weeks. I removed the tape yesterday and, not surprisingly, some of the adhesive remained on the gelcoat, etc.

I need a recommendation for something to remove this. My first thought was acetone. My concern is what acetone might do to the gelcoat.

Thoughts and recommendations please.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Try using the Tar & Bug removal products for automobiles.
Have A Nice Day
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

'Goof - Off' will remove adhesive residue
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Russell

Post by Russell »

Goof Off works well, also WD-40 works well.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

Robert,

3M makes a product specifically for this purpose called something like "3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover." It's main market is automotive body shops but most marine stores carry it too. Use in a well ventilated area. I don't know what's in it but it is one of the nastiest solvents I have ever encountered.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Goof off

Post by RIKanaka »

+2, but make sure you have good ventilation because I think it has xylene or something like that I have also used acetone and isopropyl alcohol but am not sure if it was the solvent or rubbing action that was most effective.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
doubleb

glue

Post by doubleb »

This will sound crazy but try lighter fluid. It removes all kinds of sticky things and will not harm the surface.
We use it all the time around the house for things like that, Years ago before bar codes we used it on price tags on xmass gifts. soak tag. slide it off. Done. no harm to package.

my 2 cents

B.B.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Coffee?

Post by Terry »

In the army, we used coffee for this sort of thing. 'Course YOU probably don't make your coffee like the army does.

Goof-Off is less toxic, even smells okay.

Terry
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Just got home. Spent "day 2" prepping S/V Bali Ha'i. Hope to splash her next week.

As much as I would like to try using "coffee" (perhaps Medaglia d'Oro), I will probably go with Goo Off or WD 40. I have both at home. Never thought of it.

I would prefer to save my coffee for drinking. :)

Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Coffee?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Terry wrote:In the army, we used coffee for this sort of thing.
In the Navy, too. The combination of hot, slightly acidic and a bit abrasive works wonders.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Villamil

duct tape removal

Post by Dick Villamil »

Use vegetable oil - it is non toxic, softens the glue and then it just wipes off. WD 40 is also great. Remove all oily residues before they soak into the gelcoat as soon as possible.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I used WD40. It worked great. Thanks to all.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097