Annual Meeting Information

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Annual Meeting Information

Post by Steve Kuhar »

If you are coming to the annual meeting be sure to bring clothes for cool weather sailing. This week the highs are in the 80s and the lows in the 50s but things can change quickly here and highs in the 50s are not unheard of at this time of year. Of course you all know to wear non marring soft soled shoes. For the rest of the meeting plan to dress casually, those members who are wearing ties will be asked to remove them, those with ascots will be laughed off the premises.

The Friday night fish fry will be at 6PM but you will find a number of the host skippers aboard their boats by mid afternoon, some have been known to offer the occasional Dark & Stormy to weary travelers.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to call me or any of the local members of the Central Gulf Fleet for assistance. All of our numbers are in the CDSOA Directory. We are looking forward to seeing you all.

Steve Kuhar
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

We are looking forward to seeing you all.

Steve Kuhar
It's not our intent to be too picky, picky, but we would be remiss if we didn't mention the typo in Steve's post concerning the annual meeting.

We have been led to believe that when addressing a topic in plural to more than one person, especially below the Mason-Dixon Line, the proper use of da kinks englitch dictates saying "All you all".

We at CDSOA strive for excellence in all things. I axe ya to be more careful in da future.

CDSOA Editorial Staff :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

O.J.

Actually the correct form of address is simply Y'all but everytime we use it y'all get confused with that silly looking boat with the little stick on the back that passes for a mast "up north". Same thing happens when we try to explain how we ketch mullet down here.

Steve Kuhar
Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

Post by Dick Turner »

By "casual," do you mean that jeans will be acceptable attire for the Saturday dinner?
ceilidh

Post by ceilidh »

when I want to include more folks than "ya'll" can reasonably account for... "all ya'll" works purty good for me....

Looking forward to a weekend in Fairhope... hank
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Driving Instructions

Post by Steve Kuhar »

The question was asked "How do I get to the Hampton Inn from the Mobile Airport?"

From Mobile cross the north end of Mobile Bay on Interstate 10. At the end of the bridge take the very first exit south onto U.S 98. Go about 7.7 miles south and then veer right onto Scenic Hwy 98. In about 1 mile you will reach a traffic light at the crest of a small hill, this is Volanta St., turn right onto Volanta and Fairhope Yacht Club will be at the bottom of the hill, or go straight through the light for approximately 1.2 mile to the Hampton Inn.

For a prettier drive, at about 1.6 miles south of I 10 make a right turn onto Alternate 98 and follow it through the town of Daphne and along the beautiful Montrose community. At the stop sign about 4 miles south of Daphne be sure to stay right onto Scenic 98, and Volanta will be in about .5 miles. This road is two lane and slower, but on Friday afternoon traffic is terrible on either route.

And as we would say in my native hometown of Pittsburgh, we are looking forward to seeing you'nse guys next week.

Steve Kuhar
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Driving Instructions

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Kuhar wrote:The question was asked "How do I get to the Hampton Inn from the Mobile Airport?"
Is there bus/cab/? service available?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Attire and Transportation

Post by Steve Kuhar »

There is no bus service from the Mobile Airport to Fairhope. There are cabs available but I am pretty sure that the cost will be greater than renting a car. We looked into staying at the one hotel near Fairhope that offered shuttle service, but you could have bought a car for their room rate so we decided against it.

On the question of blue jeans for the Saturday dinner, that is just a little bit more casual than I had in mind, but it wouldn't bother me. My wife says that I should not attempt to give fashion advice, or advice on any other topic that I am totally ignorant of. I merely wanted to point out that while some yacht clubs require coat and tie for the evening meal, Fairhope Yacht Club and the CDSOA do not.

Steve Kuhar
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Attire and Transportation

Post by Joe Myerson »

Steve Kuhar wrote: I merely wanted to point out that while some yacht clubs require coat and tie for the evening meal, Fairhope Yacht Club and the CDSOA do not.
Steve,

So, unless Don and Diana can cook up some CDSOA blazer patches really fast, it will be khakis and shirts, am I correct?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Troy Scott

Fairhope Weather, Clothing and "you all"

Post by Troy Scott »

I've just checked the long-term forecast for Fairhope, November 4-6. It should be sunny every day, highs 78 or less, lows 50 or less. Usually I can get wind predictions as well, but that's slow today. Hopefully someone will fill in that blank for me?

With regard to attire, khakis and shirts will be fine. Be aware that out on the water, even with temps in the 70s, if it's breezy it can be chilly, and it will certainly be chilly in the mornings and evenings. Have a sweater or light jacket handy. I usually wear a long-sleeved white shirt and a cap when I'm sailing. I spent way too much time in the sun in my teens and through my 30s, and now I have to be careful. One note about jeans: they are fine is they don't have metal on the exterior. I've seen far too many scratches from rivited jeans and metal belt buckles. You can dress up or down as much as you like, but you'll be most comfortable in nice casual at the FYC.

I LOVE the "you all" humor from Steve Kuhar and Oswego John! But I can't resist a little clarification. With regard to "you", "you all" and "all you all", I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say "all you all". We learned in school that "you" is both singular and plural. In the South, we do understand that. However, we also learned that language evolves, that regional use of the language varies, and that to a limited extent, that's OK. Practically every educated southerner I know uses "you" to address one person, and "you all" to address a group. For me, this is actually more clear that simply using "you" for both situations. Maybe someday the rest of the English-speaking world will catch on. "Y'all" is a natural contraction of "you all" but I don't like to hear it, despite the fact that I've caught myself using it a few times. I rarely hear educated people say "y'all". I apologize if any of this sounds snobbish. It isn't meant to be. I learned long ago that there are many beautiful variations of the English language. I love to hear elegant old people from Mobile, where I grew up. Unfortunately that accent is disappearing. I also love to hear Queen Elizabeth speak. These examples are amazingly different. Most variations of the language deserve our respect. Some are so far from standard that they should not really be referred to as English. End of what may have sounded like a rant. It wasn't.

I look forward to the meeting in Fairhope!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Got snow, y'all?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Steve,

As I sit at my computer, watching it sn*w falling outside (they're predicting up to 10 inches), I am very much looking forward to sailing with you all.

--Joe
(PS, will OJ be able to make it, or is he already snowed in for the winter?)
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Joe,

Unfortunately it does not look like O.J. will be in attendance this year, we will miss him, but I have new crew for the transit over in the form of our Past Commodore, Leo MacDonald, I am looking forward to the trip.

Right now it appears that we have two 31s underway from Demopolis, A 36 will leave Destin on Tuesday, and two 30s and a 25D will leave Pensacola on Wednesday. We have a 30, a 27, and a 25D in Fairhope at the moment. If it gets crowded we also have an Alberg 30 that can pass for a Cape Dory if we need it.

Right now the weather forecast looks good, we just hope it will stay that way. It was kind of chilly today, but I was still able to give the boat a scrub down in shorts and a t shirt, no snow.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday.

Steve
barfwinkle

Important Stuff

Post by barfwinkle »

And speaking of important stuff I need some local knowledge. Is there a "Joe Pattis" type place in the vicinity? It would be a shame to drive all that way and not bring back some fresh shrimps!!!! YUMYUMYUM.

See yas Friday. Fair Winds.
Bill Member #250.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

MOVREP (movement report)

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Sailing vessels "Aikane" CD30, "Hunky Dory" CD25D, "Miss Marley CD30 underway Pensacola Bay enroute Fairhope, Alabama. Leo MacDonald SOPA. further communications limited until arrival.

Steve Kuhar
"Aikane" sends
barfwinkle

SOPA

Post by barfwinkle »

Well I certainly hope Leo used some soap! I have been locked up with him on a boat before.

Fair Winds and we'll See yas noonish Friday.........
Bill Member #250.