Teak work

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jdpmus

Teak work

Post by Jdpmus »

Just finished cleaning and sanding the 37-year-old teak on our CD25. Next step will be applying finish tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend a "masking" tape for this project to keep the gelcoat protected?
riveredge

masking tape

Post by riveredge »

Regular painters blue masking tape works fine. Only thing is it has to be removed in less than a week (maybe two). If it stays on too long its very hard to pull off as the tape gets weaker than the adhesive. I try to remove it within 48 hours to be safe from drudgery.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Blue Tape

Post by tjr818 »

Amen to that! And whatever you do, buy the good stuff. I have had cheap tape tear into little pieces that had to be scraped off piece by piece with a plastic putty knife.
Has anyone tried the green Frog Tape?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

FROG TAPE it's green and 1000% better than anything else..
Randy 25D Seraph #161
tartansailor

Tape

Post by tartansailor »

Frog Green is good.
I like common ordinary vinyl electricians tape because it is foolproof for keeping paint / varnish from creeping under the tape; a common failure with paper tape.

Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Masking

Post by Oswego John »

The few times that I think of it, and if I can ever find it when I think of it, I have used a wallpaper seam roller to press the paint edge of the masking tape onto the surface.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Frog

Post by bhartley »

Frog tape is water activated. The "seal" only works with latex paint.

What is FrogTape?

FrogTape® is a pro painter’s masking tape and the only tape treated with PaintBlock® Technology. FrogTape was designed for use with latex paints. PaintBlock reacts with the water in latex paints to form a micro-barrier along the edges of the tape. This makes FrogTape more resistant to paint bleeding.
Bob Ohler

Use a micro fiber cloth to seal the edge

Post by Bob Ohler »

I just recently was talking to a professional teak guy. We shared ideas and tricks. One of his was to seal the edge by rubbing a good micro fiber rag along the edge.

Use the best and FRESH (new) 3M tape (other than fine line) that you can find, and as mentioned, don't leave it more than 48 hours max!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Jdpmus

Teak work

Post by Jdpmus »

Thanks!

Now I'm waiting to see who is going to volunteer to come to sunny, hot, and DRY Texas to help me get this done. :D
SPIBob

Forget the tape

Post by SPIBob »

I've been maintaining the teak on my 28, also named Zephyr for 12 years in the hot Texas sun. Best move I ever made was to not use any tape at all. Use the absolute best quality brush you can get and keep a piece of old tee shirt standing by to wipe up any miscues (which will become fewer and fewer as you perfect your technique). Makes the job way easier.

It's a real pain to put the tape on, and then it gives you a false sense of security and you will wind up getting finish on the tape and some of this will find its way underneath. Then when you remove the tape it will be dry and much harder to clean up.
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

A good brush and Restor A Finish

Post by Ken Cave »

If you have sanded all your teak down, and really don't want to do
it again, try using Restor A Finish. Comes in a pint can and can be
purchased in any big box stores. Also Ace Hardware carries the
stuff in some places. The color you want is Mahogany.

Before you varnish, just rub the product with a cloth onto the teak, then varnish.

If you have damage or problems of scrapes, dents, etc. at a later date just scrape off the varnish on the damage part, put on the Restor A Finish, then varnish the area. It will look good as new, and you don't have to sand off the entire piece of teak.

I usually spend about three hours a year on my teak, and it looks
like brand new. We also do about 1000 miles a year and really put this product to the test.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
CD 28
Dragon Tale
LaConner, WA
frankfurder

teak

Post by frankfurder »

I have the CD25D at Scotts Landing on Lake Grapevine (slip 421) Used to have your new CD25 in the next slip. Let me know the next time you are out working on the teak and I will try to stop by.

Frank Crumb-
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Other than 3M fine line tape, which is ridiculously expensive, the best tape I have run across for varnish or LPU is 3M 233 (it also green). Frog tape is fine for latex paint but as was already stated it is not solvent resistant. It's also not sticky enough to keep the varnish from getting under the edge. 233 is reasonably priced and solvent resistant. You can by it at West Marine or pay less if you order it from Jamestown Distributors.