New CD 25D owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bpiperno

New CD 25D owner

Post by bpiperno »

Dear all,

Now I can safely say I belong to this great group. I recently (after 2 years of looking for one) bought a 1982 CD 25D.

Although I am not new to sailing I am new to maintaining an inboard engine sailboat like the CD 25D.

I will be asking probably a lot of silly questions. I have been trying to educate myself as much as possible but experience is more valuable.

Here is the first question. Which oil is the best for the 1GM inboard? . Does it matter to mix type of oil, in other words does it have to be always the same type?

Thanks
Benjamin
Jacksonville, Florida :D
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Congratulations!

Post by bhartley »

Welcome to the CD/25D Family! She's a great boat and I'm sure you will find your wait worth it.

We use Shell Rotella as the previous owner had.

Bly
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

1982--a very good year

Post by Joe Myerson »

Welcome to the exclusive club of 25D owners. Mine is also from the 1982 vintage--a very good year!

I'm honestly not sure what brand of oil has been used in my engine, but I know that Shell Rotella is one of those recommended by Yanmar.

Being in Jacksonville, you might not have to go through the effort of, pardon the expression, winterizing your 1GM, but if you ever have to perform such a barbaric ritual, it's actually very simple. Dean Abramson, a former 25D owner from Maine, where winterizing is certainly necessary, sent me an excellent set of instructions when I posted an engine-maintenance question on this board.

If you don't have one, I'd suggest getting the service manual for your engine.

Also, if your engine doesn't already have one, I'd strongly urge you to invest in a SpeedSeal cover for your raw-water pump.

Above all, enjoy your new boat and welcome to our exclusive club!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

New 25D

Post by trapper »

Congratulations! You certainly started out with a great boat. I have a 1985 CD25D, hull #180 on Lake Murray, Columbia, SC.

We use SAE30 oil. I don't think brand matters. Would love to see pics. Welcome to the CD board.
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

According to the Yanmar maintenance manual, you should use oil made for diesel engines. I have used Shell Rotella T with no issues. I'm not sure what would happen if you mix types? Best practice would be to empty the oil completely and replace it with a diesel compatible blend. Keep a spare quart on board to periodically fill the oil pan.