Wanted CD25. Maybe a long shot.

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Survey

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

zsleep,

Get a surveyor and go with him while he surveys. Follow Zeida's advice. What you want is to avoid "unanticipated" costs. Of particular importance is the engine - especially how it will run under load. Since repair/replacement of the engine can cost upwards of 50% of the value of the boat - pay attention to this. Cosmetics are cosmetics, sails are sails, but the engine is a different story completely.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Post by zsleep »

First of all, as always, thanks are in order for everyone's help. One moment I think I have decided to buy the 25 then I flip flop and want to go with the 27. All your advice is great and rings true. I will try and heed all of it but know I will also go with my gut. If I do go with the 27 I will get a reputable surveyor. If anyone knows of one in the Buzzards Bay area, pipe up. The seller may be 85 but he knows his stuff. He has maintained the boats well from what I see. He has worked on boats all his life both in his career and for pleasure. He has slowed down and may have slacked off in recent years but the care and devotion is still noticeable. Both boats look excellent for their age. The engine is an older Yanmar , sea water cooled and sideways mounted, according to the owner. I will go see both boats again tomorrow and hopefully come to a decision on what to buy.
wizard

CD25

Post by wizard »

On craigslist with pics in North Carolina, well rigged, looks nice, price is 2,900. Has a trailer custom made but it is extra. Might be worth a look-see. He has a phone number , his name is Bob 336-468-0596, he says he doesn't want to be called after 9pm. I have no connection with this boat at all, just passing along what I saw. Hope this works out for you, he has 4 pics on the craigslist ad. regards, Randy
wizard

CD25

Post by wizard »

Also found one for 1,000, just have to remember where I saw it, give me a day or two, I'll figure it out. Randy. what state do I live in? Flori-duhhh lol.
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Getting closer

Post by zsleep »

Here is an update: She passed the survey with very high marks. Found a surveyor in the area who used to work for Cape Dory. Maybe fate? He did a thorough job. Says the boat is worth the asking price. Currently waiting for the seller to draw up a bill of sale. Boat needs an alternator, 2 new batteries, bottom scraped and painted, and a little TLC. I am very excited to get in a little sailing in this season but trying to contain myself because of my previous experience with a seller backing out at the last minute.
wizard

CD25

Post by wizard »

The one for 1,000 is on Sailboatlisting.com and is located in Ct. If you have already purchased the 27 good for you...Randy
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Zsleep.... BRAVO!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Post by zsleep »

Thanks Zeida. I'm not celebrating yet. Don't want to jinx myself.
gnelson
Location: 25' Cape Dory sloop 'Glory', Allen Harbor No. Kingstown, RI

cd25 available

Post by gnelson »

zsleep,
If you are still considering the 25 check my ad just posted tonight. Boat is located in RI and is ready to sail.
Greg Nelson
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

It's a done deal

Post by zsleep »

Just to let you all know. There is hope in the world. I got my Cape Dory! I closed the deal on a CD 27 yesterday. I had to order a new alternator but it's done. I hope to sail her home this weekend from Monument Beach to Marthas Vineyard. Weather looks great. Thanks for everyone's help and support. Now comes the real challenge. Learn to sail, pay for her, say goodbye to all my other hobbies. I'm sure I will be back here with questions. Stay tuned. :D [/b]
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Congratulations :!:

It took you less than a month to do what it took me more than four (4) years to do :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Together

Post by tjr818 »

zsleep,
Although I have owned our CD27 for almost a year, I am still learning, but today the wind was steady at 10 kts out of the SE. I had a wonderful time. Enjoy your new boat.
Sláinte
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27