Sanitary overboard seacock selection - Spartan/Groco/other

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Brian Johnson
Wilmington, NC

Sanitary overboard seacock selection - Spartan/Groco/other

Post by Brian Johnson »

My cape dory 26 currently has a groco ball valve screwed to a mushroom fitting for the through hull that is used to pump the holding tank overboard. The ball valve froze from lack of use and the handle sheared off when I tried to free the valve. I have read the numerous posts regarding the inadequacy of this setup. All other through hull penetrations have the traditional cape dory seacocks, so not sure what happened here.

So I am looking for opinions on the merits of a spartan seacock vs groco type seacock for this particular valve....I like the spartans, but not sure the sanitary overboard valve is a valve I am excited about tearing apart on a routine basis to maintain....seems like a dirty job.

Appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks
Brian
Brian Johnson
Russell

Re: Sanitary overboard seacock selection - Spartan/Groco/oth

Post by Russell »

Brian Johnson wrote: So I am looking for opinions on the merits of a spartan seacock vs groco type seacock for this particular valve....I like the spartans, but not sure the sanitary overboard valve is a valve I am excited about tearing apart on a routine basis to maintain....seems like a dirty job.
Honestly, its not really a dirty job, not any more so then maintenance on any other spartan seacock. I have spartan seacocks on my holding tank pump out and on my direct overboard discharge seacock. Never when taking them apart for maintenance have I found "gross stuff" in them. Being below the waterline and exposed to the water keeps them pretty well flushed of that stuff when used.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Sanitary overboard seacock selection - Spartan/Groco/oth

Post by Carter Brey »

Russell wrote:
Brian Johnson wrote: So I am looking for opinions on the merits of a spartan seacock vs groco type seacock for this particular valve....I like the spartans, but not sure the sanitary overboard valve is a valve I am excited about tearing apart on a routine basis to maintain....seems like a dirty job.
Honestly, its not really a dirty job, not any more so then maintenance on any other spartan seacock. I have spartan seacocks on my holding tank pump out and on my direct overboard discharge seacock. Never when taking them apart for maintenance have I found "gross stuff" in them. Being below the waterline and exposed to the water keeps them pretty well flushed of that stuff when used.
I agree with Russell. I have the same Spartan tapered barrel seacock on my Sabre's overboard discharge and I service it every year. The constant wash of seawater efficiently cleanses it of any... um... gastrointestinal effluent.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

By the time I service the seacock, the tank has been rinsed more than once with fresh water and pumped overboard through that fitting. It's then left in the open position all winter while the boat is on the hard. There's nothing at all nasty about the job.

That said, I changed diapers for my two kids and pick up after my dogs. The head and tank can be gross, but no worse than those.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Seacocky

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have all Spartan, including my overboard discharge. Neil is correct, after children and dogs dealing with a holding tank is a walk in the park.....without the doggie bag. Personally I disassemble and grease all my seacocks every other year. I do test each one pre-launch and any hint of stiffness results in immediate disassembly. I'd stick with the Spartans for commonalities sake. Cuts down on spares.
Brian Johnson
Wilmington, NC

Thanks

Post by Brian Johnson »

Appreciate the input...think I'll go ahead and replace with the Spartans.
Brian Johnson