No Reef Hook(s) on CD 27?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

My set up, at least, is not the single line reefing system. I knew about that when I decided to go with the 2 line system.

At the time my research said that with the sail area on my CD27 mainsail a single line reefing system was NOT advised because of excessive friction. All those "course changes" of a single line going through all those blocks would create quite a bit a friction on a single line and hauling that line in from the cockpit would be difficult to do because you'd have to pull very hard to overcome that friction. Add any wind load on the mainsail at the time of reefing and it would be difficult indeed even with a winch. A two line system spreads the load and makes it much easier. Indeed I can reef, even with some load on the main, without the use of a winch at all, and I can do it in about half a minute.

Having said that, single line reefing systems have been improved since I installed my two line system years ago, and I understand that it isn't a problem anymore to use a single line system on a CD27, albeit still with greater load on the line than the split two line system.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Troy Scott

Single Line Reefing

Post by Troy Scott »

Hi Warren,
Well, there are several fine ways to reef, and yours is doubtless as good as any. The last boat I installed this system on was a Pearson 332. Of course the main was smaller than the main on my 36, but it did work well and easily, from the cockpit.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Single Line Reefing

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Troy Scott wrote:Hi Warren,
Well, there are several fine ways to reef, and yours is doubtless as good as any. The last boat I installed this system on was a Pearson 332. Of course the main was smaller than the main on my 36, but it did work well and easily, from the cockpit.
Troy,

I'm not surprised. I've known other sailors who have put single line systems on their boats and liked them, even though the mainsail areas on their boats are larger than on mine.

At the time I had to go with what I read before I picked up drill, screwdrivers and wrenches to install "some" system. I too am very happy with what I have.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

single line reefing

Post by Jimbo »

Hey troy, what you describe is essentially what I have on my 27. The only difference is that rather than going through the forward clew I have a block sewn to the sail there. It really is a 2 handed operation pulling the reefing line from the clutch and also pulling on it at the aft end of the sail to get a decent shape. JIM
paul marko

Reef hooks.

Post by paul marko »

I have 3 reef pts. on my main. Through each each clew I have nylon webbing with a D ring sown on either side of the sail. There is enough lenth of webbing to allow attachment to an open hook either side of the goose neck.

I release the main halyard a measured amount and hook the D ring on to the hook, tighten the halyard. I have a small wench on the boom to pull the leach tightly along the boom and put in the reef ties if needed. I do all this single handed with an assist from my wind vane.

cheers Paul Marko
Troy Scott

Roller reefing

Post by Troy Scott »

If I remember correctly, one of my small Cape Dorys had "roller reefing". The idea was to pull on the end of the boom to disengage it (it was spring loaded) and then roll the sail up on it. That just never worked for me. ;-/
Regards,
Troy Scott
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Roller reefing was a disaster!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Troy,

There was a brief period, in the late 60s and early 70s I think, when roller reefing was considered a great new invention.

As far as I can tell, almost everybody who had it found it impractical, and many retrofitted their boats with old-fashioned, and now contemporary, slab reefing.

Mark,

With the exception of the winch on the boom, your reefing system is just like mine. The sailmaker put the rings and webbing at each reef cringle, and I use a single reefing line to secure the clew.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Reefing hooks

Post by tjr818 »

John Vigor wrote:Duncan, you can buy ready-made reefing hooks from West Marine. I fitted two to my CD27. You slip them over the gooseneck bolt (or get a slightly longer bolt if necessary).

You'll find them in the catalog under mainsail reefing accessories. I used the Suncor tack hooks but they also offer fancier reefing hooks with a greater twist. All in stainless steel, of course.

Cheers,

John V.

John, I have a CD27 and I would love to have reefing hooks on the gooseneck, but I can't figure out how. Can you give me a picture of what you have? Here is what I have[img][img]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... _0776s.jpg[/img][/img]
Do I attach to the 1/2" dia. pin? Replace the clew pin with a bolt? Or drill a hole thru the boom and the gooseneck casting? How far in does that casting extend?
Thanks,
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
tjr818

Bump

Post by tjr818 »

Bueller...Bueller...anyone?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Tim, what about tying a reefing hook with a loop around the gooseneck? Thats how I do it on my Ty.
David van den Burgh

Re: Bump

Post by David van den Burgh »

tjr818 wrote:Bueller...Bueller...anyone?
What about something like these? There are other options on the RigRite page: http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Reef_Hooks.html

ImageImage
Joe Myerson

Re: Bump

Post by Joe Myerson »

David van den Burgh wrote: Image
That's what I've got on Creme Brulee, and it works pretty well.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818

Position

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks everyone,
Are you using webbing through the reef cringles and metal rings, or are you putting the reef cringle directly onto the hooks? I am wondering about the hooks being forward of the Tack cringle. Does that cause any problems?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Joe Myerson

Rings and webbing

Post by Joe Myerson »

Tim,

When I bought my boat, I was trying to hook the cringles directly to the reefing hooks (as illustrated above). This method put a strange twist into the sailcloth and only really worked for one reef point, so I found myself using a length of line, tied around the gooseneck, when I had to take in a second reef while under way.

When I had a new main made, I explained the problem to the sailmaker, and he installed "earrings" on webbing. That was six or seven years ago, and I've been using that system ever since.

BTW, if you use the ring-and-webbing system, I'd suggest you make the webbing for the second reef point a little longer than the first, as bunt left over from the first reef can make it very difficult to get the second ring around the hook.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Earrings

Post by bhartley »

My setup is similar to Joe's except instead of nice webbing and rings, we just have a piece of line that has a loop tied on either side. The piece of line is probably 7/16" and is tied pretty short so it doesn't get in the way when not reefed. Only one loop is place on the horn as Joe discussed above. Our gooseneck fitting is identical to Joe's. Works great.