Wanted CD25. Maybe a long shot.

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Wanted CD25. Maybe a long shot.

Post by zsleep »

I am a newbie located on Martha's Vineyard. I have fallen heavy for the beautiful Cape Dory's. I had a seller back out on me at the last minute. I went out and bought a VHS and GPS and some other things. At this point I have no boat. $4000.00 is my absolute top price. Wish I could pay more. Must be delivered,within a reasonable sailing distance, or come with a road worthy trailer. Any sellers? Any member help? Thanks in advance to all of you CD'ers. I will find my Dory someday.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Oh...oh... echoes of Sea Hunt...
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Zeida wrote:Oh...oh... echoes of Sea Hunt...
Hey, I "resemble" that remark :!: :D

ZSleep:

If you have not already, you should check out the following websites, among others:

www.yachtworld.com
www.sailboatlistings.com
www.boats.com
www.boattrader.com
www.sailingtexas.com
www.ablboats.com

They each have "pluses" and "minuses".

You can also check eBay and Craigs List. I never used either one because, as I understand it, you are essentially buying/bedding on something (especially eBay) without actually seeing the sailboat. With my limited experience, knowledge, etc. I was uncomfortable doing that.

Yachtworld.com will generally have a lot of photos of each sailboat but make sure you confirm when the photos were taken. A lot can happen to a sailboat in 4-5 years. Also Yachtworld listings are only for brokers. Thus, you have to deal with the seller's broker, not the seller.

Good luck with your search :!: The journey can be fun if you have the right attitude about Cape Dory sailboats. Cape Dory owners are a bunch of really, really nice folks and very good sailors (me excepted :( ).
Last edited by Sea Hunt Video on Sep 19th, '11, 10:41, edited 2 times in total.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Yup...! will never never never find a 25D for that price... those are little jewels... but the search is the fun part!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Post by zsleep »

Thanks Zeida and Sea Hunt. I am looking for a CD25. I know I will not find the 25D or anything larger at that price.I have checked all of those sites listed. I actually found a sweet deal ($2500) on Yachtworld(ad still there, in Clinton,CT) but the seller decided to back out after I sent a deposit and signed P&S. Supposedly gave it to a family member. I did find another CD25 not far from me on craigslist. Will look at her in the next few days hopefully. They can be found in decent shape at this price, probably because the headroom issue and this crappy economy. I will prevail. Thanks for your support.
Last edited by zsleep on Sep 21st, '11, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Coogan
Location: CD25 "Flying Bugster" and CD30C, "Flying Bugster II," Vineyard Haven, MA

CD25 on Martha's Vineyard

Post by Bill Coogan »

Rob Courcer (I believe that's his name.) had a CD25 in Vineyard Haven Harbor next to my CD25 (Flying Bugster). His is out of the water this year. I don't know whether he has sold it, but it's worth inquiring about. Rob worked at Wind's Up in past years. I don't know whether he's still there.

Give me a call if there's anything you'd like to discuss about CD25s. I'm in the phone book, and my boat will be in the water for another week.

Good luck.
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Post by zsleep »

Thanks Bill. I have seen your boat out there. May be calling you. Almost rowed out to you a few days ago to chat. I will see if I can locate Rob.
Carl Thunberg

Boneyard Boats

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If $4,000 is your absolute top dollar, you might want to think about looking for an ugly, neglected CD25 in the back corner of a boatyard in the boneyard. A lot of these boats are actually in very sound condition and waiting for someone with more time than money to bring them back. They can be had for short dollars and you can put that $4,000 into restoration. If you go this route, just be prepared for a lot of hard work. It's not for everyone, but it can be extremely rewarding when you finally launch. I'm on my third restoration now.

All that being said, it only works if the hull is sound and there's minimal or no saturated core. If you're not sure how to check for these things, bring along a friend who does.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jerezana

There's one in Maine

Post by Jerezana »

Advertised in Uncle Henry's for $2295:

solid hull and decks, good mast and boom, three sails, new jack stands. Needs tiller, tabernackle, toilet, foward cushions. Good project. Interior is in good over all condition for the age. Interior celling is in excellent condition. Very sea worthy weekender. Will barter for most any thing of equal value. I do not have the time to finish the boat. I have too many boats at this time. I am interested in a smaller sail or power boat or outboard engines etc.
Chris Gordon
zsleep
Arcadia
Vineyard Haven,MA

Post by zsleep »

Went to look at a CD25 not far from me. Nice looking boat in quite good shape. I got the owner down to $4000 from $5000, ready to sail away. One hitch, he also had a CD27 back at home on the hard. "Well, I might as well take a look at her" I says. Wouldn't you know it, and I know you guys do. I fell in love with her. Also in great shape. Hull and decks solid, older Yanmar runs great, not a full compliment of sails but enough in decent shape for a beginner. O.k., here's the clincher. $11,500. The owner is the nicest old Cape Cod salt, 85 years, doesn't want to give up sailing but can't sail alone much anymore. I asked, will he come sailing with me and teach me what he can? He lit up to this idea. How can I turn this down? If I buy this one I don't have to think about an upgrade in a few years. HELP~! I have to have her! I will try and sleep on it but I have a feeling I can't pass this one up.
tartansailor

Re: Boneyard Boats

Post by tartansailor »

Carl Thunberg wrote:If $4,000 is your absolute top dollar, you might want to think about looking for an ugly, neglected CD25 in the back corner of a boatyard in the boneyard. A lot of these boats are actually in very sound condition and waiting for someone with more time than money to bring them back. They can be had for short dollars and you can put that $4,000 into restoration. If you go this route, just be prepared for a lot of hard work. It's not for everyone, but it can be extremely rewarding when you finally launch. I'm on my third restoration now.

All that being said, it only works if the hull is sound and there's minimal or no saturated core. If you're not sure how to check for these things, bring along a friend who does.
I would add corroded iron backing plates for the standing rigging stays.
That gets real involved.

Dick
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

zsleep,

of COURSE you would fall in love with the 27. She is by far the beauty of the CD fleet and probably the best sailor of them all. (I am partial to the 27 as you can see) BUT beware. How was she maintained? How old is she? How could an 85 yrs. old owner keep her in good condition? You need a good surveyor that can be totally trustworthy and know about engines. And you go sailing with owner and surveyor to talk about the boat.

What engine does she have and how old is it? You will get a lot of support from this board regarding all those things, but find out as much as possible before you buy. The motor mounts, are they in good shape? or cracked? When was the engine serviced last?

The WIRING: how old? ever been upgraded? do all the lights work? How is the teak overall... inside and out? How solid is the hull? The keel, the rudder and prop shaft... are they in solid condition? Are there cracks along there anywhere? The rigging: original? upgraded? Miriad things you will need to know, or learn, before you buy one boat or another. Get someone who really knows - when buying an old boat like our lovely CD's. :D If you can get happy answers to these questions, you will never b e sorry with that CD27. IMHO. :wink:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Keep your eyes open.

We bought our CD25 on EBay for $1225. It had a bad case blisters but was otherwise in decent condition. I have chosen to slowly refurbish it since we already have a Capri 22 in the water. Now that our skills and ambitions have increased, we are chopping at the bit to get the CD25 in the water.

It depends on how much TLC you want (can) to give.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Bibster

zsleep, I have a CD25 that I was preparing to sell

Post by Bibster »

that suffered some minor damage to her stern from Hurricane Irene. Otherwise, she is in very good shape (good sails, newer Harken roller furling, new running rigging, sound hull, etc.) and she looks great. PM me, we might be able to work something out that would benefit both of us.
eyeback

One for sale in St Loius

Post by eyeback »

zsleep, I know this is outside your price range and area but it might be worth taking a look at the photos
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/2601956144.html
Peter