BoatPix.com?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

BoatPix.com?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Creme Brulee was one of very few boats out on Buzzards Bay on Sunday. The gusty wind blew out of the north, possibly as much as 30 kts. maximum (I've stopped guessing, because it's easy to exaggerate), under a cold, gray sky.

She was was heeled over, with the rail almost in the water, under full genny and double-reefed mainsail, when a helicopter started circling the boat. I could see a photographer leaning out the window. I waved. He circled twice, obviously taking lots of pictures.

On the pontoons of the helicopter, in large letters, was the URL "www.boatpix.com."

So, when I got home, I visited the website. The minimum price for a 16" by 20" print seems to be $250!

Too bad--I'm sure he got some spectacular shots--but that's a lot of boat bucks, especially this close to haul-out.

I'm curious: Has anybody ever ordered from these folks?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Yep.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I've got two nice big photos (16 x 20") of Realization that were snapped on two separate occasions from helicopters. [ Remember, the cost of running that helicopter has to be factored into the price of the photos. And the guy's trying to earn a living.] Anyway, one of mine was snapped during "Sail for America" in New York Harbor in 2002 and the other was snapped as we were entering the Cape Cod Canal (the Sandwich side) on a rainy day.

They'll send you the photos in the mail. You've got a few days to decide if you want any of them or not. Only purchase the one(s) that you want (if any) and return the rest.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Joe Myerson

Thanks for the response

Post by Joe Myerson »

Cathy,

I understand that it's expensive to run a helicopter, which is something the website makes plain, and I'm sure that the photos would be great.

Unfortunately, I'm already spending a lot on my boating addiction, with haul-out approaching and my pending trip to Fairhope, Alabama.

Ironically, I celebrated my birthday last week. If I had been able to predict the presence of the BoatPix helo, I might have been able to get the family to chip in.

Maybe next season ...

--Joe
P.S. See you and Bruce in Dixie.
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jerezana

Mine's still a treasure

Post by Jerezana »

Joe,

I bought a BoatPix photo of my old Triton racing from Annapolis to Oxford MD about 15 years ago. The price then was only about $50. The photo was shot at the perfect moment when we had just launched the spinnaker and found that one of the sheets had been led wrong. Out competitors were bearing down on us and the crew had to scramble to fix the problem. My amazing foredeck man was holding the sheet winchless in with one arm, with about 20 knots of wind trying to pull his shoulder apart, while the rest of crew reran it the right way. I don't know how the photographer knew to snap his one picture just then. But that framed picture has occupied a prized spot on wall ever since. That $50 seemed like a lot of money at the time but I wouldn't sell it for any amount now. Some things are worth the investment when they on;y come around once.

Chris
Chris Gordon
kerlandsen

Same story

Post by kerlandsen »

We were flying north from the canal on our way to Scituate. Broad reaching in 16 or knots, steady 6kts on the speedo. I had run the jib to leeward on the end of the whisker pole, for two reasons. A. I did not like the shape of the genoa when sheeted to the rail, and B. I had not been able to use the whisker pole yet, and it was a fresh ebay purchase.

It was a beautiful day. We smiled. We wondered why they circled us to photograph us and not the next two guys behind us. Made us feel special. I too was scared away by the price tag, only to find out two days later that my rudder would break, I do not feel compelled to shell out the money right now. Probably a fantastic picture. Oh well. I would like to be convinced to shell out the money.

Kyle
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I got a perfectly good picture of LIQUIDITY for free from John Ring. Of course, you need to be in the right place at the right time.

http://bostonsailors.blogspot.com/
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson

Rub it in, Neil!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Go ahead and rub it in.

BTW, was John taking his shots from the air?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
barfwinkle

Speaking of pics

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello, I am looking for a couple of high res photos of the Cape Dory 36 under sail to run with a review by John Kretschmer in our Used Boat Notebook department. Thanks for your help. I am on deadline so there is a time issue.
I got an email from Sailing Magazine today. Can anyone help me out? Evergreen? Lady Pauline? Mariah? Mahalo? Ariel? Raven? Nutmeg? Others? As you can see there is a press deadline! Anyone?

Fair Winds and get those Fairhope registrations in the mail please.
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Rub it in, Neil!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:Go ahead and rub it in.

BTW, was John taking his shots from the air?

--Joe
As best I remember, it was from the cockpit of a CD28, at approximately sea level.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
aja

Boatpix

Post by aja »

Diana and I had pictures taken from them back in 2005 between Narragansett Bay and Cuttyhunk. It was expensive, but well worth it. High quality pics.
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
kerlandsen

I took a bite

Post by kerlandsen »

Based on some feedback here, I took the pill.
I will report on what I find. I have to remember to return them within 10 days or I get charged for all of them.

Kyle
Joe Myerson

I'll await your judgement, Kyle

Post by Joe Myerson »

Kyle,

I'm not sure that I can justify spending that kind of money for a photograph, but I'd be very interested in your reaction to the prints.

Best of luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Offer

Post by JimMc »

I would say contact them and make them an offer. The picture isn't worth a lot to them as is. If you offer them $100, they might figure that $100 is better than $0 and accept your proposal.

Jim.
----------------
John Nebilak

Post by John Nebilak »

A Photo of Indigo from SF Bay. Image

John
John
Neil Gordon

Re: Offer

Post by Neil Gordon »

JimMc wrote:I would say contact them and make them an offer. The picture isn't worth a lot to them as is. If you offer them $100, they might figure that $100 is better than $0 and accept your proposal.

Jim.
----------------
No harm in trying but I suspect they'll decline, as word would quickly get around. I would think they know what pricing optimizes their return.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698