Railings, Rudder, Stanchions

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
alambertfl

Railings, Rudder, Stanchions

Post by alambertfl »

Hello All,
I have just purchased a hurricane damaged boat and I am looking for a bow rail, stanchions, stern rail, and a rudder as well as teak for the toe railing. If anyone can steer me in the right direction for any of the above, this newby would be grateful. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sonny Lambert
S/V Rubicon
78 CD 25 Hull #653
Fleming Island, FL[/url]
Sonny Lambert
S/V Rubicon
1978 CD 25 Hull #653
Fleming Island, FL
MikeD
Location: Sea Glass (1967 Pearson Ariel #414), Totoro (1977 SS23 #626)

Post by MikeD »

Mike
Sea Glass (Pearson Ariel #414)
Totoro (SS23 #626)
doubleb

Parts

Post by doubleb »

Sailors exchange, St. Augustine,
Or drop in on Green Cove springs marina there is a 25 that has been sitting there for a while, some work looks to have been done but not alot that I can tell,

Good luck
B.B.
wizard

parts

Post by wizard »

There is a marine liquidator in Ft. Pierce on US1 that has a tremendous amout of stuff, if you wish to take a drive. I don't know if they have a website or not. They have 2 warehouses with everthing from rails to wood.
alambertfl

Railings, Stanchions, Rudder

Post by alambertfl »

Thanks guys,
doublb, my boat is actually at Green Cove Springs marina as well. It is currently in the storage lot. I will move it to the working yard as soon as I solve the rudder problem. I have looked at the 25 you mentioned. I got the name of the owner from the marina and have called and asked permission to make a template from the rudder on that boat if necessary. Haven't heard back from him yet, however, I believe the damage to that boat is worse than mine from what I have seen.
Thank all of you for your responses. I will definitely follow up.
Sonny Lambert
S/V Rubicon
1978 CD 25 Hull #653
Fleming Island, FL
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

MikeD wrote:...Not in your area, but maybe they'll ship:

http://www.massmarineparts.com/sailboatrailings.aspx
Mike, thanks, that is one dynamite link!
I've been looking around for a stern rail for my CD 27 for ages, and now I'll bet I'll find something suitable at Mass Marine.
Thanks again
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

My boat was also a hurricane damaged boat. I made my own stern rail using 1 inch ss tubing with .065 wall. After buying new stanchions and not liking them, I had the old one cut and new stock welded to them. You can not see the repair. As far as the teak, I had a cabinet shop make new ones but to save money I used mahogany. You can read about the work we did to her here: http://kaldenbach.us/sailing/capedory31.html
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
alambertfl

Bow Rail, Stanchions, Rudder

Post by alambertfl »

Mike and Kevin,
Thank you so much for your input. I immediately sent an email to Mass Marine Parts about shipping and am awaiting their response.
Kevin, You have given me inspiration for making my stern rail, but I'm not too sure about the bow rail. May need some help there. Will try to upload pictures so you can see what I am talking about. You mentioned using mahogany for your cabinets. Were you also referring to the toe rail?
I am told that there is a synthetic wood called Trex that can be ordered in a honey teak color. Some of my friends on the CSY Owners Forum have said that they had good luck with it and it looked good after varnishing. I haven't decided what to do about that yet.( I also own a CSY 33 that I am going to sell, downsizing.)I would like to see a couple of years of their experience with it installed before I go that route. If it holds up it should be a terrific replacement for the very expensive teak.I'm rambling so will close. Just wanted to thank all of you for your valued input. I will upload photos as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Sonny Lambert
S/V Rubicon
1978 CD 25 Hull #653
Fleming Island, FL