Hurricane Irene Prep

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: An older man...

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerlandsen wrote:just told me:

"The bills at MGH are lot higher than the bills at the yard. "

His custom built Morris 46 is very well protected at this time.

(he is the pres of the company, we get along great)

Kyle
I'm insured either way.

It's not about protecting the boat... if my boat or my neighbor's breaks lose or whatever, in conditions that cause that I'm not likely to be able to do anything about it.

I was on board for a two day spring nor'easter several years ago though, and it was a fun ride in the slip. Hurricane conditions though, I'd probably opt out.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Those of you who haul make sure you place boards with a large surface area under the jack stands. Jack stands have been known to sink into water saturated ground and cause a boat to fall over on its side.
Have A Nice Day
M. R. Bober

Good news;No Cantore.

Post by M. R. Bober »

A little bit of hope, Jim Cantore has not been seen in Sunny Lancaster. Keep him away from your area!

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where most visitors are warmly welcomed.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

sharkbait wrote:Those of you who haul make sure you place boards with a large surface area under the jack stands. Jack stands have been known to sink into water saturated ground and cause a boat to fall over on its side.
Just what I need to hear :!: Thanks :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think it is time to start preparing Dark N' Stormies. I recently learned that you are supposed to pour the ginger beer first and then slowly "layer in" Gosling's Black Seal Rum on top. Apparently, if you look along the side of the glass it looks like a storm approaching with dark clouds, etc. Just what I need :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: Good news;No Cantore.

Post by RIKanaka »

M. R. Bober wrote:A little bit of hope, Jim Cantore has not been seen in Sunny Lancaster. Keep him away from your area!

VA
He's been sighted in Providence. Yikes!
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Stefan

hang on tight

Post by Stefan »

Wishing our cape dory friends on the east coast the best of luck.
M. R. Bober

Final step

Post by M. R. Bober »

Well all that I can think of has been tied up, taken down, double secured, and/or generally made as fast as possible.

The final step: Sharpen the chain saw because you never know.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where we wait, watchfully.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
rghinson

Post by rghinson »

Good luck, Mitchell and thanks to you and everyone for all the help and advice. May we all find shelter from the storm. There comes a time when we have done all we know to do and have to quit trying which for me is one of the hardest times.

Best,

Reid
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Hurricane Irene

Post by cjrs472 »

Wish all the best and that no harm will come to you & fam
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I went up to Oyster Bay yesterday to prepare Sine Qua Non. All sails removed and stowed. Cowl vents removed and screw in inserts in place. Solar vent stopped and closed off. All the usual stuff discussed here.

My fear of course are other boats, not well prepared (or even ones that are) breaking loose and drifting down on my boat.

I am philosophical about it though. I know I've done everything I can, short of hauling her (impossible with so many boats at my marina). So, if the worst happens, I'll feel bad but not because of anything I did or didn't do.

My house is on the south shore of Long Island. Ugh! But this is a sailing board, not a pharmacy board hyping the value of antidepressants!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Good Luck Everyone

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Well that's it-sails and boom off, boat moved to a larger slip, all lines doubled up with a bit of slack, chafing gear on. Keeping my fingers crossed, hope everyone comes out OK.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

22 to 24 Ft waves forecaster for Fishers and Long Island Sound!

I have done everything within the normal realm of storm prep. I am still a bit worried about my mooring holding in that kind of sea. I am just not sure how much scope the mooring has.

I just thought about one more possibility this evening and there would still be time to implement it tomorrow. There is lots of space around me in the mooring field and another mooring very near my stern in the forecasted winds.

I think I am going down there tomorrow before the winds pick up and tie into that puppy. If shackle on some chain and then a good long, heavy, line, it should hold me if my mooring rips out. It is the scope I am worried about. If my mooring should come lose that would put me on a pretty long scope and the second one should hold.

A tangled mess? Maybe, but I still might feel more comfortable.

I am also hoping the storm surge will be enough to keep her from hitting bottom.

I am in a somewhat sheltered area but 24' waves?!!!

This is for real, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Landfall in NC is about an hour away. We are prepared to evacuate, but are hoping not. We will probably lose internet so I want to wish everyone well while I am still able.

Be safe.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where it may be sunny Monday) VA
CDSOA Founding Member