Tragedy and Death in the recent Chicago-Mackinaw race.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Tragedy and Death in the recent Chicago-Mackinaw race.

Post by Zeida »

One more lesson to be learned: I have been getting ready to install my new jacklines on Bandolera, so that most of the time, since I sail alone, I will be wearing my Mustang PDF and sailing harness, and clipping safely to those lines. It should give me peace of mind, as well as security, no?

Well, what do you know. One of the racing boats on the Chicago-Mac race, flipped over, and from their six crew members, two were not able to unclip on time during a vicious storm. Their 'biners got stuck, or they just were not able to unclip. A man and a woman. They died. Several other racers immediately went to their rescue, but the two dead sailors were under the overturned hull and could not be saved. Moral of the story: try not to get caught out on a vicious storm. Sail safely. use the best equipment ever, especially the ones that could save your life.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

My tether has a quick release with a few beads on the release lanyard. I always keep this to the right side when I clip it to the harness. It would be pretty easy to reach it and clear away if you were not severely injured.

Your post made me think about it again and I realize that I also clip the spare, long or short tether to the D rings. This negates the quick release feature and in face doubles the risk of being unable to release yourself.

This might take some consideration. Independent long and short tethers, each with it's own quick release might be the best way to handle this.

It is such a shame that these people died in such a horrible way. There will be some good of it if there deaths make use all a bit safer in the future, Steve.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Safety Equipment

Post by Oswego John »

Zeida, Steve and all,

I have just finished reading both of your posts and came away with the following, sobering thought.

What a terrible way to die, thinking that all was okay, being fully protected with proper safety gear.

In line with Steve's quick release clip, the thought came that there might be some sort of quick release that attaches to the harness that has provision for two or more safety tethers to be fastened to it.

In other words, a quick release clip that is in series between the harness and all other tethers. No matter which tether is being used, the quick release will disengage whatever is downstream from it.

Whatever, be safe out there.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Connect the quick release shackle to the D rings on the harness. Clip the tethers to the quick release shackle. If you run out of room on the shackle, clip the next tether to the last tether, in series. One pull and the harness released from everything.

Note: If you're injured and underwater, or underwater and can't release, you're probably screwed. OTOH, if you're overboard and not attached to the boat, you're probably screwed injured or not. Pick your poison.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Thanks Neil. I was over thinking things again. I just need to fasten the tether ends to the quick release instead of through the D rings. Even if I have to add a shackle it should be easy enough to get into the habit and solve the problem.

I know this sounds gruesome but it is far less likely that anyone would ever be trapped under water than be lost as the boat sails away. If you are dead either way, at least the recovery of a body is assured and the mourning can proceed, Steve.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Another factor

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

While feeling terrible about the loss of life that occurred in this incident, I was struck by the newspaper photo that showed the boat afloat in the inverted position. Had the hull design been more likely to right itself they may have had a chance.

I'm not a naval architect but I have always believed a CD would right itself after a capsize. Is that true, or could one of ours remain inverted?
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Alan D.
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Alan D. »

The two sailors died of head trauma. They never had a chance to unclip.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110726/N ... /1001/news
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Do you guy's carry knifes on your pfd when using a tether? Seems to me that would be the safest quick release of all.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Personally No. I wear one on my belt: PFD, Harness or not. It seems to be the best way to have one readily available because in over 99.99% of the time you will need it will be non-emergency.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I would think getting a Cape Dory to remain inverted would be harder than having a quarter stand on end on the dash of a moving car. We can ask Yve Gélinas who rolled his Alberg 30 in the roaring 40s.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
barfwinkle

A Knife

Post by barfwinkle »

Markst95 wrote:Do you guy's carry knifes on your pfd when using a tether? Seems to me that would be the safest quick release of all.
Having an extremely sharp knife perferrably one with a sharp serrated blade would seem very prudent. Back in the whitewater canoeing days, I never got in the boat without my knife affixed to the life jacket, within an arms reach, and that knife was "NEVER" used for anything other than cutting in a emergency, NEVER. Thankfully I never had to use that knife and still haven't some 20 years later.

What a tragic accident.
Bill Member #250.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Here us what I use:

Have A Nice Day
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Here us what I use:

Have A Nice Day
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Sharp

Post by Jim Davis »

An old sailor taught me too many decades ago that if you want a "rope knife" never sharpen it with a stone. Always use a file so you get a jagged (serrated) edge that will rip its way through rope and not dull as quickly. He did not recommend shaving with this type edge.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Mac Race

Post by jim trandel »

Lake Michigan Sailing weather is often unforgiving. The boat, Wingnuts, was not your usual Mac racing boat. It was only a 3000# displacement and a 1000# ballast (not much different than my Ty). It was fast and did not have much draft. According to my mooring neighbor, who did this race, he stated that the boat had a high probability of capsizing due to windward forces on the "wings". The crew used the wings to hike out but the wind used the wings to lever a capsize event. It's very unfortunate but I do not believe that you will see this type of boat allowed in the Mac Race rules even again!

Jim