COAMING MOUNTED CAM CLEATS FOR TYPHOON 125 JIB

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ckelly

COAMING MOUNTED CAM CLEATS FOR TYPHOON 125 JIB

Post by ckelly »

Do I need an extra mounting block? Size?
Is the coaming board strong enough without a block?
Is their a cam cleat that I can mount directly to the coaming without using a block?

Location on coaming?

Can I mount on the outside or top of the coaming for comfort?

I sail alone many times, always in shifty up and down winds constantly tacking or adjusting the jib. I think cam cleats would be easier, faster and safer than the horn cleats.

A third hand would make it simple.

I searched using a couple of descriptions but could not find the perfect answer.

Thanks for your help, Chris
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Cam Cleat on Coaming

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Chris,

I have cleats on my Ty coamings for ages. Since the strain from the jib is fore and aft, there is no sideways force. There is little if any chance for the jib sheet to cause the coaming to split. (Knock on wood after my saying that)

I, personally, like to use a horn cleat, which was original equipment, for the jib sheet. I developed the practice of looping the sheet once around the cleat base and draping it over a horn. In case of a puff or other similar situation, it is easy for me to slack off the sheet.

That being said, I suppose it is just as easy to slack off using a cam cleat. My brother liked to use jam cleats for his jib.

So I suppose that a block under your cleat would be okay, but I wonder if it is necessary. The cleat is only as strong as the fasteners used to secure it.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sally Perreten

jib cleats

Post by Sally Perreten »

I find that the horn cleats on Echo jam nicely if you go around the right way a couple of times. They are quick to release when you need to. In my mid 70's, I don't choose to single hand in heavy winds, but in moderate winds I have no trouble. So I'm thinking you don't need jam cleats. In a heavy wind they might be harder to release than using the horn cleats as jam cleats.

That said, Echo has a working jib, not a jenny.

Sally
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Cam Cleats

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Mount them on the cabin top instead

http://tinyurl.com/CamCleat