recommendation for anchor / rode for CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rorik

Post by rorik »

FWIW my CD28 has a 35# CQR on 30' of 5/16 BBB and 400' of 1/2" nylon. Spare is a 12# Danforth on 25' of 5/16" BBB and 200' of nylon.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Klem

Post by Klem »

I screwed on an eyebolt that I bought on McMaster-Carr to the end of one of the bowsprit bolts and then I attach the bitter end of the anchor rode with a bowline. On a 27, finding a bowsprit bolt isn't going to work but there should be some other hardware that is accessible.
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

35 lb CQR.....

Post by Michael Heintz »

I use a 35# CQR with 30 ft of 5/16th chain with an additional 200 feet of rode.

I like the CQR's ability to reset as previously mentioned. I use this on my CD30MKII about 10,000 lbs displacement.

Knock wood I have never dragged even in Block Island when it's rippin there.

I 'm glad I have a windlass. Lewmar Pro Fish 1000. It broke last week and guess what I sent it in for service and they just sent me a brand new one.

Can you believe a 5 year guarantee on this type of equipment exposed to the worst of weather and conditions.

Great company and very helpful !!!!
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Anchor rode on a CD27

Post by Neil Gordon »

tjr818 wrote:
Mine is secured to a 2"x4"x6" teak block with a hole drilled through. The block is too large to fit through the deck fitting.[/quote wrote: Thanks Neil, I guess that is just to keep from losing the line. Would that take any kind of load from the anchor? Is that area of the deck strong enough?
On the 28, the rode passes through the bowsprit. I think it would hold but I wouldn't rely on it.

Side note: I know at least one former marina-mate whose ex-girlfriend launched the anchor overboard and watched while 100% of the rode ran out, bitter end included. It does happen. Lots of cases also where an anchor unexpectedly lets go in bouncy seas.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has a 35# CQR, 90' of 5/16" chain with 200' of 1/2" nylon, spliced to it. The bitter end is secured to a structural piece of aluminum in the overhead of the chain locker. This was done by drilling it and fastening a shackle. I seem to remember having a smaller braided line that reaches above deck to make the connection. The anchor is in a heavy, Windline roller. In sits in there pretty deep and is pinned in place. The chain is also secured in a break.

With all of this weight in the bow, she still sits down in the stern.

Maybe I do need to add a windlass. Chain hauling is keeping me in pretty good shape and letting me sleep well at night.

The chain was added after I found my nylon rode wrapped around a large piece of rusty metal debris at one anchorage. I had to work like crazy to haul it up off of the bottom enough to free it, with the aid of a boat hook. It had been a pretty quiet night and I don't really know when I had fouled in it. There was enough chafe on the rode that it scared me, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Consider securing the bitter end of the rode to that block of wood with a lashing a "small stuff". If you ever need to part with your anchor, you can more safely cut the lashing than you can remove a shackle pin that is under load.

Just a thought from a foredeckman with eight fingers and two thumbs still attached to a pair of hands.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where conditions are just right.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

M. R. Bober wrote:Consider securing the bitter end of the rode to that block of wood with a lashing a "small stuff". If you ever need to part with your anchor, you can more safely cut the lashing than you can remove a shackle pin that is under load.
For sure it it's all chain, you should have a way to get it all go with a sharp knife.

Before parting with your anchor as Mitch suggests, you might want to buoy the bitter end with a fender. If you have time, mark the buoy with your name, boat name, address, phone number and a suitable reward for retrieval.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698