Roller Boom Reefing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ronkberg

Roller Boom Reefing

Post by ronkberg »

Can anyone give me the method of hauling out the sail after wrapping it around the boom. I have one set of mainsail reefing points and can haul it out at that level, however if I want to go even shorter, then my sail has no out-haul cringle ( grommet? or whatever it's called). I do not reef the mainsail very often but do decrease the genoa with my roller furler. When the winds pipe up higher, I heel until the rail is buried but then worry about a few more kts possibly pushing me too far over. Roller furling booms are old school but if it works for my Typhoon, then I'll sail more in higher winds.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Ron- what kinda winds are you planning on sailing in? With my main reefed (1pt) and a working jib, I'm good to 20. Anything above that and the spindrift starts stinging the eyes and its no fun anyways. Sometimes I just go out with my reefed main if its blowing and I don't have anywhere in particular I have to go. If your using jiffy reefing I wouldn't use the roller boom as well, might get the lines tangled.
Bob B

Roller on typhoon

Post by Bob B »

My system is similar to yours. I jiffy reef the first reef with my lines and reef points. If I need another reef, I drop the main a little. This results in the boom hanging low. Then, I just ease the main sheet enough to get behind the end of the boom. Pull it out to disengage the gooseneck fitting. Then, roll until it gets tight. As I roll, I pull out on the leech of the main. It works fairly well. If you must reef down a lot, you probably need to put a sweatshirt or something on the outer edge of the sail so that the boom will not sag into the cockpit.

The slab (jiffy) reef doesn't affect the roller furling on my boat.

On a former Typhoon, I had another set of reef points put in the sail and this worked well also.

Try it under some calm weather and then enjoy those days that used to be stressful because of higher winds.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty
Lancaster, SC
(103 degrees today in Columbia)
ronkberg

Typhoon Reefing

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Mark and Bob, and thanks for the responses. I have used both of the reefing systems and rolling does not effect the reefing lines. I just wanted advice about hauling the out the leech. I'll take your advice Bob and since I have a topping lift, that can help if the boom drops too low.

I was on the boat late yesterday PM and the winds were 10-15 with 20+ gusts and I decided I would just stay on the mooring and dip my feet in the surf. Another guy from a larger sailboat went by on his dinghy and told me it was very rough outside the harbor, which convinced me to work on some little projects and stay on the mooring.

I like to sail heeled over and the Typhoon performs very well like that but I want to see if I enjoy sailing more upright in higher winds. I will try sailing with reefed sails to see if the boat moves faster but sits straighter, just for the experience. That might be more comfortable when/if I have guests aboard.

Temp today is just about 95 and winds are about like yesterday but very hot. I will sit on shore and play in the surf. Tomorrow is predicted to be even hotter and the OOB vacationers are having a great beach summer.

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Al Levesque

Another factor

Post by Al Levesque »

to consider is the ability to maneuver. An overpowered boat gets tough to handle. One of my earliest memories in our former CD25 was having to move the boat in a horrendous blow. I reefed the main to as small as most storm sails and found myself comfortably sailing as though it was an 8 knot breeze.
ronkberg

RE: Another Factor

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Al, and thanks for the response. Of course the CD25 is much drier than a Typhoon but I am used to getting sprayed. Too hot to sail today but Saturday and/or Sunday should have me out in Saco Bay. Winds are predicted low enough that I doubt I'll be trying any reefing, rather trying to stay cool.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Another factor

Post by Neil Gordon »

Al Levesque wrote:to consider is the ability to maneuver. An overpowered boat gets tough to handle. One of my earliest memories in our former CD25 was having to move the boat in a horrendous blow. I reefed the main to as small as most storm sails and found myself comfortably sailing as though it was an 8 knot breeze.
Sailing with the rail in the water is good for building muscle. For building skills that are perhaps more important as you go up in boat size (and the forces involved), practice with smaller boats and in lighter winds.

By the way, I'm convinced that VMG goes up if you reef early and keep a boat on its feet. Less weather helm and so less braking effect from the rudder and I'm sure I steer a more consistent course with the boat under control.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
ronkberg

OK Neil,

Post by ronkberg »

"Sailing with the rail in the water is good for building muscle."

Now you've taken all the fun out of sailing my Typhoon. However, I am thinking about entering Mr USA competition but maybe they will not want a 68 year old sailor.

Since I will most likely will not be going up in boat size, I will practice my small boat handling so that I can increase my VMG. Then I can plan to sail in the next round of Typhoon Nationals.

Oh boy, I hope nobody saw me today sailing in Saco Boy.........I nearly buried a rail!!

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: OK Neil,

Post by Neil Gordon »

ronkberg wrote:Now you've taken all the fun out of sailing my Typhoon.
Sorry. :)

For shorter sails, yes, pushing the boat is great fun!

But from the perspective of a coastal cruiser, I'm thinking VMG matters more than momentary excitement. Even the sacrifice of a few tenths of a knot pays off if I can save enough energy to (i) enjoy the evening's shore based activities and (ii) sail again the next day and the day after.

Fun comes in different forms... I'm headed to a local amusement park this afternoon for a b'day party for a 16 year old. I'll take multiple roller coaster rides, each of which will end up exactly where it starts (I hope!). Net VMG is zero, so per my above, what's the point?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Villamil

reefing the Ty

Post by Dick Villamil »

Get a second reef - then you will get used to the working jib and single then second reef in the main. Also, get a traveler and vang - they help a lot in heavier air when you can dump the main wthout letting the sheet out. Having the correct gear for heavy weather sailing is very important and saves a lot of wear and tear of the rig. Then you can enjoy your own carnival ride peacefully! I only have a single reef in the main and a roller furling 130% genny. The working jib is ideal for he upper wind strengths - then I just stow the headsail and go with a single reef in the main. You lose some pointing ability (but that is typical of the Typhoon).