Nesting Dinghy DIY plans from Wooden Boat magazine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: For a different approach: The Stasha skin-on-frame dingh

Post by RIKanaka »

Joe Myerson wrote:Here's another take on a build-it-yourself, nesting dinghy: the ultralight Stasha.

This boat was designed to store on the foredeck of a Dana 24, so I'm assuming it would work on a 25D (perhaps on the coach roof if not on the foredeck).

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/benja ... /index.htm
Reminds me of those beautiful Japanese paper and bamboo andon lanterns.

I bet it would look great at night stowed over the foredeck hatch, illuminated from below!
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

John Danicic's nesting dinghy

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Interesting direction this thread has taken. :)

I initially posted because someone was talking to me about the possibility of selling me a "nesting dinghy" he had built from plans he got in Wooden Boat magazine. This would have been as part of the sale of a Cape Dory 25D. The seller did not have pixs and I wanted to see what one looked like.

From my past readings of this board over the past 5 plus years, if I were to "buy" a nesting dinghy (versus "build" one) I would definitely buy from John Danicic. His craftmanship, etc. seems to be way above those of the so called "very good" class of nesting dinghies.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Post by RIKanaka »

Robert,

This thread may actually have wandered back to your original query:
http://woodenboat.com/boat/?tag=nesting-dinghy

The date of the article may not fit the time frame but the magazine is the right one and the dinghy is Joe's Japanese lantern.

Also, I have a 3-piece nesting dinghy in the shed that I'll photograph and post pictures in the next couple of days. Still doesn't answer your original question but does give you some ideas.

Edit: Found a photo on my computer of my nesting dinghy in the shed (pardon the mess). The three parts are held together by a series of cables along the inside of the hull and along the exterior of the keel. The plans were from Popular Mechanics, I think, many years ago.

Last edited by RIKanaka on Sep 9th, '12, 11:37, edited 2 times in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
mattlydon

Check out the spindrift nesting dinghys

Post by mattlydon »

Check out the spindrift nesting dinghys - I've purchased the plans for the 11' model, will build it this winter

matt