How Warm Is It Where You Are?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

How Warm Is It Where You Are?

Post by Oswego John »

I sail to enjoy myself. I enjoy sailing on most anything that sails. I said *most*.

I enjoy sailing most of the time. Today isn't one of those *most* times. The lake is flat calm, not a zephyr of breeze. The temperature in central NY is just shy of 100° F. I have the choice of playing hero and going out into the inferno and doing my thing or I can stay inside of my air conditioned house and pretend to keep busy. Just let me say that my mother didn't raise any dummies. The choice was easy.

Besides, I don't want my doctor to holler on me. If she knew that I was working out in the garden today, she'd have a hissy fit and I'd never hear the end of it.

So what to do, hmmm, what to do? I've already finished the NY Times crossword puzzle. (all but three impossible words). Nothing good on TV. I don't like soaps and I'm up to here in the Casey Anthony saga. What to do?

Aha, inspiration. I'll dig out one of my shoe boxes way back in the far recesses of my improvised filing system and have some laughs. Maybe I can post some pictures of days gone past to help us forget this heat spell which is presently upon us. Let's see what happens. Flurries Last Night

When I used to live in Alaska. This was taken in the mid seventies, the golden age of polyester. Check out the high fashion slacks. Yuk yuk. Fairbanks is the northern end of the Alcan Highway. That's the Chena River in the background, which flows through the city. There weren't many main roads in AK so most cities were built on rivers. Image

Here's a photo of me knocking on wood. (major wood)

Here's a shot of my late wife's sled dog, Chena. She was rescued from the river of that name when she was a pup. There are all kinds of pulling dogs, Samoyeds, Huskies Malemutes and mixtures of the breeds. Some dogs are bred for speed, some for heavy hauling, some for endurance and others for superior instinct and intelligence. Dogs are a large part of life in the Arctic. The individual with the winning team is the home town hero until the next Sunday's local races.

There ya go, feel a little cooler now? Maybe later on, when the sun goes down, I'll go outside and water my tomatoes and green peepers.

Chill, everybody,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

There's a sea breeze in Boston, OJ. Only got as high as 92 today.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tom Keevil

Heat

Post by Tom Keevil »

Two days ago at our house in Oregon it was pouring rain, and had reached 58 degrees by noon. We finally caved in, closed the windows, and turned on the heat. Today it's a bit warmer.

Please pass this on to any folks you know who want to move to the Pacific Northwest. It's just terrible out here.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
barfwinkle

Oh OJ

Post by barfwinkle »

Tomorrow we'll break yet another day of over 100 degrees. On Friday we'll break an all time record for 17 days above 100 degrees! It's freakin HOT!

Fair winds.
Bill Member #250.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I was out the last two days- sailed over to Greenwich Cove and anchored overnight by a nice CD22. Even with swimming and trying to stay in the shade it was too much. Had to cut the trip short. PMed Robert(Seahunt) for some suggestions on beating the heat. Can't wait for September.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

It was 85 and dead calm

Post by Joe Myerson »

Even on Buzzards Bay, it was in the mid-80s and dead calm yesterday.

I'm away from the Cape today, but I know they've been having very strong winds today--much preferable. Only about 88 here in central Mass. today, but it's supposed to get into the high 90s tomorrow.

Ugh!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: It was 85 and dead calm

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:Even on Buzzards Bay, it was in the mid-80s and dead calm yesterday.
Translated into English for those who don't frequent Buzzards Bay in the afternoon, "dead calm" indicates only a single reef in the main. :wink:
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Been in central Texas putting up a metal building in 100 plus heat. Can't waite to get back to Corpus where it is in the high 90s.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Jdpmus

our area

Post by Jdpmus »

Sailed the CD 25 tonight on Grapevine Lake, TX along with 7 other sailboats. Was 98 degrees at 8:00 pm.

Nice breeze made it feel like 95.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

I PMed Dr. Sea Hunt, Too

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Markst95,

I also PMed Dr. Sea Hunt to find out what to do in this extreme heat.

The good doctor told me to take two cold Guinness beers and call him in the morning. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Hot as Hades

Post by Larry DeMers »

Hi Oj,

We just got back from Lake Superior, where it's unbearably hot, humid and dead calm. We had been onboard for 11 days, goping from Island to island, looking for a cool breeze out of Canada, but nada.

So yesterday, it starterd much like these dsays have all started..80 deg at 0900, and 117 deg in the sun..and 95 in the boat by noon. Honestly, our CD30 gets damn small when all one can do is swear about the heat. One interesting thing we have been watching is the developement of Severe Thunderstorms moving across N. Dakota, into Minn., and then into Wisconsin, wher the Apostle Islands are at..as are we.

Nearing 6 pm, the warnings were going out, as a line of Super Cells developed in Minn. and moved into the area. We had some brief high winds and rain, lots of lightning and rolling thunder.

Then came the dreaded warning about a tornado on the ground near our home, about 100 miles south of the Islands. Next came the warning for our home town..nnow That got our attention.

Left the boat this morning, and got home to find a 50 foot white pine in our backyard had been broken in half, with the break point showing a large twisting motion to it. Tornado? One was on the ground not 30 miles away, we find out.

Sure, my darn over-the- air TV antenna is also history, along with the rotor and tower. I guess we were lucky that the other trees in the yard (larger yet.. we live on the edge of a National Forest)didn't come down. They would have hit the house..the one that did fall missed by 15 ft.
Now the low pressure system is pulling down some Canadian cool air, which has dropped the temp right now (4am -can't sleep) down to 60 deg..30 deg change in 8 hrs.

Hah! Enjoy this summers free entertainment!~

Larry
Bob B

Columbia SC

Post by Bob B »

Down in Columbia it is supposed to get to 103, no heat index or anything like that. Here it is getting to a balmy 98. We have a saying that the only difference between hell and Columbia is a screen door.

Bob B.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Interesting link

Post by Jim Davis »

This is for the Plymouth State University Weather Center and shows a Heat Index for the US.
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/usheat.gif

And their main site which gives more information than one could ever ask.
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/

However, Larry actually summed it up in a few words.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Rebinva

97 in Fredericksburg, Va, AccuWeather

Post by Rebinva »

"RealFeel" = 123. Warmer tomorrow. Whoopee!!!!!!!!!!!
RC James

OJ-- You Still Got Those Pants???

Post by RC James »

My original heavy-duty Herculon Plaid seat-cushions have developed a rather heart-rending tear in them, and those fine fashion faux-paxs that you have pictured are the closest thing that I've seen to a match.

Will be the first to admit having a similar style of pants during those younger days, and even a modicum of hair.

RJ :oops: