best hose to replace scupper lines?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mattlydon

best hose to replace scupper lines?

Post by mattlydon »

Thinking of replacing the scupper lines on my CD28 before it goes in this year (they're at least 8 years old). What's the absolute best hose to use? Trident 134 heater hose? Exhaust hose? Silicone hose

Matt
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I used rubber exhaust hose when I replaced the scupper lines. I tried the non-wire reinforced first but the bend caused the hose to buckle. It was not too easy to install the new hose. Use the old hose to cut the new hose to the correct length. I used baby powder (talc) to help ease the hose over the barbs and 2 hose clamps of course. Be very careful when connecting the hose to the cockpit scupper barb, I wound up pushing it out of the fiberglass. I think I ate too much Wheaties that day. It was easily repaired with a mix of thickened epoxy.

Mine were original when I decided to replace them. The hose was cracking and the wire was rusting through in spots.

If you have any extra, cut a piece for the stern tube while your down their. If its the same size (diameter).

-R
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Hose Job

Post by Bob Owens »

Matt,
You are right to stick with wire-reinforced hose. I found the job of getting the new hose (1 1/2" ID if memory serves) on went a lot easier by doing two things: Put a couple of inches of really hot water in a sauce pan or tin can, and dip the end of the hose in that for half a minute or so before trying to slide it over the barb. The heat will make the rubber temporarily more flexible without distorting it permanently. Also, smear some liquid dish soap on the barb. Do the upper end of the hose first. That way you can still dip the lower end in the hot water before mounting it. Good luck.
Bob
barfwinkle

1/8th Inch

Post by barfwinkle »

It has been four years since I replace my hoses, hell maybe eight but. I remember having the battle from hell getting that wire hose back on, SO I decided to try something else. I bought 1 5/8" inch hose and it was still a "snugish" fit and the double hose clamps took care of the rest.

Like I said, it has been some time since this was done, but I think this is how I handled it. And just for confirmation, IF you are using 1 1/2" hose its gonna be a difficult task. And of course I did mine over the course of a winter with the plan of launching the boat by just about this time of year, so the temperatures were not very conducive to helping.

Good luck and fair winds
Bill Member #250.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Ray Garcia wrote:I used rubber exhaust hose when I replaced the scupper lines. I tried the non-wire reinforced first but the bend caused the hose to buckle. It was not too easy to install the new hose. Use the old hose to cut the new hose to the correct length. I used baby powder (talc) to help ease the hose over the barbs and 2 hose clamps of course. Be very careful when connecting the hose to the cockpit scupper barb, I wound up pushing it out of the fiberglass. I think I ate too much Wheaties that day. It was easily repaired with a mix of thickened epoxy.

Mine were original when I decided to replace them. The hose was cracking and the wire was rusting through in spots.

If you have any extra, cut a piece for the stern tube while your down their. If its the same size (diameter).

-R
Ah, the cockpit scuppers on the CD27. I have often thought that their placement was determined by war criminals. I still ache from performing annual seacock maintenance on TIA MARI.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where--to quote Leonard Cohen--"I ache in the places where I used to play."), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Hose sizes

Post by tjr818 »

You guys are scaring me! I am the proud new owner of a CD-27. I wan to replace all of the thru-hull hoses as I think they are original. Can anyone tell me what hose to use and what sizes I need? I have the YSM8 engine and I think the intake for it is between 1/2" and 5/8". The cockpit drains seem to be 1 1/2", is that right? and what is the size for the cockpit seat drains, 1"?
Thanks,
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Gary H

Pre Formed Hoses

Post by Gary H »

When I replaced the scupper hoses on my Typhoon, I took the original hoses to an auto parts store and asked them to match them up with pre-formed radiator hoses designed for specific car/model applications. They found one with the similar angles of bend and it worked like a charm.
Troy Scott

scupper hose replacement

Post by Troy Scott »

My scupper hoses actually ARE 1 5/8". not 1 1/2" even though they go to a "1 1/2" valve. I think trying to get
1 1/2" hoses on there would be next to impossible. Remember to double clamp, especially on the lower end.

I think the radiator hose idea is a great one, especially if the hoses were originally designed for cars using salt-water cooling for the engines.

(Just Kidding!) :-)
Regards,
Troy Scott