Using binoculars as a magnifying lens

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Using binoculars as a magnifying lens

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I recently received an email from a national sailing school that had an interesting short video on using binoculars as magnifying lens to read small print on a chart.

Once upon a time I had 20/20 vision. Now, I need reading glasses for almost everything I try to read. When I sailed on S/V Tadpole and wanted to read a chart I had to find my small pair of "readers", put them on, and then try to read the chart.

This video explained that if you invert the binoculars, place the smaller lenses close to the chart and look through the larger lenses the binoculars act as a magnifying lens.

When I sailed, I always had a large pair of binoculars very near by in the cockpit. Much easier to grab and more "damage resistant" than tiny reading glasses.

Interesting idea. As soon as I acquire caretaker status of a Cape Dory 25D I will try it out.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
12Sail
Urbanna, VA

Post by 12Sail »

Interesting. I have a small magnifying glass the PO left in the "stuff drawer". It works well if I'm targeted in what I want to see, but taking in larger sections of the chart was difficult. I felt like i was using a Ouija board.
My eyes too have decided they want me to be a trombone player, so i did breakdown and get some progressive lenses after losing a 5th pair of readers. They are prescription reading glasses on the bottom with no correction on the top (bifocals without the line), and some polarized "clip on shades" make them essentially sunglases quite easily.
"Oh God, your ocean is so vast and my boat is so small."
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The bino magnifier is an old naturalist trick I have known about for years. I was never too impressed with the quality though.

Raven keeps several pairs of readers aboard as well as a magnifying glass. I keep readers everywhere.

With a magnifying glass and especially the binoculars you just don't get the big picture on a chart. I will stick with glasses.

The magnifier is there mostly to check rigging, Steve.