Typhoon for 25K

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Typhoon for 25K

Post by Markst95 »

saw a Ty on Yachtworld for 24900.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/Ca ... ted-States

Mines a 72 too and a BARGAIN at only 21999!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you were to consider this to be a brand new boat, which it pretty much is, this would be a fair price.

I am always amazed at what a bargain our classic boats are. You would be hard pressed to find a new full keeled day sailor complete with sails for that kind of money.

If they are truly trying to sell it they should have rigged and launched it for a day. Take some professional pictures of the same quality as their work. The dark storage shed doesn't do much to show it off, Steve.
Dick Barthel

cost to build

Post by Dick Barthel »

On a cost to build today comparison I'm sure it's a bargain and she sure is a beauty. Steve couldn't you use another Typhoon to add to your fleet. Or how about you OJ? She'd look good on the deck of your custom CD.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I remember this CD Ty Weekender being offered for sale about a year ago - more or less. I do not remember if it was the same broker/boatyard but it was the same 4 photos. The asking price then was also around $24,000 - $25,000. I recall being attracted to the photo of the "brass" winches. I thought tradition was bronze winches.

The ad references a custom "float off" trailer but the photo shows a trailer with jack stand type "pads".

When I parted with S/V Tadpole in October 2010 I sold her for "slightly less than" $24,900. :D That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I don't know guys about this one.

Seems it has a BRASS stem fitting, not the usual CD BRONZE, haha..
Randy 25D Seraph #161
hoehnt

Re: Typhoon for 25K

Post by hoehnt »

A brand new J-22 is over 40k
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: Typhoon for 25K

Post by mashenden »

Move the decimal place one place to the left and it is just a tad more than I have in my 3 Typhoons :) Ooops, correction, 2 Typhoons... #3 was picked up yesterday.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com