Head hand pump

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

Head hand pump

Post by Dick Turner »

Enjoyed a hot 4th here in New Bern, NC. All was well until my head hand pump cylinder cracked. Does anyone have info as to where I might find/purchase a new Groco Model HF hand toilet pump assembly? Thanks in advance.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Defender

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dick,

Happy Fourth of July!

Mine cracked two seasons ago--and I ordered one from Defender. It wasn't cheap, but they stock it. I think West Marine also carries 'em.

Good luck.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Whole Head

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I faced a similar problem a few years ago. I found that there wasn't all that much difference between the cylinder and the whole head. So I bought the whole head. So it was just a bolt on job when I got to the boat. Form the simplification of the task was worth it.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe Myerson

In retrospect ...

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dick is probably right.

It was one royal PITA to replace the pump, because I first had to pull the entire head (bolts frozen after nearly 30 years, etc.

And, opening up the innards of the head pump was not fun at all.

A total marine-head transplant is probably called for here.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I'll third that. I was looking into rebuilding my marine head a few years ago. After calling Groco I found that there are some differences in the old and new models. One thing the rep told me was to look very carefully at the base. The old ones were plastic. They tend to crack there as well after twenty or so odd years.

You could definitely buy a complete new head for less than it would cost you for the pump and a rebuild kit. If you are going as far as replacing the pump, you would want to rebuild the rest of the thing. Throw in a new seat along with a bright and shinny bowl and it is very easy to justify not opening the old one up and mucking around with it. This is coming from a guy who tries to fix everything, Steve.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

I replaced the pump and it is not so hard...

Post by sgbernd »

I have the bronze base on the Groco HF and the whole job, remove the old pump and install the new pump, then test, one was less than 1 hour. Mess was minimal, mostly mopping up the spilt water from opening the hoses. Probably the hardest part of the job was deciding to spend the money as it wasn't cheap, but Defender had them on sale this spring which softened the blow a bit.

If you have the plastic base, probably you should replace the whole toilet as the plastic gets brittle with age and will ultimately fail.
Joe Myerson

Bronze base

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sgbernd,

I have the bronze base too. However I had to take the whole head assembly off the boat to remove the broken pump. One of the screws was completely bonded into the base. I eventually drilled it out.

If I had had the plastic base, I suspect it would have been damaged by the same burst of compressed air that destroyed the pump.

Being a dunce, I rented a compressed-air device from my local tool rental to try to clear out a blockage in the plumbing. It succeeded, but I stupidly decided to give it another blast for good measure. The top of the pump came flying off!

Stick to snakes for clearing blockages!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627