Anchor light for 33'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

captzigzag

Anchor light for 33'

Post by captzigzag »

Is the anchor light link below the right light for my boat? I'm replacing the antenna and going with an LED light.

Don't want to go up twice. The boat is in the Bahamas so getting another light would be a problem.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDsQ8wIwBA#
barfwinkle

Hey Zig

Post by barfwinkle »

I JUST replaced my anchor light with a Dr. LED light and I had to have the indexed bulb where the two side pins are offset.

I checked my spare anchor bulb before ordering, so if you have a spare double check it or look for the fixture manufacturer and see if their documentation tells which bulb to use. And I think that mine was double contact.

The new light is kinda blueish, but is definitely visible.

https://www.professorled.com/catalog/pr ... ucts_id=29
Bill Member #250.
captzigzag

lights

Post by captzigzag »

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the bulb mentioned.

My problem away from the boat is I live in Kentucky. You can't tool down to the store and check it out. My boat being at the boatyard in the Bahamas, the FedEx and Customs are a chore. Not to mention the extra expense.

Try to go back to the boat with all supplies via the web.
Jim Evans

Your Anchor Light Looks Right to Me

Post by Jim Evans »

I just came back from a weekend on my '33, and checked my spare incandescent anchor light bulbs - the pins are straight across. My '33 is an '81 - #59. So, the link you provided looks to me like it's for the correct bulb.
Jim Evans
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

That is not the bulb in my anchor light, which I believe is original. Mine is a 44mm festoon with pointed ends which I would replace with one like this http://www.doctorled.com/f16.htm I cannot remember what brand the fixture is but the nav lights are Aqua Signal. Our CD 33 is two numbers off your hull number from 1982. Good luck!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Some years ago I found out that the best anchor light I could get for my CD33 was a portable one which I hang from the end of the boom, so it can be seen by those boaters who wander about at night among anchored boats, but NEVER look UP! So I have a small but powerful LED lamp attached to the proper wire that plugs into a 12v outlet in the cockpit. At the same time, it also lights up the cockpit perfectly. Never again I've had to worry about the top of the mast light, which I discontinued then.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
captzigzag

Post by captzigzag »

An anchor light on the boom is a great idea or two LED yard lights in the rod holders on the bimini with better batteries installed. My night vision is not so good; I admit for me anchor lights in the harbor sometimes do look like stars. Much further away than the boat.

I'm going to order all lights mentioned. The festoon lights(pointed ends) I think would only be used for navagation lights, because they couldn't be seen behind the mount. Please clear me up on this if I'm wrong.
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

I just replaced the anchor light on my CD26D with an original Aqua Signal series 25 lamp housing and a new Anchor festoon LED. Fortunatly my mast is still laying down. Since the 8 LEDs are attached to one side of the circuit board mount, then the light dispersal would be quite directional, i.e., to the front instead of 360 degree horizontal. That means I would be depending on the Fresnel lens to supply the dispersal. A friend of mine also suggested putting bicycle light LEDs on the life lines since most boaters wandering around at night don't look up. I am reconsidering my selection of anchor light
Rollo
captzigzag

Post by captzigzag »

It didn't register that the housing/mount could lay flat. Thanks for making it clear.
Jim Evans

Davis Utility Light is the Way to Go!

Post by Jim Evans »

I agree with Zeida in that an LED hung from the end of the boom is the way to go. I use the Davis Utility light, and it's great. Here's the link to it at Defender: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 29&id=7961 . I don't use my mast-top anchor light either - if somebody is close-aboard on a collision course with me at an anchorage, the last place the other guy is going to be looking is the top of my mast! Plus, the Davis light is a great light for the cockpit in the evening.
Jim Evans
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Jim... the Davis light is exactly what I have on Bandolera II. It is just perfect.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I sprung for the Davis light too a couple years ago after my mast light became intermittent. I have loved it so much for it's low amp use and for so long that my old anchor light started working again! There may be something in the ritual of hanging it from the main halyard. And when I eventually get that masthead light fixed, it will do double duty as an excellent spare and cockpit light.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I had picked up a 6 volt battery powered anchor light years ago at the consignment shop. I started using it on the Typhoon, as it didn't have it's own electrical system. It then moved over to Raven as she never had a mast head anchor light.

I still see these lights at the consignment shop and they are cheap.

It consists of a waterproof case, like a diving light, with the dry cell, a fresnel lens, and a photo censor. It worked very well when lashed to the back stay and steadied by the boom. I know tradition dictates that it be hung in the fore triangle but it makes for a great cockpit light as well.

The problem with the thing is that it was not very bright. It was so much the case that it acquired the name of Dimmy. I eventually found an LED bulb for it and it is now brilliant. This seemed to require a name modification so it is now Dimmy More and we are most pleased with her performance, Steve.
Tod Mills

Bebi Electronics

Post by Tod Mills »

I've heard great reviews of these lights, fwiw:

http://www.bebi-electronics.com/owl.html
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Zeida

My Anchor Light

Post by Zeida »

[imgImage[/img]
This is what I use to hang from the end of the boom, inside the cockpit. It works perfectly. I plug it into a cigarrette outlet I have there just for this.
Zeida
CDSOA Member