"Easy Jacks"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

"Easy Jacks"

Post by Gary M »

In this first photo the cover just came off the main. It shows the two lines that run from a reefing cringle to the topping lift.

Before raising the main I lift the lines up to make sure they don't snag on anything on their way up. If I didn't they would snag on the shackle at the end of the topping lift

When the main is up, the lines go limp and do not interfere with anything.

To drop the sail I release the clutch and go to the mast to pull the sail down. The lines become my crew member, keeping the sail on the boom. Just make the sail neat and ad ties!

Dixon Hemphill

Easy jacks

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Very interesting set of photos but I still don't know how these lines help to keep your sail on the mast as the mainsail is lowered.

Can you please provide a bit more explanation?
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Reply to Dixon

Post by Gary M »

Hi Dixon,

The lines stop the reef cringles from dropping below the boom. This prevents most of the sail from dropping below the boom and makes lowering the main and tying it to the boom much easier for me.

Any body sitting in the cockpit when I lower the main is also happy I installed the lines because the sail doesn't fall on them.

Cheers

Gary
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Interesting ...

Post by Joe Myerson »

Gary,

Those pictures make your concept much clearer.

Here's a possible suggestion:

Instead of bowline loops around the topping lift line, how about small metal rings? They'd slide nicely.

Since I sail with my reefing lines permanently rigged, I'm not entirely sure that this system would work for me--but it makes sense.

Thanks again for the pictures.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I love the simplicity of this system!

I have considered lazy jacks and just never thought all the extra rigging was worth the advantage for me. I usually just drop the main, gather it up quick and put one sail tie on it. Then I go back and tidy it up afterwards. Sometimes it flops all over the boat and I have to grab it and roll it to get the tie on. These two lines look like they would be just the ticket for the way I handle things.

I also keep both reefs rigged and I don't see why that would interfere at all. The rings or some shackles would definitely make things work a bit more smoothly.

In all the books I have in my library, I have never seen this arrangement before, Steve.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Reply to Joe

Post by Gary M »

Hi Joe,

Your right about using small stainless steel rings. I have gotten that suggestion before and think it is a good one.

But, it works great just the way it is! I think I'll keep it just the way it is.

Cheers

Gary
Joe Myerson

Probably wouldn't interfere

Post by Joe Myerson »

Steve:

When I think about it, there's no reason that this system would interfere with reefing lines. I just might give it a try tomorrow.

And thanks again for the images, Gary.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I might give this a try today.

Light winds, sailing with my son and his buddy should give me some time to fuss with some new "strings".

It will also be interesting to see if it helps to kill two birds by keeping the topping lift away from the flag halyard block on the back stay.

Thanks again for a great tip, Steve.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

I've always wondered if it would work on larger boats.

Post by Gary M »

Hi Joe and Steve,

I can't wait to hear how it works on your boats.

I've always felt that the heavier the sail, the less likely the system is to work well.

Have a great 4th of July sail, I think I'll be out on the motorcycle today.

Cheers,

Gary
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

"Simple Jacks"

Post by RIKanaka »

Thanks for the pics, Gary. As they say, "Picture worth thousand words" and "KISS". I also like the suggestion I read on a link from the earlier, related thread of marking the luff folds with a red or green marker depending on which side of the boom they fall on.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Dixon Hemphill

Easy jacks

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Well, Gary, I am now convinced your clever system will work so my next step is to try it out on my CD28. Things may not go too smoothly since my original mainsail is 34 years old but I am going to install the lines the next time I visit my boat. Getting the sail onto the mast without its falling all over the place has been a real problem especially if I'm singlehanded.

Stay tuned!
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Hello Gary:

That looks very interesting. I would like to try it on my future Cape Dory 25D that will probably not have any lazy jacks at time of purchase.

I know you have been answering a lot of questions about your set up. I have one more.

From the photo it seems like your system "collects" the lower leech section of the main where there is not a lot of sail cloth. What happens to the large area of sail cloth from the mast area to mid-boom :?: I would think that sail cloth would fall onto the coach roof, deck, etc.

Is there a line system you have to collect this or hold it more in place :?:

Thanks,
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Reply to Sea Hunt Video

Post by Gary M »

Hi Robert,

There are no other lines.

The sail does not fall to the coach roof.

The sail drops to the boom exactly the way it looks in the picture.

Before I took the picture, I dropped the main and stepped off the boat to take the picture. I did not touch the main sail in any way.

It does the exact same thing every time I drop the sail.

By the way, I spent a lot of time this weekend looking for the article in either Good Old Boat or Wooden Boat where I found this system so I could give credit to the person who gave it to me.

As much as I tried, I could not find the article.

Gary
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Found the source!

Post by Gary M »

Hi All,

In the May/June 2010 issue of Good Old Boat, in the mail buoy section, There is a letter titled Lazy Jacks - something different by Henry Rodriguez, where Mr. Rodriguez says he "would like to share a method of mainsail control I've used for many years."

Mr. Rodriguez uses two reef cringles and two additional grommets in the leech of the sail, for a total of four lines compared to my two lines. Mr. Rodriguez also uses shock cords where I just used light line.

Mr. Rodriguez says that he got the idea form a product North Sails used to market called Lazy Mate that consisted of lines attached to the leech of the sail and to rings that ride up the topping lift.

Thanks for the idea North Sails and thanks for sharing Mr. Rodriguez.

Cheers,

Gary
Joe Myerson

Field test results: They work

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Gary et al.:

I just got off Creme Brulee after a wonderful day of sailing.

The day started with no wind at all, so I fashioned myself a pair of "easy jacks" according to Gary's pictures and directions.

I wasted one piece of light line, because I underestimated how much line is taken up with a buntline hitch (at the cringle), and a bowline loop. But even I finally got it.

The jacks did not slide all the way to the boom when I lowered my sail. I did this twice, once at the mooring and once, in quite strong winds at the end of the day, when I dropped the sail before entering the harbor.

Perhaps I made the lines too tight, but I was not able to flake the sails the way I normally do -- I ended up rolling them more than folding them. But the system does work. These simple little pieces of light line made it much easier for me to drop the main while facing into a strong southwest wind, and while the boat was bucking in Buzzards Bay's famous "square waves."

Bravo! Simplicity triumphs again.

Thank you, Gary M.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627