reefing lines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBA

reefing lines

Post by JBA »

Hello all,

Does anyone have a technique for securing reefing line tails while reefed?

Thanks, JBA
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: reefing lines

Post by Neil Gordon »

JBA wrote:Hello all,

Does anyone have a technique for securing reefing line tails while reefed?

Thanks, JBA
Same as with halyards, I just coil them, take a bight from the working end and hang it in the same clear the line is made off to.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: reefing lines

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Same as with halyards, I just coil them, take a bight from the working end and hang it in the same clear the line is made off to.
What Neil doesn't say in his response, other than meaning to say "cleat" instead of "clear," is that this is done in miniature. My reefing lines hang in sort of mini-hanks, tightly coiled around my hand or almost that tightly, but secured just like any other line secured on a cleat.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I have my reefing line tied to a cleat on the boom. After I tie if off I tuck the excess up into the reefed part of the sail.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am in the sail fold stuffing camp.

Usually when conditions warrant reefing I don't want to be fussing to long about getting it done.

This applies double for the second, Steve.
Dean Abramson

"Clothesline"

Post by Dean Abramson »

I recently installed two eye straps about 20" apart on the bottom of my boom, the forward one pretty much all the way forward. I have tied a piece of light line between these straps. That is my "clothesline," to which I tie the bitter end of coils.

With excess line from three reefing lines (two of which go to a single cleat, so it's very hard to hang from the already-busy cleat) and a boom vang, it comes in very handy. Low tech, works well.

When dropping the main, I throw most of my slack lines (aft of the cleats) into the folds of the sails. The clothes line is just for the little bit of excess line at the cleats when no reefs are in, and the progressively lots more excess line when I am reefed.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine