perkins 4 108 solenoid and starter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Thanks Stan

Post by Oswego John »

You learn something new every day. What a great forum.

I have never had the occasion to work on a starter/solenoid that had a double function. My minds eye tells me that the magnetic action not only closes a high amp switch to the motor, but also has a mechanical action, pushing the pinion gear to mesh with the ring gear. Something that I never knew. Now, I understand more clearly what some of you were saying. :oops:

I apologize if my posts caused anyone any trouble. Now that I think about it, just about every starter motor I worked with had a remote solenoid which was soley electric in function.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
jamesbuehner

Here's what happened

Post by jamesbuehner »

OK, first of all new splash date is for Wednesday coming. Yahooo.

To clarify: My solenoid is a bendix type and it is far easier to remove than the starter itself, as it sits right on top of it and and the nuts are facing you as you gaze into the dark recesses of the engine's lair.

When all the wires are taken off, two little nuts can be removed and the end of the solenoid pulls out revealing the lever arm that slides the little starter wheel into the flywheel.

I brought the solenoid back to my shop and switched it out to a spare starter that a friend had dropped by. Switching them out on the bench, my solenoid actuated this spare starter. This result pointed to the lever arm that was back on the boat which, the next chance I got , I liberally doused with WD 40. Then I hauled on the level, actually it's a cylinder that holds a return spring, with a looped piece of clothesline. It seemed pretty stiff, which was only somewhat discouraging, and not unexpected. Doing the same trick with the other starter on the bench the lever moved quite easily.

So I went home but not before I emptied a bunch more WD into her. Two days later, lo and behold. and to my amazement and joy, she cranked and that old Perkins jumped right to life and I ran her until my five gallon bucket I stuck my raw water hose into was dry. To respond to David, our engines look exactly alike and the only hose I had to move is that which comes off of the port side of the impeller. Thanks David for the fine photograph.

So, what lesson was learned here. Despite the fact the boat was stored inside a year and a half while it was being Awl Gripped, what ever you call what slides in there got dried out or corroded- I never did remove the starter for an inspection - too hard, didn't want to do any more than I had to. I shall, however, remove the solenoid one more time, to get some lubricant in there. Silicone? Lithium grease? Something.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is much appreciated.

Jimmy Buehner
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.â€