Jacklines Revisited

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

boarding ladders, flexible, portable, etc.

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks, If you get one of these, by all means TRY IT in calm conditions and later in trying conditions before you decide that this is your serious means of getting back on board. Maybe even have a few drinks and try it again, to simulate trying to get back on board after being hit by the boom. I'M NOT JOKING. The problem is this: The ladder will hang more-or-less straight down when gravity is the main force affecting it. But, as soon as you step on the lowest "rung" it will move away from your feet. The flexible ladder will follow the curvature of the side of the boat. This means you are climbing a reverse slope that is wet and moving, with all the rungs firmly planted against the side of the boat so it's difficult to get your fingers around them. Sometimes these things can be made to work, but you have to fiddle with it calmly on a nice day so that when you really need it you know you can depend on it. I know folks who depend on emergency ladders, life rafts, bosun's chairs, etc. that they've had packed away for years......

The best emergency ladder is hard, stainless steel and made so that one light tug on a line just above the waterline will make it fall into position, hopefully not on your head. A-HA! Now I'm thinking of a new product! A device to make the ladder fall gently, like the keyboard cover on a fine piano.
Regards,
Troy Scott
SurryMark

another simple jackline

Post by SurryMark »

Using this old thread to show one simple version of a jackline. It's one length of webbing, looped and fixed at one of the bow cleats. The eyes, one on each side of the companionway, are accessible from the cockpit. The lines are somewhat near the center of the boat, but the trade-off is that you have to reach around in front of the dodger to hook up.

Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Troy Scott

Another simple jackline

Post by Troy Scott »

Simple and good. Reaching around the dodger to hook up is OK, because you have two clips, right? For going around things. Clip one before unclipping the other.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I believe that other than taking green water over the bow while on the foredeck, moving around the dodger is the most dangerous area once you leave the cockpit.

You are forced to stand rather erect and the hand holds are generally poor. Add to that some sheet and furlers lines, stepping over the combing board and just getting the feel of things on deck. This is where I want to be clipped in before I leave the cockpit and just keep moving until I get to those hand holds and then the mast. I really don't like the idea of having to change clip in points while on the move. I also wouldn't want to be clipped to the lifelines when I was most vulnerable.

I am fine with adding a second point of attachment in the form of a short tether while at the mast but I like the idea of a continuous jack line that can be clipped into before leaving the cockpit and allows for traveling the entire length of the boat, Steve.
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Good point, Steve, but what do you think about the line being closer to the center of the boat, where it might have a better chance of keeping you on board? Maybe keep a second tether forward of the dodger and pulled back to the cockpit? I've been in 12-16 foot waves (in bigger boat) where I had to stay attached in the cockpit, but never had to go forward.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Johnd

About the ladder..

Post by Johnd »

I read a post where an old fender was strapped to the ladder near the bottom to fend itself off the boat, thus giving the victim a better angle to climb up.
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

SurryMark wrote:Good point, Steve, but what do you think about the line being closer to the center of the boat, where it might have a better chance of keeping you on board? Maybe keep a second tether forward of the dodger and pulled back to the cockpit? I've been in 12-16 foot waves (in bigger boat) where I had to stay attached in the cockpit, but never had to go forward.
If the tether is long enough to reach from forward of the dodger to the cockpit, it's long enough to allow you to go over the lifelines. That's just as true if the jacklines run along the deck, of course unless you're on a very short tether that keeps you close to the deck. (In the worst of conditions, that's not such a bad idea.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Sometimes I am on a short tether at home, Steve.