1981 CD25 question??????

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ceilidh

1981 CD25 question??????

Post by ceilidh »

I was looking at an '82 CD all products brochure recently and I noticed that the '81 and later (until discontinued) CD25's listed C Alberg as the designer. When the CD25d was introduced, did Mr Alberg also put his pencil to the original CD25 design and make some design changes?? Just curious... the '81 model seems to have a different "look" (bronze ports included) inside and out over late 70's models... whatdaya think??? hank
riveredge

Mine is a 1980 with bronze ports

Post by riveredge »

It also has teak throughout the cabin on bulkheads and all. But the basic design looks exactly like 70's CD25's I've seen.
John Ring

entirely different boats

Post by John Ring »

The 1972-1981 CD25 were designed by George Stadel. It was a narrow low hull, similar to a Folkboat. Production of these boats ended in 1981. The last few years did have bronze ports, but none have standing head room below. The design was originally built as the Greenwich 24, by Allied Boat Works.

In 1982 the CD25D appeared, designed by Carl Alberg. The 25D always had bronze ports. It's a much deeper, wider, heavier boat than Stadel's design, and has about 5'10" headroom down below.

They are two completely different boats by different designers, and share nothing in common other than both being 25' long and built by Cape Dory.

John
CD28 Tantalus
www.yachttantalus.us
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

There certainly were changes in the interior of the CD25 over the years. There was a shift from Herreshoff (sp?) straight interior bulkheads, to curving bulkhead edges. There was a shift from plastic unopening portlights to opening bronze oval ports. There was no change in the overall design of hull, freeboard, standing room, etc. As far as I know, there was no change in designer, only in presentation.

From my perspective, the biggest drawback of the CD25 is that there is no interior standing room, which makes it feel very cramped. Storage space is limited.

Still, a pretty boat with beautiful classic lines. I can't speak to handling, because I haven't splashed her yet, but soon... very soon...

Stan Freihofer
CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
ceilidh

Post by ceilidh »

thanks for the replies.... when I start "reflecting" on things like this it must mean I have waaay too much free time on my hands. Guess I'll get out there and mow the yard... hank
riveredge

headroom

Post by riveredge »

I'm 6'2" tall and I bump my head more in boats with 6' of headroom than I do in my 5' tall CD 25 cabin. My boat has sitting headroom which is more important to me. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Troy Scott

thoughts on my old CD25

Post by Troy Scott »

I owned a CD25 (I think a 1980 model) for about a year in about 1982. I liked it. The boat was beautiful. The inboard mounted outboard was a pain, and suffered from constant immersion. Another thing was weather helm. I never figured out how to trim it out. She actually sailed best with a 150 genoa and double reefed main. The sails were original and not blown out, and she was as well rigged as we could figure out how....

Standing headroom was never a problem as long as we were sitting down.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Big E
Salem, MA

Headroom

Post by Big E »

The CD25 does indeed have standing headroom...For my Lady who is 4' 11'' :)
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I too, am married to a munchkin. My youngest takes no end of delight in calling her mother a "Hobbit" so the headroom in my 25 is not an issue with her. Me , on the other hand .............
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.