Upcoming survey on CD 25D, tips, what to look for?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bpiperno

Upcoming survey on CD 25D, tips, what to look for?

Post by bpiperno »

Hopefully soon I will become a new proud owner of a CD 25D. I have been reading what to look for in the survey.

I would like to have some tips and insight about common problems to look in CD 25D form current 25 owners or other CD owners.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
BP
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Soft deck, cabin balsa core.

Clogged, leaking exhaust elbow.

Rusting external engine oil lines as seen from front of engine. You don't want these to spring a leak!

The rest is the usual stuff.

Best wishes. we love our 25D...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Engine

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

A survey typically does not include the running of the engine UNDER LOAD. If your new CD is on the hard it may be worth putting it in the water to see how the engine runs under load in fwd and reverse - all observed by a qualified mechanic. An engine replacement can be easily half the cost of the boat. So prudence dictates a test.

I have had my CD25D for 10 years and after a few years I had to put a new head and exhaust elbow on the engine ($1200) which was worth every penny.

d
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Randy covered it well

Post by Joe Myerson »

I've had all the issues that Randy covered.

In addition, look for water streaks on the ceiling (wooden strips on the bulkheads), indicating leaks from either the toe rails or, apparently not uncommonly, the genoa tracks.

Good luck. 25Ds are rare beauties, and you're lucky to have found one.

Just ask Sea Hunt.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Ceiling streaks

Post by bhartley »

All of our ceiling streaks came from stanchions and not the toe rail. See if the leaks line up with the stanchion bases. We rebedded and never had another drip.

Bly
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Marine Survey questions

Post by moctrams »

Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Ceiling streaks

Post by Duncan »

bhartley wrote:All of our ceiling streaks came from stanchions and not the toe rail. See if the leaks line up with the stanchion bases. We rebedded and never had another drip.

Bly
I think you're right - according the diagram in the manual, the toerail and rubrail screws go into solid glass. They were originally well sealed, too (as I can attest from removing them recently).

I have some ancient leak marks (and one or two active leaks) that I attribute to stanchion bases. I think the outboard screws would go through solid glass, but the inboard ones would penetrate balsa core.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Cored area

Post by bhartley »

I am pretty sure that the stanchion bases are in uncored deck. I am currently recoring the deck of a 25D and it is solid glass in those areas. I think it may make the leaks down below look even worse since there is not core (thank goodness) to absorb and diffuse the water. Once the bedding is shot under the stanchions, it just flows straight down.

The boat I'm working on is an '84 so there may be variations.

Bly
rtbates

The BIGGIE

Post by rtbates »

I forgot the most importatnt thing to check.

The EXHAUST ELBOW. These corrode through and cause the head to also corrode. Unfortunately the tube that corrodes is the INNER tube that carries the exhaust down the middle hence it can't be easily seen. Look at the general condition of th eexhaust elbow exterior, ESPECIALLY if this boat lives in salt water.

The results of mine leaking was I had to install a new head as the original had a hole through the exhaust valve area caused by sea water getting through the hole in the elbow and sitting in the exhaust valve area everytime the engine was shut down.

It's cheap insurance. Replace and keep old as a backup.
Randy 25D Seraph #161