Looking For Specific Nova Scotia Guide.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Looking For Specific Nova Scotia Guide.

Post by Evergreen »

We are looking for a copy of: A Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia: Digby to Cape Breton Island Including the Bras D'or Lakes (Hardcover) by Peter L. Loveridge.

Do you have one collecting dust on your bookshelf? Please contact us if you have copy that you are willing to part with. We would be happy to compensate you for it.

I realize that this should be in the Cruising section, yet I wanted to be sure that the message got the most hits.

Thanks,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
CD-Sailor

Post by CD-Sailor »

DELETED
Last edited by CD-Sailor on Jul 6th, '11, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
N Moore

cruising guide for Nova Scotia

Post by N Moore »

That guide is out of print. The author is not having it reprinted but is offering is as a CD-ROM. The nautical bookstore I work for (The Nautical Mind) has 2 copies for $59.95. Try books@nauticalmind.com. We are a great source for all books, charts, guides and professional material for mariners around the world.

Nancy Moore
Stardust
CD 26
mike ritenour

Excellent place

Post by mike ritenour »

I usually don't endorse anything here, but the Nautical Mind is an awesome small business.
Done lots of business with them.
Rit
nscotia

Nova scotia

Post by nscotia »

Contact the department of tourism. They will have lots of info.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: cruising guide for Nova Scotia

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

N Moore wrote:That guide is out of print. The author is not having it reprinted but is offering is as a CD-ROM. The nautical bookstore I work for (The Nautical Mind) has 2 copies for $59.95. Try books@nauticalmind.com. We are a great source for all books, charts, guides and professional material for mariners around the world.

Nancy Moore
Stardust
CD 26
Hi Evergreen,

If you can't get a copy from The Nautical Mind, forget it. Go to the CCA's (Cruising Club of America) web site for info on their cruising guides, including their Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast, edited by John and Nancy McKelvy, instead. I think you can order CCA's cruising guides from www.pilot-press.com but you should be able to pick one up from most any marine chandlery. I know that Landfall has it for $45.00:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ben029.html

[img]https://www.bluewaterweb.com/Assets/Images/X11688.jpg[/img]
Bluewater Books has it for $40:
https://www.bluewaterweb.com/CruisingGu ... SKU=X11688

Anyway, I hope you can find a copy of the guide that you want.

-Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Still haven't found the guide

Post by Evergreen »

No, it does not look like we will find the guide in hard print. Can't imagine what the fellow was thinking to print the new edition of a salty nautical guide only in a form that requires an electronic computer to view. Oh well, we do have all the other guides, and the ones mentioned above are quite satisfactory although perhaps not as good as the sought after one.

We are about to leave. We wish everyone a great summer, and hopefully we will see some of you out there.
Philip & Sharon
The Patriot

Cruising Guide Economics

Post by The Patriot »

Evergreen wrote: ... Can't imagine what the fellow was thinking to print the new edition of a salty nautical guide only in a form that requires an electronic computer to view ... we do have all the other guides, and the ones mentioned above are quite satisfactory although perhaps not as good as the sought after one ...

Howdy, Philip. Nice to hear from you again. As I mentioned to you in a separate correspondence, Pete Loveridge has indeed issued a revised guide, and it is currently only available on disc. Pete is an old friend of mine and when I spoke to him last week, he indicated that an outfit called "Points East" may be coming out with a print version. However nothing is definite at this time.

This reason I'm responding to your post here has to do with your comment on why this guide is available just now only on disc. Pete first published his guide in the late 1990's under the imprint of International Marine, then part of McGraw Hill. Although the book is perhaps the best of its type, the whole project was from the start a financial mess. The fact is that there is very little in the way of a market for this type of book. From the start there were issues with the publisher and various distributors, and eventually Pete decided that if he ever did revise the book, it would be self-published. He estimates that with the original edition he made perhaps $1.00 per copy sold, and Pete is not one to exaggerate.

He has looked into actually printing the contents of the disc, but the idea still doesn't offer much in the way of financial return. As an aside, another close friend of mine, Steve Pavlidis, has written and published many first-rate guides to the tropics and the islands over the last 2 decades. He finds that the same "economics" that apply to Pete's book have applied to his efforts, and they are very fine examples of their kind. In other words, if you want to write a book and perhaps make a little money on it, maybe a self-help book or a cookbook would be a better place to start.

Enjoy your cruise this season, and I hope you have as nice a visit to the Maritimes as we both did last summer in NS and Newfoundland.
Evergreen

Just compensation

Post by Evergreen »

It is sad that someone, who puts so much time and effort into such as worthwhile project, finds that it is impossible to be financially rewarded for their endeavors. I wish Pete the best of luck.

Be safe and best wishes to everyone this summer.
Philip & Sharon
The Patriot

Author's Response

Post by The Patriot »

Evergreen wrote: ... No, it does not look like we will find the guide in hard print. Can't imagine what the fellow was thinking to print the new edition of a salty nautical guide only in a form that requires an electronic computer to view ...

It is sad that someone, who puts so much time and effort into such as worthwhile project, finds that it is impossible to be financially rewarded for their endeavors ...

I received the below correspondence from Pete Loveridge, who is the author of Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast, the book under discussion. Pete requested that I post his message to this board::

Hi Armond
Guess you can't please all the people all of the time. When we went on our long trip, we didn't find a single boat that didn't have a computer on board. The reality is that the printed book is 11"x8" and weighs nearly 2 lb. It costs me $50 to print it.I would have to pay Canada Post $40 to send it anywhere in the USA and it might not get there in one piece. Because of the size of the package, customs and homeland security get involved as well. I can put the CD in a bubble envelope and send it anywhere for $3, the recipient I am sure can print it out for less than I have to pay, so its cheaper for everyone for me to send out the CD and let the buyer turn it into hard copy if desired.Perhaps you could post this on the Cape Dory website so everyone understands the situation, and maybe inform them of my website www.cruisingguidetons.blogspot.com which has updates best wishes and thanks Peter