Trying to mount a Garmin GPS 441s, need new ideas.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Johnd

Trying to mount a Garmin GPS 441s, need new ideas.

Post by Johnd »

I have seen old mounts that screwed into the vertical teak trim just inside the port cabin, but cannot find one. I have purchased a RAM mount and it will work if I hang, (screw) it into the horizontal top piece of teak trim just inside the cabin.

Should be OK, but what kind of drill bit to use?

Some tough old wood this teak.

If anyone has better mounting options I am happy to listen. This RAM mount will allow me to swing the GPS into the cabin for storing. I don't want to mount it on the portside cockpit wall, although this would be easiest.

Thanks in advance,

John d

Also after looking behind the electric panel, I am inclined to hard wire it directly to the battery. I am clueless when it comes to electricity, but the manual states it's ok to connect it directly...
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

My 440 is mounted on a ram at the binical. I have a Lowrance HD7 in the companionway with a double ram mount. The Lowrance is on a 2in thick block on the lower starboard side. The double ram lets me swing it all kinds of ways. I also had a plexiglass lower hatch board made so that I can see it with the boards in.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

John

I had an old Garmin 128 mounted just to port (over the galley) on a swing out RAM Mount. Worked great and the 441 is just a bit bigger. I think you like that installation.

Fair Winds

ps

here is a pic, if you look over my son's right shoulder you'll see my Garmin 76 and just below it you can make out the RAM mount on the companionway teak trim. It was an easy install. In fact that was the same mount I have the 128 on, I just had to do some slight mods to the mount.

Hope this helps.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Johnd

Great photo

Post by Johnd »

Pretty much the same, yet I'm having to mount it under neath the top teak trim, not the side. Just the way the new RAM mounts roll I guess.

Thanks BW.
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325