Lock that prop: the truth at last

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Loren
Chaumont, NY

Post by Loren »

On my CD27 there is a Michigan 12 x14 pitch 3 blade. Lots of drag but very efficient under power (1998 2GM20 Yanmar) I do miss the original 2 blade that I could lock in vertical position ( One day a year for our friendly marina race)...but I don't want to go back.
Lots of miles motoring when we lived aboard for a couple years and traveled the ICW.
......If we really want to go fast...why are we in sailboats?

Loren
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I've been downloading these lock/spin discussions to those little memory sticks and storing them on board LIQUIDITY. The added weight has more than offset the speed advantage I get from locking the prop.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Troy Scott

alternate universes

Post by Troy Scott »

I do believe. The same physics apparently allow different results. Not to worry. Another reason I believe is: I recently attended a funeral for a very old lady who had worked for us for many years long ago. At first it was very sad. But the experience quickly became so surreal (compared to my experience) that the sadness was replaced with awe and incredulity. Unfortunately I had no boat handy there or I could have tried the locked/unlocked experiment. I suppose it might have been inappropriate.....
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

the real research says spinning is faster

Post by Troy Scott »

Well OK then!
I'll move on!
Regards,
Troy Scott
CD-Sailor

Post by CD-Sailor »

DELETED
Last edited by CD-Sailor on Jul 6th, '11, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Bingo

Post by Jim Davis »

This leads me to think that the subject is hardly worth discussing in any serious fashion, although it seems to provide many folks with a brief respite from reality.
This sums up my assessment exactly. I will freely admit I do lock to reduce wear and tear on the transmission and to prevent a spinning prop from winding up crab/lobster pot lines. Full keel or not, a spinning prop will wind one up and that can be embarrassing, at least. Been there, done that.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
SurryMark

Re: Is there any REAL research that's relevant?

Post by SurryMark »

Sea_Runt wrote:
Troy Scott wrote: In the same vein, can anyone here state that he or she has tested a Cape Dory sailboat under controlled sailing conditions to compare speed differences due solely to the "locked/unlocked" status of the boat's prop? Remember: controlled conditions. .
Alfred W.M.W. Newman, CD29 #302, ran controlled eight-hour experiment proving that prop spinning at 1200rpm increased average speed 22% over eight hours in identical conditions with locked prop.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Como No Cruising
COMO NO

Practical considerations

Post by Como No Cruising »

While voyaging aboard our CD-40 we experimented with the free wheeling prop. All other considerations aside what we found is that when voyaging we were annoyed by the sound of the prop and found that the revolving shaft and prop created created radio noise on the SSB radio. We always locked the prop when sailing.
Funny thing, we usually kept up with larger cruising boats on ocean crossings. I guess we didn't realize that we were giving them an advantage.

Now we will let the new owners of Como No do their own experiments.

Will & Annie
CD-Sailor

Post by CD-Sailor »

DELETED
Last edited by CD-Sailor on Jul 6th, '11, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

RIKanaka Bird's Nest

Post by Raymond »

Mr. Chinn,

I don't think they got your point.

Raymond
Troy Scott

developing a bank of data

Post by Troy Scott »

How does Alfred E. Newman fit into all this. He must be in there somewhere.

Seriously, when I can, I will do actual tests under controlled conditions in an actual Cape Dory36 in actual water. Then I'll let everybody know what happened. If several of us do this easy thing, using similar or identical regimens, we should be able to develop enough data to see a pattern emerge. Thoughts?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

correction

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks, for the record, the following, from earlier in this discussion, didn't happen:

-quote-
"Troy Scott wrote:

In the same vein, can anyone here state that he or she has tested a Cape Dory sailboat under controlled sailing conditions to compare speed differences due solely to the "locked/unlocked" status of the boat's prop? Remember: controlled conditions."

-end quote-

No, I didn't write that. But it's not a bad question.....
Regards,
Troy Scott
John Danicic

Arbitration

Post by John Danicic »

I must confess.

I used to be a "locked prop-er" or rather, tried to be. But entropy ensued and practicality became apparent when I realized that the act of "locking" must be followed by the act of un-locking before starting an engine. I could never seem to remember to do that. There just seems to be something morally and inherently wrong starting ones engine in gear. Realizing this, I freed my self of any guilt and worry.

So now I happily freewheel my way from island to island. Not really caring at the time that I may be saving or losing for after all, I am sailing which, renders me relaxed. It also helps that Hurth Transmissions recommends that the gear selector be in neutral while sailing. Another balm to my mind.

So if we really want to continue this discussion, I suggest we get an impartial arbitrator or two to decide for us. How about all who post here call into Click and Clack on a Saturday morning and get their answer? It may be out of their expertise but not with out humorous interest. 888-227-8255.

One of us may get through and they could settle this age old dilemma once and for the time being.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>the act of "locking" must be followed by the act of un-locking before starting an engine. I could never seem to remember to do that. <<

Hang the key on the shifter.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Arbitration

Post by Joe Myerson »

John Danicic wrote:I must confess.
How about all who post here call into Click and Clack on a Saturday morning and get their answer? It may be out of their expertise but not with out humorous interest. 888-227-8255.One of us may get through and they could settle this age old dilemma once and for the time being.
John,

This is a terrific idea. I once tried to get through to my automotive heroes, but was never able to. It would be great to get an expert opinion, one also "unencumbered by the thought process."

BTW, I am a confirmed prop-locker, largely because the sound of my prop spinning worries me. I'm not really concerned about speed, rather about wearing out the bearings, shafts and whatever could get worn out by spinning in neutral.

But that's a different discussion--one I don't want to start.

So, let's call the Car Guys!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627