Cruising Nova Scotia

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Cruising Nova Scotia

Post by Evergreen »

We were planning to go back to Nova Scotia for June and July.

Then we were reading in the "Cruising Guide To The Canadian Maritimes" by Cheryl Barr that June and the first part of July are not good for going because of persistent fog and rain.

What are your thoughts on this matter??? Have you ever been there in June? If so, how was it? We don't mind dealing with fog and rain as long as it isn't constant. Some wind helps a lot.

Your insights would be appreciated.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
jamesbuehner

Post by jamesbuehner »

The weather's pretty lousy early on but so can it be later. The Maritimes are complaining about the rain as I listen to Maritime radio while I varnish. Diapensia cruised for five weeks as far as Lunenberg a few years ago in late July and August. I'd say it's a crap shoot. Last year we had the best summer ever in Lubec and Passamaquoddy growing tomatoes on the Lubec Narrows. I'd only counted on cruising for two weeks that summer- 2008- but it stretched to nearly five. Westport and Briar Island were raw but we worked with a researcher who was wondering why certain shore birds had disappeared. Had a grand time smelling whales blowing in mist and fog below Lockport. There was no wind so we shut off the engine and made breakfast. We were blessed with sun in Lunenberg and Mahone Bay but returning to West Quoddy from Yarmouth was sodden and cold. I would not be deterred, however. June could be lovely. Then, again... And all in all, it's sailing and the people you meet are wonderful regardless of the weather. I'm sure this didn't help at all.....

Jimmy
[/i]
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.â€
mike ritenour

Maritime Radio?

Post by mike ritenour »

We are headed to the maritimes this summer from Lake Ontario and I was wondering what maritime radios you were monitoring.
for info. Are they VHF, SSB, AM or FM?
thanks,
rit
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Weather Reports

Post by Evergreen »

Weather reports are harder to come by in Canada, than the U.S.. ALWAYS get it whenever and however you can, no matter how difficult it is, as you may not get another opportunity for a day or so. It all depends on your location (distance from a radio tower, whether you are positioned behind physical obstructions to the signal), and also the weather plays a significant role. For example there have been times when we had to hike to the top of a nearby tall hill with the handheld in order to get reception. Thick fog diminishes the signal. Also one of the drawbacks of the Canadian system is that they do not forecast beyond a couple of days. We find we really miss the week forecasts given in the US when we are trying to plan a passage.

The two primary ways that we get weather (since we don't have a SSB yet) are VHF and via computer ( http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/index_e.html ).

VHF radio weather: Scan the channels as the reports can be scattered throughout the frequencies (both high and low). ALWAYS write down not only the forecast for your zone but also the adjacent zones. The weather systems move rapidly and knowing what is happening around you will forewarn you of what to expect down the road.

Computer weather at: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/index_e.html is good and easy to use. Just click on the appropriate zones and they pop up. Remember everything is in metric in Canada. Take a good wireless extension antenna (with an extension cable so that you can get some elevation) with you and you will be amazed at how many wifi hotspots are unlocked. Apparently, internet security is not such an issue in Canada and many folks leave their business and home sites unlocked which is a big asset. Most public wharfs and all public libraries have free Wifi.
Philip & Sharon
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Rit

There are the usual VHF weather channels that can be monitored. However they are in french and english. They do a complete forcast in french and then english so if you hear french just listen for a while and it will switch to english. You get marine and land forcasts .

Phil
mike ritenour

thanks

Post by mike ritenour »

I was thinking you had a special station you were monitoring.

I bought a small digital recorder a few years back and always record the broadcasts so that I can practice my French :roll:

We plan on being in NS in late June.

sail on,
Rit
jamesbuehner

radio weather

Post by jamesbuehner »

Sounds like you guys got Canadian weather down. I was listening to the CBC FM transmitting from Grand Manan which I can see from my boat shop. And, naturally, the signal is strong on Campobello Island where I'm luckily varnishing indoors. On the 2008 cruise I don't recall any problems receiving VHF weather reports.
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.â€
jamesbuehner

recorder

Post by jamesbuehner »

I forgot, I recorded the SSB broadcasts while in the Bahamas when there was only one chance each day to get it right.
Evergreen

Forecast followup notes

Post by Evergreen »

Recording the weather is an interesting idea --- especially since you often have to wait a very long time before it starts over with the information that you want. Of course that would be more difficult now that tape recorders are nearly a thing of the past.

Each area has its own set of VHF channels (much like the U.S.). Except they are not necessarily all in the 10 channel weather band --- you need to scan all the channels.

Forgot to mention that if you are there later in the season the Canadian Hurricane Center web site might be of interest: http://www.ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurricanes ... DA74FE64-1
Philip & Sharon
jamesbuehner

Post by jamesbuehner »

Sharon

My hand held gets Canadian VHF weather loud and clear from my house.I wonder if your problem was unique.

Jimmy
Bill Starck
Swansea, MA

Post by Bill Starck »

To your original question, I sailed to Shelburne from Swansea, Massachusetts a couple of years ago in late July. Weather was fine, nice southerly wind, very little fog. The only thing to keep in mind in the water temp. When rounding P-Town, I called home and the temp was near 90 deg F. the next few hours and for the next day or so, we were putting on wool caps, gloves, multiple layers of clothing...... it was cold.
When we got to NS, the weather was fine.

We are planning another trip this year to Halifax, leaving mid July.
Hoping for good, clear weather.

Bill Starck
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Highly recommended

Post by SeaBelle »

3 years ago we were about to join a flotilla to the west coast of Nova Scotia but had to abort due to mechanical problems. One does not want to go into Digby with an unreliable engine.

The following two years we explored the east coast first with the flotilla and last year alone and came within 50 nm of Cape Bretton. Brooklyn stole our hearts, they are so gracious; we were there both years, highly recommended as an entry point and for provisioning. The club will get you into town for diesel (in jerry cans) and provisions. This club is much more hospitable than fancy and we love them.

When we 1st visited they had organized trips to town via a members van. When most were served, a member said "if you missed the shuttles, my van is in the lot with its keys" some one said "that's pretty risky" and she answered " You'll have my van and I'll have your boat". A member had a VIOP account that included the states and offered it to us for free calls back home. Plan to eat there. Tell them about Moondance's they'll remember us.

We also visited The LeHarve Club up the river. We were looking for a hurricane hole.

We are told that August is the best time to visit NS primarily considering fog. Also, they don't fish for Lobster during the summer so leaving Maine waters and entering Canada is a relief. We use CANPAS, a Canadian system for simplified customs clearing.

Yarmouth, by my lights, is a place to avoid; the harbor is dirty and ugly. Last year we went straight to Brooklyn (near Liverpool on the charts). The only thing I felt we missed was Carter's Beach (at Port Mouton (Muhtoon) and we doubled back to visit. Other visited, favorite spots are (as best I can remember):
Lunnenberg
Mahone Bay.
Lunnenberg Back Harbor
Mahone Bay Town
Mosher I. - Beautiful
St. Margarets Bay
Head of the Bay. We passed head harbor and found a Nice spot on the port side (I don't have charts handy and can't remember the name)
We skipped Peggys Cove, filled with tour buses.
Rogues Roost. A must see. visit
Halifax. It was Race week; skipped it; didn't miss it.
Sally's Cove. Must visit, we loved it; much than Peggys Cove.
Marie Josphes was our turning point.

A word about Loveridge's Cruising Guide. Mr Loveridge spoke to the Flotilla in Yarmouth and scared the H-E-double hockey sticks out of many. One boat turned back and the distaff side of others reluctantly processed with trepidation. I felt he was saying I visited this place but you could never safely get in. We Used his guide largely because it was the only game in town but didn't agree with him on a fundamental level. He seemed to favor remote, scenic anchorages (as do I) to the exclusion of others.

This year we will be cruising Cape Breton's Bras da' Or. We'll probably leave Portsmouth, NH and head directly to NOS and put in at Brooklyn after a short recovery we'll head diectly to Cape Breton.
Last edited by SeaBelle on May 15th, '11, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
mike ritenour

Nova Scotia Rendevous?

Post by mike ritenour »

It seems that there are a a few Cape Dorys heading to NS this summer.

We are coming out of Lake Ontario and plan to be there from around mid-June to around the first of August.

Perhaps we can put together a roll call of the boats heading up and rendevous some where?

We'll stand the first sundowner :!:

Thoughts?

Sea u

Rit
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Cape Breton Plans

Post by SeaBelle »

We leave on Aug 11 and return on 9/1. Probably 4 days in transit plus whatever time we spend in Brooklyn to clear customs and rest. We'll decide our return date according to our whims at the time.

I'll be crewing on Moondance, a Sabre 452, not my Cape Dory 28.

If you're on the lake when we are, hail us. We monitor 16 while under way.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Dean Abramson

For SeaBelle Jack

Post by Dean Abramson »

Jack, I sent you a PM.
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine