Club footed jib or Genoa on CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Gregory

Club footed jib or Genoa on CD 28

Post by Jim Gregory »

it's neophyte Jim again. Sailed my derelict 28 for the first time today b/c I needed to take it to a nearby marina to b hauled and I have no engine. All went well. If anyone would like to see pics of marine growth on the bottom, I will send them, otherwise no blisters after sitting for 8-10 yrs, doing moisture test 2morrow.

Question: I sail in the lower and middle Ches Bay, winds usually 5-10 and better in spring and fall. I am trying to decide to use the club footed jib or just get a genoa. Any views????//

thx-Jim Gregory, no name yet
North Branch
Onancock, VA

Jib or Genny

Post by North Branch »

Jim,

I haven't sailed a CD 28, but think it would be best to have a jib and genny. You may be able to furl the jib on the club and hoist the genny in lighter air. The genny on my CD 27 does fine up to about 15 knots. With more wind than that I'll use the working jib, especially going to windward. A self-tending club-footed jib would be nice when tacking.

Good luck with the new boat.

Jim
North Branch, Onancock, VA

"Of all man-made things there is nothing so lovely as a sailboat. It is a living thing with a soul and feelings." H.A. Calahan
Jim Gregory

CD 28 jib

Post by Jim Gregory »

I am in Va Bch, see you on the water
SPIBob

CD28 headsail

Post by SPIBob »

I went from a club footed jib to a 135% genoa, on a roller-furler. I think it really improved Zephyr's performance on all points of sail. If I were sailing in predominantly 5-10 knot breezes, I would go to a 150% genoa.
sealark
"Sea Lark"

CD28 with Club Foot

Post by sealark »

I had the original club foot setup on my 28. When I purchased her - I had never even really seen one before and was certain I would convert to roller furling.

After using the club foot - I REALLY like it. It makes for some easy tacking.

However - it 5-10 knots - I agree that you would probably want something larger.

And being in the Chesapeake - I wouldn't think you would have to tack that often.

Kevin
Jim Gregory

Post by Jim Gregory »

Will the club footed jib push the boat at hull speed in 10 knots? I dont even like to sail in less than 10 but the wind dies some times.

Thx