Cape Dory 25 & Honda 5hp Outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Aaron Shapiro

Cape Dory 25 & Honda 5hp Outboard

Post by Aaron Shapiro »

New to Cape Dorys. We've got a beautiful CD25 under contract at Robinhood Marine. We've sailed our prized Pearson Electra for the past 16 years on Casco Bay, Maine. But alas she's aging, as are we, and the CD25 will provide a bit more comfort with a larger cockpit, cabin & roller furling - to name just three. We're not the yogi masters we once were and overnighting will be much easier.

Now to the topic at hand. We're novices at outboards located in a stern well. Does anyone know of or themselves been successful at using a newer Honda 5hp on a CD25? We own this motor from the Electra and find it to be a little bit better than perfection. So the questions: How do you fit it in - it's extremely tight? How do you wrangle the motor in and the tiller at the same time? Do you remove the tiller and re-fit after motor installation? How about the gas line connection - it seems terribly tight? Do you lower the wood mounting block or put a notch in it? And how deep? We love "double steering" in tight docking situations - but how can you pivot the motor with such a tight fit? Particularly steering to starboard - the tiller would appear to be quite hemmed in? And the clearance of the motor housing on the hatch cover seems tight as well? I think you get my drift. Anyone with good specific advise, particularly related to this particular Honda 5hp would be most appreciated. Photos sent off message board would be great.
Thanks for any help. Look forward to the new CD and a summer of sailing ahead. Aaron Shapiro, Portland, Maine
Aaron Shapiro
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Congratulations!

I have a Nissan 6HP so this may not be completely applicable.

I need to remove the drop board for the engine compartment to connect the fuel line.

There is room to pivot about 10-15 degrees, maybe less. I generally go not rely on this feature. Sprite has a deck plate where the throttle lever comes through which looks better and reduces windage versus the open hatch.

I leave the engine in, year round. It's too troublesome to take out, about 50lbs with a tough reach. I find it's best to push the tiller over hard to put the engine in or out. There was a good post within the past month about an in-water cover for the engine to reduce growth.

Jeff
tartansailor

Makinf a Honda Fit in a CD 25 Well

Post by tartansailor »

Yes it will fit if you do the following:
1) Replace the flimsy angle irons with something beefier like 3/16" X 2" SS angle, see pic 1.
Pic 1 is from the stern looking forward.
2) Lower the transom piece so the top is level with the adjacent platforms, and move the whole shebang as far forward as possible. See backing plates in pic 2.
3) put 2" blocks under the hood hinges effectively raising the hood 2".
That will insure clearance at the top of your motor.
Dick

GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I just replaced my outboard with a new Honda 5hp engine with the generator option. It fit into the well with no problem and the hatch closes completely without striking the engine.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Hymodyne

well in a cd22

Post by Hymodyne »

I've been watching this thread and I'm wondering if the 22 has a rear compartment suitable for an engine well.

currently we have an outboard kicker mounted; Its functional but really detracts from the beautiful lines of the boat. I'd like to install a well, with a 4-6 hp outboard and would appreciate it if folks with one could post some more pictures and advise as to whether or not this would be a solution.

Hym
Bill Coogan
Location: CD25 "Flying Bugster" and CD30C, "Flying Bugster II," Vineyard Haven, MA

Honda 5 h.p. propeller

Post by Bill Coogan »

I have a 2001 Honda 5 h.p. in the well of my CD25. The previous owner modified the bracket, so I'm not sure how the Honda would fit in the original setup.

BUT . . . there was one problem with the Honda on the CD25. It cavitated at anything over about half speed. After gritting my teeth and dealing with the low engine speed for an embarrassingly long time, I replaced the existing propeller with Honda's shallower pitched one. Problem solved! I can use all five horses now.
Troy Scott

outboard in a well

Post by Troy Scott »

Hymodyne,

Don't do it. The outboard in a well idea might seem like a good one until you get a little experience with it. I had one in my CD25. I also had a CD22 and a Typhoon Weekender. Honestly, outboards do not last well when constantly immersed, especially in salt or brackish water. Little critters move in and stop up the cooling water passages. Stuff grows on the prop and the motor foot. My Evinrude would overheat in the well unless I left the lid up, which then reflected the motor noise right into the cockpit. This is a common problem. And an outboard in a well is more draggy than an inboard with a prop in an aperture. You would go to a lot of trouble and end up with a slower boat which would also have reduced resale value.

I don't know where you sail, but I learned (30 years ago) that I really didn't need the motor on my CD22 or my Typhoon. They certainly looked nicer without one. Yes, I got stuck (becalmed) a few times, but the wind will always eventually blow..... Your situation may well be less conducive to sailing motorless. Have fun!
Regards,
Troy Scott
GLutzow

Outboard in a well

Post by GLutzow »

I agree. The reason that I had to replace my engine was caused by the constant immersion in salt water. I install the engine when I wish to sail and then remove it, take it home and do a THOROUGH flushing after every sail. As the engine doesn't weight THAT much, at 59, I have little problem installing/removing the engine on my own.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"

Aaron Shapiro

Honda 5 HP and CD25

Post by Aaron Shapiro »

Just to finish the story. Our Honda 5hp did fit in the outboard well of our "new to us" CD25. It's a tight fit but it works. Sailed and motored today from Robin Hood Marine in Arrowsic down to Falmouth, Maine. A long day of motoring and sailing but the boat and motor both exceeded expectations.

Aaron Shapiro
Portland, Maine
Aaron Shapiro
riveredge

no double steering

Post by riveredge »

My new (old) CD25 came with a 5hp Honda. I guess you've discovered double steering is impossible. Mine has worked great so far. I've almost given up trying to back up with it but these boats were never meant to go in reverse. Anyway its proven to provide plenty of power against and with strong winds.
Troy Scott

double steering is impossible?

Post by Troy Scott »

Hi Riveredge,

I'm not sure what you mean about double steering being impossible. I do know that in the CD25 that I owned and sailed back in the early 80s, I had a Johnson outboard. I practiced in the slip, with the engine OFF, to see if I could "steer" the motor in the well. I could, within limits. Then I started the engine and practiced. I learned that I could tie the tiller on the centerline and then maneuver the boat quite well in forward AND in reverse just by steering the motor.

Good luck with your "new" boat!
Regards,
Troy Scott
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

With my Honda I can turn to the left a little with the engine but not to the right at all. The throttle arm hits the side of the cockpit opening to the engine well.
GLutzow

steering with the motor

Post by GLutzow »

I install the engine with the tiller pointed upward which enables me to steer the engine. I made a hole in the hatch cover to accommodate the tiller when the hatch is closed and have had no problems with shipping water onboard.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"

Troy Scott

Greg is right

Post by Troy Scott »

When the arm is flipped up, you can steer it.
Regards,
Troy Scott
randyk

5 hp honda in CD25

Post by randyk »

I purchased hull #492 in MAY OF 2009. The previous owner had to remove the mounting clamps on the front of the motor to make it fit. When I took delivery, the engine was stored down in the cabin and laid down on the wrong side. it had been that way for 3 or 4 weeks - so there was oil all over the cabin sole. We never could get it to run more than 30 secs or so. Ended up towing QUEST 30 miles with my jonboat. I now have a 1996 8 hp Nissan 2-stroke LS with the 9.8 hp upgrade and a new 4-blade workboat prop from Nissan rated at 3500 lbs +. VERY HAPPY WITH THIS INSTALLATION.
QUEST