Wanted - Cape Dory 36

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
zephyr773

Post by zephyr773 »

I have a Cape Dory 36 for sale. It is on Lake Travis in Austin, TX. Check out www.murrayyachtsales.com for specs.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I have looked this boat in Austin over and it needs a lot of work,
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: reply

Post by mashenden »

Kevin Kaldenbach wrote:I have looked this boat in Austin over and it needs a lot of work,
As an unaffiliated and impartial comment, and having tracked prices of '82-'89 CD-36's for the past 3 year, Galavant is priced at the low end to reflect the transmission repair and other misc issues. Only one other that I have noticed as selling for less - $49.9K in the summer of 2009.

On a related side note, it seems that the economy has not affected the prices of CD-36's much at all. Houses down notably, many boats are down because of supply and demand, but not the CD-36's... probably becasue CD-36 owners are not overly motivated to sell.
Last edited by mashenden on Dec 14th, '10, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: reply

Post by mashenden »

[]
Last edited by mashenden on Mar 20th, '11, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I consider the folks at CDSOA as my friends. I gave my opinion of a boat that my wife and I looked at and am sticking to it.

I was saving this for after I bought my bigger boat just in case I decided to look this one over, but since we just closed on a Defever 40 here it goes. Do a key word search on Cape Dory 36 Key West and check that one out. It was in MD. on the hard earlier this fall for a lot less. Also there was one from this site in South Carolina for a lot less. I did not look at them but I did chat with the owners.

Yes you all heard me right we went to the dark side, but only for our dock condo. This free up my CD31 to go places. Yahoo!
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Southless

Post by Southless »

Still looking.
Southless

Wanted: CD 36

Post by Southless »

I'd go for a 40 but out of my price range plus a little more boat than I need/can handle. Meantime still looking for a 36 (or cutter-rigged 33).
Southless

Wanted: CD 36

Post by Southless »

Still looking. Please respond if you're looking to sell. Thanks!
Troy Scott

CD36

Post by Troy Scott »

Southless,

I'm not looking to sell mine, but you're on the right track! And you apparently appreciate fine things.

One suggestion: Find one that has been lovingly cared for and pampered. but DON'T be impressed by a lot of equipment, which will probably be outdated. The more original the better. The more pampered boats have usually been sailed less and are less worn. If you buy a cheap "fixer-upper", you'll spend a LOT of money and time fixing and upgrading when you'd rather be sailing. However, if you LIKE spending long hours in a boat barn, get a fixer-upper and make her exactly what you want.

The problem with finding a CD36 is that people LOVE them. They are beautiful, they sail well, so they usually only come on the market when folks just get too old.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Aquaman

Post by Aquaman »

Don't know if you are still looking...

I have a 1981 CD 36 for sale in Wilmington NC. She is going to be hauled out on Wednesday 6/28/11 to get bottom paint and a new prop shaft, the old one is pitted and keeps tearing up the packing.

In the last year she has had a new transmission, bimini top, a Garmin 4208 chart plotter with a HD radar. Her Perkins has about 2300 hours and runs good. Sails are in good condition, the main was replaced in 2008 and the Ginny in 07. Standing and running rigging is in good shape.

She comes with 2 anchors, dock lines, gas grill, pots and pans etc...

Boat is in good condition, bright work needs help which I will be working on this fall if she doesn't sell. She is listed at $69,900.

She is actively being sailed until she is sold.
Troy Scott

Aquaman's CD36

Post by Troy Scott »

$69,900 seems cheap to me for a CD36 in good condition. Maybe she would be more interesting at $89,900.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Southless

Post by Southless »

Thanks very much for your message, but proposed price is well beyond my means unfortunately. If you were in the low to mid 40's I would be interested. I know most CD36's aren't being offered for that amount, but that's where they're selling, especially with original engine, etc., and older sails.

Good luck.
Jerry Kimble

Re: Wanted - Cape Dory 36

Post by Jerry Kimble »

Would you be interested in one in San Francisco?
I personally commissioned my CD36 when I owned a dealership in San Diego. It was our ‘show boat’. It is currently moored at my doc on Bethel Island, CA. I’m just starting to dress her up to put on the market. Many extras.
Jerry Kimble San Francisco,CA