CD27 Port Settee Water Tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Duncan Maio

CD27 Port Settee Water Tank

Post by Duncan Maio »

I am continuing my on-again, off-again quest to improve the holding tankage aboard Remedy.

I know that, once upon a time, CD27s were equipped with a water and/or waste tank under the port settee. Several owners over the past decade have offered dimensions, etc. but none have been able to identify the manufacturer and part number. Kracor and Ronco both have tanks that almost fit, but don't quite (and don't match the known dimensions, in any case.

Before I embark on fabricating a custom tank, I thought I would ask one more time.

Fair Winds . . .
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Duncan, CD27 #87 had a vinyl bladder when I got her, but I took a different tack. Because multiple flushings failed to eliminate all of the antifreeze taste, and because I didn't see much gain in spending the amps to have a little washing water come out of the faucet, I took the bladder out and use the space for water jugs. The bladder is now a big solar shower bag. I took out the faucet, but left the pump and hoses. Anyway, a bladder would fit the space. If ever decide to make a hard tank, I'll be sure to have an arm-size access, for a good scrub now and then.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Post by Jimbo »

Duncan,

The port tank on my 27 is made by kracor it is model # something-6568. Hope this helps.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Jimbo:

Thanks - that tank/mold number is not in the catalog, but maybe Customer Service can help.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
jcmacleod

Post by jcmacleod »

I replaced the holding tank on my 27 which was located under the port setee. I have the original manufacturer and I believe the model number. The tank sent to me was an exact duplicate of the original. Again, this is the holding tank for the head,not the water tank. I just came across the old paperwork since I am in the process of selling my boat. I will try to find the info and post it here tomorrow.
John
craig

cd 27 holding tank

Post by craig »

tank depot sells a 15 gallon tank RH-215 which fits underneath the port settee. it is not an exact fit but does go in the space and would work well with some appropriate padding. i purchased the above tank and then discovered that you can put a stock sized 15 gallon tank behind the head and simplify the plumbing and venting. which i did. still have the unused settee tank if you are interested. would be glad to share my plumbing experience. thanks
craig
jcmacleod

Post by jcmacleod »

I dont have the model number , but it was a Krakor tank. I talked with Krakor and apparently they no longer have the mold for that tank. I replaced mine 8 years ago. Not much help.
John
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

John:

Thanks. I have a call in to Dave at Kracor - he was quite helpful with the tank I thought would work, and is looking up the mold number Jimbo indicated.

I am about to embark on another epoxy project (a CLC Passagemaker Dinghy) and so may tackle a custom tank while I am at it.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Craig:

Thanks. It looks like your Ronco tank might fit, and there is another that is also a likely candidate. If I can't get the OEM tank from Kracor, I will perhaps be in touch.

I would have long ago put a tank behind the head, but I am reluctant to give up the slide-out sink that is currently in that space.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
shinchman

Re: CD27 Port Settee Water Tank

Post by shinchman »

As an FYI to the board, the port side waste holding tank on my 1980 CD 27 is (or rather was, since it was cracked and I yanked it out last fall) a Kracor Model #2-5111, Serial (?) No 79294 of trapezoidal shape measuring 30" long (bow-stern) by 18" wide (port-stb) and 11.75" tall inboard (stb) and 2.5" tall outboard (port), with the angled line between inboard and outboard on the bottom.

As far as I can tell from searching, there is no easy replacement for this size. I am contemplating a composting head as a replacement. We cruise the coast of Maine 4 months a year, including usually a 1.5-2 week trip in August.

Any thoughts on suitability of Air Head or Nature's Head as a replacement?

Thx,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

The very first upgrade that we made to Slainte, was to replace the head with the Airhead, we would not go back. For two people it should handle a four month cruise. Any more than two and you would want to get a spare tank, or find some place to empty it. As a bonus, you get to use real toilet paper, as much as you need.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me