Outboard size

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

takah

Outboard size

Post by takah »

I have a 1979 CD25 with the original Johnson 9.9 outboard which I am looking to replace. I am looking at a new Honda however I am no sure on the maximum size the boat will take. Any feedback would be great.
tartansailor

CD 25 Outboard

Post by tartansailor »

My CD 25 came with an 8 hp Honda extra long shaft and weighed 85 lbs.
The engine was a very reliable easy starting quiet running machine, however at hull speed she was turning at less than half throttle.

My problem was it's weight! I can't lift that thing, Also, I felt that it was like starting and running a car in high gear, like going 6 mph in 5th. I could not find a prop for it that had a pitch less than 8; so I got rid of it.

Right now I'm using a 2 hp Evenrude, which is fine for getting in and out of a slip or mooring. A new 6 hp extra long shaft with a 6" pitch is ideal. That means Nissan or Tohatsu.

Dick
billc

Post by billc »

i have a 6 hp sailmaster that works well. however the opening in the base of the well is about 8.5 x 11 so it just goes in with some jiggling but coming out is a bear. other constraints are the distance from bracket to back of well and height of well cover. i would prefer a 4 stroke 2 cyl but lifting it in and out after everysail is not worth it. therefore i like the idea above of the smallest motor necessary for your particular situation. challenges of space aside i really like the well concept. i hear the honda classic series will fit and the nissan/tohatsu 6. not will to order until i'm sure...
sealark
"Sea Lark"

I recommend Tohatsu

Post by sealark »

The Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro will fit the hole at the base of the well and is not too heavy. However - the clearance on the inside from the top of the mounting blocking to the well cover was not enough space to allow the cover to close.

Since the bracket seemed a little under-built anyways - I picked up some 1/4" stainless angle from a local shop and made a new bracket.

The Tohatsu now fits perfect - about a 1 inch clearance between top of motor and bottom of cover.

The Tohatsu also has a 6 amp charger which is pretty nice.

I think it is a great motor for the price.
Bibster

Concur with the Tohatsu Sailpro recommendation,

Post by Bibster »

although I also agree that it doesn't quite fit in the engine well. I haven't made any modifications to the engine brackets or the well cover, so the well cover just barely rests on top of the engine cowling. I put a thick furniture pad (like you stick on the bottom of couch or chair legs to protect your wood floors) on the cowling where the well cover makes contact. That will do until I get around to a more seaman-like fix.

Anyway, the engine runs great, and the flat prop moves the CD25 quite well, even in reverse.
takah

outboard

Post by takah »

I found a 2006, never used, Nissan 5hp with a long shaft for $995 OBO. Any thouhts?
billc

Post by billc »

i would get the sail pro as suggested. not that much more. not sure it will fit in lazarette though. should but i'm not sure.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I just replaced my motor with a Honda 5hp. The 4 stroke engines are a little larger than the 2 stroke which means that the 5 hp JUST fits in the well and I am able to close my lid.
If you are up for something different look at the new 4.0 electric motor listed in West Marine's new catalog. If I had seen that first you becha I'd have tried it. It is not only smaller, it's lighter annnd there is not a cooling system that needs to be flushed after every use to prevent corrosion.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Nissan or Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke

Post by Steve Bryant »

I replace my Johnson 9.9 with a Nissan 6hp 4 stroke 20" shaft and also ordered the 6" pitch prop for more thrust. It's an extra, but I have the original prop as a spare. Handle folds back and doesn't interfere with the engine hatch cover. I did have to lower the motor mount 1 3/4" so the hatch cover would close, but that was pretty simple. It's been a very reliable motor with plenty of power for my needs.

Bought it on-line from these folks:

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/index.html

Price included free shipping and no sales tax. Great customer service and no problems.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815