Full-keel ban

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

There was one at our yard two years ago. I think it might have been one of those Block Island race tactics where you hug the eddies behind a rock in close to shore and then dart out at the last minute. They waited a few seconds too long!

They nailed the fin keel hard enough to rip the keel bolts through the stringers. Once that was accomplished they bounced over the rock and took out the spade rudder.

I got to see the inside as the repairs were underway. complete removal of the cabin sole was necessary to get at the stringers. These had to be rebuilt and then the whole mess bolted back together. Then there was glassing in and fairing of the keel joint. The rudder was the easy part as I am pretty sure they threw it away and installed a new one.

There is one boat in our yard that seems to smack his keel hard enough every year to require reglassing. Then there are the boats with the keel seams that open up annually. I even noticed this on the Hinkleys at Southwest Harbor.

Whenever I see one of these ripped off keels, a gaping joint between keel and hull or smushed up wings, I am so thankful for all the extra sanding our Cape Dorys require, Steve.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

good thing our 25D has a MODIFIED full keel, with cutaway forefoot!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

MODIFIED Full Keel

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Randy,

About ten years ago I ran afoul of an unmarked elephant rock about a half mile or so off shore.

Because of the MODIFIED cut away keel, I rode up on the rock and washed off again. Talk about a surprise.

If it wasn't for the tapered, cutaway forekeel, we would have had to swim home. On later hull check, all I found were a few scratches and abrasions.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Robert Delaney

Post by Robert Delaney »

John,

I just noted your April fool's day posting and thought I would weigh in (which is different that way in, or weigh end). You, knowing or unknowingly, may be on to something, you usually are!!!!

Aren't those Oslo Norwegian's the ones who, with thousands of their fellow believers, rioted in the streets of Oslo over the Caricature of Prophet mohammed in October of 2010? Did they not also award a noble prize to Al Gore for made up Science about human caused global warming? And more recently, did they not issue an "anticipatory" noble Peace prize to the great war monger Barrack Hussein Obama??

With these great feats of accomplishment it is certainly not out of the realm of reason for the Oslo Norwegian's (April the 1st or not)to suggest a band on those known to be problematic full keel sailboats. But then, maybe they would simply base it on the fact that they watched in amazement as a Cape Dorian backed his/her boat under power!

Robert Delaney

ps. nothing in the second paragraph is meant to be political but rather examples to show that the Oslo Norwegian's have the full capacity for reasoned thinking!!
rtbates

Re: MODIFIED Full Keel

Post by rtbates »

Oswego John wrote:Hi Randy,

About ten years ago I ran afoul of an unmarked elephant rock about a half mile or so off shore.

Because of the MODIFIED cut away keel, I rode up on the rock and washed off again. Talk about a surprise.

If it wasn't for the tapered, cutaway forekeel, we would have had to swim home. On later hull check, all I found were a few scratches and abrasions.

O J
Who cares about a little fussiness in reverse! Beats the alternative
Randy 25D Seraph #161