Raising boom height - Any thoughts?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

Re: I beg to differ

Post by SurryMark »

Dean Abramson wrote:You might want to start a new thread on the plusses and minuses of dodgers. It would probably get a lot of traffic.
Dan
I'd put in my two cents, and I'd pay another buck forty not to take Tula's dodger away. I do love to see some of that cool water not running down my neck.

On the question of a bimini while sailing: not to take away from the brutal Florida sun, but seriously, how do you check sail trim while you're under a roof? (I do sometimes rig a canvas while at anchor on a rainy night.)
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
jerryaxler

Re: I beg to differ

Post by jerryaxler »

SurryMark wrote:
Dean Abramson wrote:You might want to start a new thread on the plusses and minuses of dodgers. It would probably get a lot of traffic.
Dan
I'd put in my two cents, and I'd pay another buck forty not to take Tula's dodger away. I do love to see some of that cool water not running down my neck.

On the question of a bimini while sailing: not to take away from the brutal Florida sun, but seriously, how do you check sail trim while you're under a roof? (I do sometimes rig a canvas while at anchor on a rainy night.)
I check sail trim by looking thru the window in the roof of the bimini which I can zip closed if the sun is in exactly the wrong place.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
bottomscraper

Sail Trim With Bimini

Post by bottomscraper »

SurryMark wrote:but seriously, how do you check sail trim while you're under a roof?
We have 2 clear sky facing panels on our bimini with interior
fabric covers that you can zip off to look at the sails. Underway
with sails up we usually have one of the panels exposed.

Protection from the sun is a good thing, even in Maine.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
SurryMark

Re: Sail Trim With Bimini

Post by SurryMark »

bottomscraper wrote: Protection from the sun is a good thing, even in Maine.
We use clouds, fog, and, in the rain, souwesters.
Today it's snow.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
WaywardWind

Re: Sail Trim With Bimini

Post by WaywardWind »

SurryMark wrote:
bottomscraper wrote: Protection from the sun is a good thing, even in Maine.
We use clouds, fog, and, in the rain, souwesters.
Today it's snow.
I use Solumbra SPF 100 shirts, long pants (typically jeans), "Legionnaire's" caps, and SPF 100 stuff on my face and hands.

BTW, I've never seen a boat with a bimini that did not also have a dodger.

I'm thinking about putting my dodger back on my boat so I raise it at night to keep any rain out when I leave the hatch open.
CD-Sailor

DELETED

Post by CD-Sailor »

DELETED
Last edited by CD-Sailor on Jul 6th, '11, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
WaywardWind

50 out of 20,000

Post by WaywardWind »

50 out of 20,000.

YET ...

... every last bimini on every last sailboat is an airfoil more or less crossways to the wind. Every last bimini on every last sailboat harms the sailing performance of the boat it is on.

There is no such thing as bad weather (or bad sun) on a sailboat. Only bad clothing.

IF the discussion is about sailboats, THEN the thought of raising a sailboat's boom ten inches up from where the boat's designer placed it is harmful to the boat's performance AND the boat's resale value.

Sorry.

On the other hand, if the discussion is ways to make a "Florida Room" of the cockpit of a seaside vacation home which sometimes motors one anchorage to another, then -- of course -- raising the boom to make a Florida Room is a valuable idea.

Sorry, but I think a CD27 is far too small to make an effective seashore vacation home. Although, as the designer designed it, it sure is a fine sailing boat.

I'd bet that also at least 50 small sailboats out of 20,000 have large scale plasma TV's onboard, and probably twice that many have electric popup toasters.

Sorry, putting a bimini on a CD27 is like putting ketchup on caviar or a sidecar on a Kawasaki motorcycle.

Just my 2 cents, because I like to sail.
SurryMark

Re: 50 out of 20,000

Post by SurryMark »

WaywardWind wrote: There is no such thing as bad weather (or bad sun) on a sailboat. Only bad clothing.

IF the discussion is about sailboats, THEN the thought of raising a sailboat's boom ten inches up from where the boat's designer placed it is harmful to the boat's performance AND the boat's resale value.
Well, WwW, I'd take it easy on sailors who want the shade. They'll probably take it off when they enter their cape dory in an unhandicapped race. And the dodger? It's a luxury. I guess we wimps could carry an extra abundance of warm dry clothes, keep our cabins heated, and stow a spare crew for those single-handed trips when every extra hour of cold wet feels like an extra watch tacked on to the day. Thinking about it, though, I recall a few times when Tula's dodger overhauled a larger boat. And as for frigging around with the design, there'll be more to write about in coming months. Happy sailing. Hope you have a great summer.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
WaywardWind

Post by WaywardWind »

SurryMark wrote:
WaywardWind wrote: There is no such thing as bad weather (or bad sun) on a sailboat. Only bad clothing.
SurryMark wrote:Well, WwW, I'd take it easy on sailors who want the shade..
If they ARE sailors, they will perform AS sailors.

[quote="SurryMark]
They'll probably take it off when they enter their cape dory in an unhandicapped race. And the dodger? It's a luxury. I guess we wimps could carry an extra abundance of warm dry clothes, keep our cabins heated, and stow a spare crew for those single-handed trips when every extra hour of cold wet feels like an extra watch tacked on to the day. Thinking about it, though, I recall a few times when Tula's dodger overhauled a larger boat. And as for frigging around with the design, there'll be more to write about in coming months. Happy sailing. Hope you have a great summer.
..[/quote]

Which is cheaper, good clothing ..... or ...... a dodger with bimini with cover cloths with drop cloths with fleece blankets with weather clothes with high boots with a 10,000 btu engine heater with snuggies with ... with ... with ...

Raising the boom ten inches to avoid a bimini is .....

.... NOT prudent sailmanship. Unless the idea IS a seashore vacation home home, and a damned small seashore vacation home at that.

If sailing is the idea, sailing is the idea.
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

WaywardWind wrote: If sailing is ...
Touche!
4-1 and out.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Troy Scott

raising the boom

Post by Troy Scott »

At the risk of sounding like an "old fogy", I dislike major modifications to classic boats.
Regards,
Troy Scott
billc

Post by billc »

give the boat a sail and see what you think. mainly see how it goes upwind. i resurrected an oday javelin years ago. it had no sails. i got a jib from somewhere and a 470 sail from a guy who was trying to make the olympics. the fit was close enough. sailed the boat for years with no problems. likewise i would bet the "performance" of this rig isn't hurt too much. mainly a little less sail area in exchange for more room under the bimini. depending on where you sail a bimini might be more than a nice thing to have. the control on cd's (from what i know) are minimal. ie adjustment of sail is minimal. so a good sail, properly set, and then knowing how to sail efficiently is about what you can do. this can offset any small loss of sail area...
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Since you are shortening your sail by cutting it off of the bottom you are not adding sail area higher up. If you were putting a sail on with the original length of foot and reducing the sail area aloft then I would say it would add to tenderness.
That being said you may in fact be adding sail area further up when reefed because the reef points will not change. Since it is desirable to keep your sail area lower in a blow you may not like the set up. Also you are losing a good bit of sail by cutting it off of the foot.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
WaywardWind

sail area reduction

Post by WaywardWind »

Because the boom length is unchanged, 100% of the sail reduction area is above the boom. The reduction starts fractions of an inch at the boom and increases linearly to the mast head, which is reduced by ten inches. Because the P is reduced by "about 10%" even as the E is unchanged, the total sail area of the main is reduced from about 167 ft^2 to "about" 150 ft^2.

Because the unchanged boom is raised ten inches, the CE of the sail is raised even as the total sail area is reduced.

I can't image that "about 10%" reduction in main sail area would be anything but a reduction in performance at most wind speeds for a boat that is already a slug at low wind speeds. And, a more tender boat to boot.
billc

Post by billc »

i agree with WwW. however "how much" is the question. as i said above i think its workable (but give it a sail) however i should add that i wouldn't do it. i have the same situation and i'm looking at lowering the B.