Sailboat sinks in San Diego Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Sailboat sinks in San Diego Bay

Post by Warren Kaplan »

A sailboat capsized and sank in San Diego Bay. Cause not known yet. At the end of the article they said there were 10 people aboard a 25 footer. I suppose if they all were sitting to leeward there could be some problems, depending on the kind of boat.

Here's the article. Hope the link works.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110328/ap_ ... t_capsizes
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
drb9

How many?

Post by drb9 »

How many people would you consider taking for a day-sail on a CD25-27?
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am sorry to hear of the loss of life and the injuries for that matter.

Although there were not many useful details in this story, I believe it is safe to say that they did not exercise the greatest judgment or seamanship.

Forget about how many people could be safely taken aboard a CD-25. What about a light displacement centerboarder? The biggest issue is weather or not there were 10 or more PFDs aboard. This was a preventable tragedy. It is also the type of event that increases regulations and insurance rates.

It is impossible to protect everyone from themselves, Steve.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: How many?

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

drb9 wrote:How many people would you consider taking for a day-sail on a CD25-27?
The number for me would be inversely proportional to the expected conditions and the time allotted, with additional consideration given for the sailing experience (or lack thereof) of the guests.

Maybe maximum of six with breezes under 12 kts, and a short sail. Goes down from there with more wind and more time on the water.
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Capsize

Post by Scott Launey »

I live in SD and from the news pictures it's obvious that the keel fell off and they also said it was a 35 footer. Still a crowd with 10 people onboard. Weather was not a factor yesterday; it was beautiful with light winds.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Posts on Sailnet indicate it's tentatively identified as a MacGregor 26.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Capsize

Post by Scott Launey »

As usual the local paper had it wrong and it was a 26 footer. The info is still sketchy as of now.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

I can't figure this one out....

Post by sgbernd »

I saw the footage of the overturned boat, and it seems to be missing the keel?!?
The news reported it was a rental boat but I have never heard or a keel-less rental 25ft sail boat. Also, in the footage, it was floating upside down. Most boats I have owned don't float upside down very long, either they will right themselves or fill with water and sink. Is it possible the keel was lost?

Or if it was water ballasted (think Mac-Gregor 26) that the ballast was forgotten?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

This might explain a lot.

http://www.macgregorsailboats.com/saili ... tions.html

There is no keel!

If it was a rental and the folks really didn't know what they were doing they might not even have had the centerboard down.

This boat just doesn't look all that stable. Lots of small boats don't look and in fact are not very stable but an experienced crew is able to sail them. Then again even with the best of crews there are capsizes all the time in dinghy sailing.

This just seems like it was the wrong combination of boat and crew, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I can't figure this one out....

Post by Neil Gordon »

sgbernd wrote:I saw the footage of the overturned boat, and it seems to be missing the keel?!?
The news reported it was a rental boat but I have never heard or a keel-less rental 25ft sail boat. Also, in the footage, it was floating upside down. Most boats I have owned don't float upside down very long, either they will right themselves or fill with water and sink. Is it possible the keel was lost?

Or if it was water ballasted (think Mac-Gregor 26) that the ballast was forgotten?
The MacGregor 26 has a centerboard. Inverted, it would fall into the trunk. (The specs say that board up the boat draws a mere 12".)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

We had a McGregor moored next to us for a couple years. It behaved freakishly, and that was at the mooring! It consistently pointed 90 deg off from all the other boats in the mooring field.

My friend's theory was, there are always a lot of them for sale, lightly used -- that should be a hint.

Jeff
Jack & Jo Chamberlain

Post by Jack & Jo Chamberlain »

I just found this link which seems to be the most factual account so far.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... -accident/
Jack & Jo Chamberlain
Dan & Chris
2007 Melonseed Skiff "Sprout"
Linekin Bay, ME

Again?

Post by Dan & Chris »

This sounds similar to the one we had in Vermont in 2002, also a MacGregor 26 with many on board:

http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

Dan
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Way over the limit...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The MacGregor 26 is essentially a hybrid -- a cross between a sailboat and a powerboat -- but it is more of a powerboat than a sailboat and does not have a sailboat's keel, instead it uses ballast tanks for stability. The hull is also cored with foam so that it is unsinkable, but it certainly can capsize when overloaded.

According to federal reguglations, every power boat built since 1972 which is less than 20 feet must have a capacity plate. The individual states have requirements which are even more strict. So if you've got a small power boat, look for it. It will look something like this:

If you try the formula, you'll find it gives you a ridiculous number. You can load up your boat like that while sitting at a dock, anchored or on a mooring, but don't try to go anywhere with that many people aboard.

The capacity of the MacGregor 26, according to the manufacturer's web site is: when the ballast tanks are full -- 6 people or 960 pounds. So they were obviously way over the limit. There's no way the combined weight of 10 people, unless they're all small children, is going to be less than 960 pounds.

MacGregor's web page on safety: http://www.macgregor26.com/safety/safety.htm

Boat U.S. info on capacity plates: http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/revi ... info1a.htm

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Mar 29th, '11, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
SurryMark

Ah, the perfect boat

Post by SurryMark »

Not to worry. Check out the videos on the MacGregor site - http://www.macgregor26.com/ - to see a 26 footer that frolics in 50 kts and beam seas (with the companionway wide open) when those silly Cape Dorys head for a b&b. And it sleeps six and goes 25 mph with the outboard. Eat your heart out, Cap'n Alberg.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net