WTB / Need help finding 8' hard dinghy

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
SwiftRanger

WTB / Need help finding 8' hard dinghy

Post by SwiftRanger »

Hello,

So in our troubles to find a 8' rowing dinghy, I have come for help. Here's our predicament, we live in Denver and our boat is in Elizabeth City, NC. We will be traveling out there in 2 weeks to go on a 1 month sail, however, we have no dinghy.

We are looking to purchase a 8' rowing dinghy to be shipped to our marina, but we'd rather not spend $1000 on a walker bay 8. We found a great one:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... ,9203.html

But they want to charge almost $600 for shipping!

Does anyone know of any other options? We really like smaller, classic looking dinghies.

Thanks for your help,

Patrick
Russell

Post by Russell »

$600 for shipping sounds absurd, are they trying to ship it UPS or FedEx or something? I would think a rigid dinghy would be shipped freight and shouldnt cost anywhere near $600.

I cannot imagine that hamilton marine wouldnt do it, did you call and talk to them? If you just used their website they may not be setup for freight delivery via online orders, but that doesnt mean its not possible.

If they wont do it, call the builder http://frankfortboatworks.com/ and ask them which of their dealers would be best to deal with. You may end up paying slightly more for the dinghy then hamiltons sale price, but should save hundreds on shipping. I wouldnt be suprised if they could work out a deal where a dealer sold it to you drop shipped from the builder.

Puffins are nice little dinghys, the small model will be a tad on the small side for more then one person, but they are really tough boats. A far better choice then a walker bay in my opinion, even setting price aside.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Tim Bunner

Post by Tim Bunner »

Would you consider using a car top carrier? I have an 8 ft hard shell dingy(pre Walker Bay) needs seat boards. I am in the Denver area. Send a PM if you're interested.
SwiftRanger

Post by SwiftRanger »

I would have purchased it, but we are flying out to our boat. Thanks for the offer though!

BTW, I've contacted Frankfort boat works directly so we'll see what they say.

Thanks guys,

Patrick
sunapeesailor

Puffin

Post by sunapeesailor »

Hi,
Have you looked at the Elizabeth City area craigslist?
Find a dinghy and them maybe a local member could, be so kind, as to check it out for you.
Just a thought,
Susan
billc

Post by billc »

i like the craigslist idea. you must be flying into norfolk or newports news or somewhere in that area? i searched craigslist and found a decent one for $325. rent a minivan or pickup to haul it down. then you can use the vehicle to get supplies etc before you leave the dock and turn it in the day before. assuming EC has that rental vendor.
SwiftRanger

Post by SwiftRanger »

Thanks guys,

I think I found one in Norfolk, trying to talk the guy into dropping it off at that downtown Portsmouth dock. Fingers Crossed!

Cheers,
Patrick
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Check Craigslist in Maine for someone heading south with a truck. Pay online, have them pick it up and drive it down to the marina.

Uship.com is a possible option too.
James
Robert Delaney

Post by Robert Delaney »

Patrick - I have a Bauer 8' dinghy with oars and factory cover that I would sell. I will be coming to Annapolis, MD next week to pick up a Com-Pac 23 and could drop it off enroute if we work something out. My email is <robkardel at aol dot com>
marilou

sent PM

Post by marilou »

n/m
SwiftRanger

Post by SwiftRanger »

Just wanted to let everyone know, Hamilton Marine drop the price down a bit so we decided to go ahead with the order. Thanks again to everyone who helped us out.

See you guys on the water,

Cheers,
Patrick
CD 30