"Nido" is neat stuff and yummy too

Share your provisioning secrets and solutions as well as your recipes.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

"Nido" is neat stuff and yummy too

Post by Evergreen »

Do you ever use milk on the boat? No refrigeration - no problem.

If you do use milk, we Strongly recommend that you stock up on some "Nido" (made by Nestle corp). We learned about it at a seminar at the Miami boat show several years ago. Apparently it is widely used in Latin America.

It is a powdered Whole milk that actually tastes better than regular milk. It comes in a yellow can, and the can does not require refrigeration. When you open the can you are engulfed by a creamy aroma. It is very rich and can be consumed as milk, in coffee etc, or used in baking. The cans come in two sizes (small and large).

Where to get it: It can be purchased at Walmart or in many ethnic food stores (especially those catering to folks from Latin America).

You will never use anything else once you try it. We even use it at home now.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Avid

Post by Avid »

JHO
I have to second this! We've been using it for years on our boat!

Good post :)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

We've been using Parmalat. It's not powdered but doesn't need refrigeration until after opening, so we purchase only the kid's juice box sizes so there's never too much milk to go bad. (We don't have refrigeration, just an ice box.) It usually gets used up pretty quickly though so we've not had any go bad. Anyway, thinks for the tip, we'll have to try the Nido.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
barfwinkle

Nido

Post by barfwinkle »

I have some chilling in the fridge now. I have also tried Parmalat, but as a milk "connoisseur" I have a problem with the taste unless it is very cold. I have also used (and still do from time to time) Sanalac Instant milk which is not that bad.

Not being accustomed to "whole" milk I am not too sure if I am tasting the "whole" milk flavor or some bit of "instant" milk taste. But its not bad and I do dearly love good cold milk and I only have the ice box as well!

Thanks for the info.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.