Wiring RAM Mic

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Wiring RAM Mic

Post by Dean Abramson »

I am trying to figure out where and how to position a VHF's RAM mic in the cockpit. Preferably I would have it at the helm. But I am pretty maxed out regarding wires running up thru the (Merriman) steering pedestal; I don't think that I can run another.

I am wondering: if I drill a hole in the cockpit sole, just aft of one leg of the pedestal guard, it would be out of the way, and I could then run the cable up the side of the hoop, attached by wire ties. The connecter (which goes to the mic's cable) would be up high, underneath the platform that the gauge pods are on. And I would keep the mic, when in use, one some kind of hook also under that platform.

The bugaboo to me is the hole in the sole. Part of me says that that is just flat a bad idea. Is it possible to get a really good waterproof fitting for the cable to pass thru?

I would appreciate input on this scheme. And also any input on wiring/mounting a remote mike in the cockpit. The 36s have a nice cubby in the coaming for something like this, but not the 31 and most other smaller CDs.

Thanks,

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Dean:

This is why I have my handheld VHF - no drilling, no wiring, and its right at hand at the helm for quick, close-in communications. If I need the additional range of my fixed VHF, I typically also have the time to go below and use the mic there (or have crew handle it.)
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dean

My ram mike is mounted on the port side of the cockpit just back of the shore power plug. I also have a handheld, its main use is for the ditch bag but i use it some times when on shore.

Phil
Len

Ram Wire

Post by Len »

Dean,

Even if the ram mike cord could fit through your stansion posts (which it can't because the end fittings are too fat) where could you possibly mount the plug? Does your chart plotter case have any room in it ??

I would Not put a hole in your cockpit sole ! (That could be a song!!)

How about on the side of one of your lockers?

This is going to require eyeballing and beer.

Lenny
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Dean Abramson

Thanks all

Post by Dean Abramson »

Skip, I also have a handheld, but I am thinking about moving it to the ditch bag for permanent residence there. And that radio has no DSC.

Phil, I am kinda thinking about the same general location. We do not use shore power, and so have never upgraded that wiring. I am thinking about maybe cutting a hole in the side of the footwell, and installing a recessed box there for this over the area where the shore power plug now resides. Please send me a photo of your arrangment if it is convenient.

Lenny, thanks. I believe I have now given up on the cabin sole idea. The plan was to build/obtain some type of box which would hang under the platform on the pedestal. The mic plug (and mic when not in use) would live there. And there would be a mic clip up on the side of of my teak drink holder. But I am now thinking more in terms of the cubby idea described above. But feel free to come by and consult. I have tons of beer.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Dean,

What make VHF do you have? If you have an Icom, where ever you have the remote don't "hot" plug / unplug the remote. They don't tell you about this in the manual but I learned this the hard way. It fried my VHF.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Dean Abramson

Good Advice

Post by Dean Abramson »

Joe,

It's a Standard Horizon Matrix 2150. But I am sure that is great advice for any remote. Thanks for mentioning that. I will put a warning tag at the socket.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dean

Most ram mike are weather proof so there is no need to build a weather box. Mine came with a plug and mike hanger . When on long trips it stays out side all the time . Rain and fog do not effect it . I have had this mike for at least six seasons.

I have a Standard Horizon radio ( GX 1270)

Oh by the way you should not be so cruel to Lenny . Give him a beer. :D

Phil
Dean Abramson

Wow

Post by Dean Abramson »

Phil,

I guess I should have looked at the manual! (I just got it today.) That's very good news. I had no idea that a mic could be so weatherproof that you can just leave it out. I will see what this one claims.

So I assume that your socket is up as high on the vertical surface of the footwell as possible, and so is the mic hook. Does the cord touch the cockpit sole when the mic is on the hook? Is the cord long enough that you can use the mic while standing at the wheel? This cord looks like it might not want to stretch (uncoil) that much.

Actually, I treat Lenny quite well. Ask him. And he has a good sense of humor. I hope. And of course, he is always welcome to my beer.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dean

I would say my mike plug is about 3/4 the way up on the vertical surface. The cord just hits the botton of the cockpit and does not get in the way. You should not have any problems using the mike while at the wheel or most areas of the cockpit.

The nice thing is you can listen to the weather while underway as the speaker is quite loud.

A reminder when you come to Canada this summer the marine weather is in french and english on the same channel. They broadcast for 1/4 of an hour in french then english so do not look for an english only channel. In the Bay of Fundy wx 2 or 3 .

Phil
Bob Brown

Post by Bob Brown »

Dean,

Ours is about 1/2 way up the side wall on the outside of the port cockpit locker. The connection is a quick connect. The mike is mounted to the nav box at the helm. We either need to relocate the mike holder mount or the connector. The cable was ripped out of the connector three times last season by clumsy feet. The connector is deformed and needs to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Bob Brown
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven had the same problem of too many wires at the helm. They would not all fit through the pedestal guard and I didn't want to replace it with one of those big honkin mommas.

I drilled a hole in the cockpit sole just forward o the pedestal. I covered the hole with a 1" stainless tube with a flange on the bottom that is water tight. On top there is a grommet that allows very little if any water to enter.

The worst part of the project was getting a slight S bend in the tube so it would fit in behind my fold down cockpit table.

I think I would want the mic at the helm, Steve.
Emil Maurer

Ram Mike Mount

Post by Emil Maurer »

I need to talk to a bridge tender on leaving and returning to Jones Inlet. I found that sticking my head down into the companionway to use the mike on the radio when there was strong current and lots of other vessels around waiting to transit the bridge made me very anxious.

I mounted my Ram Mic (Standard Horizon on a CD25D) in the aft port corner of the cockpit next to the throttle. It is out of foot traffic there.

I find the Ram Mic works really well when I am at the helm.

The speaker volume is usually adequate to monitor traffic with the unit hung on its clip. I sometimes turn up the volume on the master unit in the cabin to provide sound reinforcement if there is high level background noise around and I don't have a freehand to hold the unit close to my ear.

(You know of course you need to hold the unit near near your mouth and press the transmission button to use the mike.)

After a few years of plugging and unplugging the cable, I developed an
intermittent connection in the cable connector. I returned it to Standard Horizon and they repaired it promptly for $45. Good support and service. Good product.
Emil Maurer
Dean Abramson

Stretch

Post by Dean Abramson »

This may sound like a dumb question, but...

How much are these coiled cords supposed to stretch (uncoil)? This mic cord's coiled part is around 11" long when tightly coiled, with the whole cord about 15."

I am mounting the socket where the shore power inlet used to be, in the cockpit footwell's wall, near the top, just to my left when I am at the helm. It does not seem that I am going to be able to stand at the wheel and talk into the mike without stooping down a bit. Not ideal. (This arrangement would work a lot better on a boat with a tiller, like I am assuming Emil's is.)

Or will that cord safely stretch more than I am guessing? Will it stretch more easily over time? Can one physically "un-lay" it a bit by going along and bending it back "against the lay?"

To stand upright, I'll really need this cord to stretch to about four times it's coiled length.

Finally, why do they make these cords so short? Seems odd for a remote mic. (This is the Standard Horizon RAM3.)

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dean

When at the wheel I have no problem using the ram mike . I know when going through Saint John harbour you have to very alert about where you are going and you have to call the the local harbour traffic control to tell them your are in the harbour coming from the river.

I found my ram mike. It is a SH cmp23w . The cord is about 3 ft long and stretches up to 8 ft. I can take a picture if you like .

Phil