New Ty Mainsail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary H

New Ty Mainsail

Post by Gary H »

The bad news is that I have been told that my typhoon mainsail (original - 35 years old) is beyond repair. The good news is that my wife has offered to buy me a new mainsail for Christmas!

After shopping around, I found tht Somerset Sails in Baker, NY will construct a sail for me for $485 with one reef line. This price is very competitive with the Asian sail companies and I like doing buisness "locally."

Anyone have any experiences with Somerset sails?
mjohn

Post by mjohn »

Gary,

Am considering a new set of sails by Somerset as well. Did you eventually purchase from them?

mjohn
Gary H

Sail on Order

Post by Gary H »

I ordered a main sail from him in late December. I have not received it yet. In all fairness, I told Martin there was no rush to get it before April. I expect to receive it later this month and look forward to hoisting it when all the snow melts.
mjohn

Post by mjohn »

Gary,

Thanks for responding. Am sure you're anxious to get your sail.

Spent some time with Martin on the telephone this morning and think I'm going to order a main and a 135% jib w/CDI furler. He's quite knowledgeable and an enormous source of all things sail.

Did you order your main with cross cut or radial design?

Mike
Gary H

crosscut main

Post by Gary H »

I just ordered the traditional crosscut. My Ty sailed beautifully with it's 35 year old mainsail until it ripped, and I'm not too worried about getting the absolutely max performance.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

mjohn,

Would you please furnish Martin of Somerset Sail's phone number.

It sounds to me like it's a fair deal. I'd like some more info from him.

Think spring,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mjohn

Post by mjohn »

OJ,

Martin's telephone number is 800-323-9464 (www.somersetsails.com). Plan to place my order today.

Do you happen to have an opinion on/see a significant difference between radial and cross cut for TY purposes? All I know is cross-cut, but Martin seems to make a compelling cases for radial without the cost.

mjohn
mjohn

Post by mjohn »

Gary,

Just wondering if you've received you mainsail yet.

Mike
CapeTyphooner
Lewis Bay
Cape Cod

Post by CapeTyphooner »

Did any of you receive your sails from Somerset yet? If so, any feedback you can provide would be great. I am thinking of ordering some new sails for my Typhoon Senior. Thanks.