CD25 Furler options sought

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jepomer

CD25 Furler options sought

Post by jepomer »

I'm looking for some advice/opinions about the various foresail furlers available for the CD25. Replacing the furler was not on the "list" for this year. I am trying to make an informed decision. I already searched this forum and got a lot of useful information.

The one that came with our CD25 (#622) is VERY OLD. It has a continuous full-length aluminum extrusion for the luff. The bearings do not spin smoothly. The forestay should be replaced (already replaced the rear stay, shrouds still look good). It does not have an adjusting turnbuckle. There is a Norseman connection at the top of the stay.

When discussing this with several riggers at the New England Boat Show, they expressed much surprise that this furler was still in use AND that the mast had not fallen yet! I did reassure them that this CD25 was last registered in 1996.

After investigating furlers (and past postings on this forum), there appears to be three popular manufacturers - CDI, Schaefer, Harken.

A) CDI FF2 or FF4 is the least expensive. It does not require alterations to the forestay. The extrusion is continuous plastic. FF2 or FF4???

I have used the CDI FF2 on our 1988 Capri 22. We don't change the headsail and have had no problems with this one which was on the Capri from the beginning.

B) Schaefer SnapFurl CF-700 is the next in price. It does have aluminum drum, but Geon PVC continuous extrusion (same material as the CDI FF???) that snaps together. It also does not require alterations to the forestay.

C) Harken MKIV FURLING Unit 0 is most expensive of these three. It does have an aluminum extrusion for the luff. It does require an alteration (in length) to the forestay and has a few specific parts.

QUESTIONS:

1) Which furler do you have/had on your CD25?

2) What did you like best about it?

3) What did you dislike about it?

4) If you were to replace yours, what would you select this time?

5) What furler gives the best value?

6) Is there another furler choice beyond the ones I have listed?

As I said before, I am trying to make an informed decision THEN have some Dark and Stormies...

Thank you.

Member # 1364
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I have nothing to compare it to, but the CDI furler on my 28 has been flawless for something like 14 years, with zero maintenance.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jack Carr

CD Furler

Post by Jack Carr »

I got a Harken for my CD24D two years ago and am very satisfied with it. My only mistake was not getting a furler earlier.
Jack
GLutzow

Furler

Post by GLutzow »

I currently have a furler on the headsail and am removing it. I purchased a new suite of headsails and am going back to hank-on sails after a less than satisfactory performance in bad weather. The performance of the headsail when reefed is terrible.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Bob Ohler

CDI or Harken

Post by Bob Ohler »

Personally, I would go with the CDI, based on your past experience, or Harken, based on my experience. I try to avoid Schaeffer any time I can based on their poor customer support.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
river-rat

Post by river-rat »

After careful investigation I went with an Alado Furler made in Brazil On my CD25. It has alternating offset sections of aluminum tube with low friction plastic bushings. The web site suggests that the maximum headstay for the smallest unit is 1/8 inch. In discussions with the US representative I used the small A0 size on my 3/16th stay without problem. The shipment from Brazil was less than one week. Cost was about $680 US.

I liked the aluminum tube and the ability to self install without climbing or lowering the mast. Installation was easy and has been free of problems. The unit has twin grooves and can be used with twin headsails. The installation manual was a bit skimpy, but with care it was installed without help in about 3 hours.

I purchased some Kiwi Slides (http://reefrite-na.com/) and installed on an old sail until a new sail was delivered. Note that if you only intend to furl and not reef, the Kiwi Slides work well and can alternate with hanks so the sail can be used either with a furler or a wire headstay.

Practical Sailor did a report on the Alado several years ago.
seajunkie

Alado

Post by seajunkie »

After careful investigation I went with an Alado Furler made in Brazil On my CD25
I echo river-rat's feedback. I ordered it online and it shipped within a few days directly from Brazil. I love it. Practical Sailor had a very favorable review back in February 2009.

It is well made and of solid aluminum construction. The extrusions are solid aluminum. My rigger thought they put a little to much weight aloft, but then again he wanted me to buy Harken gear from him. I'm not a racer, but I noticed a big bump in performance mostly because I bought a new sail at the same time. I didn't feel that the weight made a difference. It's solid like my CD.
Seajunkie
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

The replies are informative. Thank you.

I saw the Alado furler and hoped someone had experience with it. The reviews are positive and the price/delivery are good, too.

Q: Does anyone have experience using the CDI FF2 verses the CDI FF4?
The CD25 appears to be at the limits of the FF2. Is saving a "few" dollars prudent?

Both of our sails are old, probably original, and will be replaced next year or so.

We will use the furler primarily as a convenience for cruising rather than racing. We are avoiding hank-on sails to limit time on deck since only one of us (me) will go forward due to balance issues.

But I did notice that some of the furlers have multiple slides for two sails.
Q: Has anyone used the multiple slides for multiple sails for any reason?

Only the Schaefer has been given a "negative" but that was due to poor customer support. West Marine does have them on sale this week.

The Harken is VERY nice but is the most costly of the bunch.
Q: How do the Harken's features/performance excel over the others furlers (assuming higher price means "works better")?

Thank you all for the input.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

roller furling

Post by trapper »

I have a profurl NCI31 on Saga (CD25D)--oversized for a 25 foot boat.

I had a CDI FF1 on a former boat and it locked up at a critical time. The larger units may be fine--mine was all plastic.

We have roller furling on Tredora, our 40' ketch and it is a must! On a small boat, however, I am wishing I had not spent the money ($1000 for unit and modifying sail).

I just drastically reduced the size of my head sail, Oswego John is right--balance is everthing. With the right size head sail, I would almost never change the sail on Saga. A $50 sail bag on the bow would work just as well. Also, a large head sail rolled up is very distorted on the CD25D. My CD sails best with a conservative head sail.

If I had it to do again, I would get the right size head sail (jib), a good on deck bag for my head sail. But if you must have a roller furler, the profurl works pretty good.
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Q: Does anyone have experience using the CDI FF2 verses the CDI FF4

The CD25 appears to be at the limits of the FF2. Is saving a "few" dollars prudent? "
I have the FF2 and it is plenty for my 25. It seems big enough for a 30'.

It has two sail tracks. I imagine that I could go wing and wing, but I never tried.
Seajunkie
pete faga

furler option

Post by pete faga »

Harken model 0 has worked flawlessly on Grace for 20years with only a fresh water rinse on the bearings every couple of months!The harken also has a track i never used. Now would be a good time to rig another halyard for the foredeck if you chose a furler with 2 tracks. good luck