electric motor on typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Villamil

electric motor on typhoon

Post by Dick Villamil »

I finally launched Victoria and with the launching installed the Minnkota 45 electric motor to go from the boat launch to our dock. What a relief! No pull starting, messing with the choke and wondering if the old gas will work. All I did was place the battery on the cockpit seat and set the trolling motor on reverse then swing the boat around and set off in 1, then 2, then 3 and eventiually 5th gear (speed). We could talk, look around and just steer the boat! No fumes, no oil slick and no sound! This was my first experiance with an electric trolling motor and it was worth it. $190 for the motor (Dick's Sporting Goods with its own overnight charger) and $75 for the deep cycle battery from Costco. I then took the family out for a quiet motor ride before stepping the mast. Everyone will appreciate the eco-friendly atmosphere of the electric motor and Lake George will thank me for not polluting the water! You can't set any speed records but it certainly will get me home when the wind dies and I maintained 3-4 knots at full throttle. Afterwards I lifted the 25 pound unit and stored it below. No weight on the stern! Not sure how it will do in coastal waters with a current but on the lake it is fine with a light 5 kt cross breeze. Wish I hadn't waited this long to get it. The 36" shaft allows me to place the prop deep enough to avoid any cavitation and the extendable tiller makes it easy to adjust and operate while sitting at the helm. Now I can't wait to try it out on the dinghy or row boat for fishing!
bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

Post by bifcondor »

Happy for you that you have found this solution. I have considered a rig that could be removed and stored below when not in use - more easily than my heavy 6 hp. I dont often need to use it sailing on and off my mooring but having it available if the wind should die or blow up such that my limited skill should suggest using it. I would be concerned that the electric would not run continuously for a long enough time. Any data as to how long your battery will power it at a reasonable output should you need to get home in a calm wind or mechanical breakdown of your rigging?
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

I've been considering the same thing. Glad that it worked out so well. I'm off to start assembling the rig this weekend.
Thanks for the information.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon "Liberty"
CD 10
Lancaster, SC
ipswich

Post by ipswich »

this sounds like such a great idea. i have a big 6hp four stroke for my typhoon. it's almost too big. and was expensive. my least favorite part of having a boat is the motor. when my tohatsu bites the dust i will totally consider this option. i wish i had known about it BEFORE i spent 1,300 dollars!
Dick Villamil

electric motor on Ty

Post by Dick Villamil »

I should be able to develop data on longevity of the charge for the electric motor over the next few weeks. I am not certain that it will be for beating a storm back under heavy wind (that's what the sails are for) but I got the electric motor to avoid the mile or so paddling from the bow with the tiller tied in (not fun). After leaving the outboard motor attached to the stern for the past two summers I noticed that the paint was blistering just above the water line. I attributed it to the excess weight of the 4hp long shaft motor that was keeping the boat lower in the stern. It was too bulky to place in the cabin and too difficult to adjust the choke and pull start when there was a crew aboard. Besides, I just didn't like the looks of the motor and the drops of oil and fuel mix that fell from the fuel line if I forgot to turn off the fuel when I pulled the motor out of the water to sail. The electric motor is really light and lifts off the mount easily. I plan on making chocks (and cradle) for the motor to stow below. I also plan on making an electric connection where the inspection port is located on the aft end of the cockpit for a quick disconnect from the battery. This will allow me to keep the battery below the cockpit just inside of the cabin. Hopefully the solar panel will top off the battery when I am away for a week or so. I am really excited about this and plan to keep the outboard in the cellar. There are stronger storage batteries available - but they are much heavier to carry to the charging unit ashore.
Dan & Chris
2007 Melonseed Skiff "Sprout"
Linekin Bay, ME

Typhoon Trolling Motor

Post by Dan & Chris »

Dick,

Any updates to share on your Minn Kota experience? I just pulled the Tohatsu 3.5 off of Peanut for repair/storage, and am seriously considering trading it for a Minn Kota 50. The boat is going to be moved to our place in Maine, and with infrequent use the 4 cycle is going to be a pain to maintain. Plus, I'd like to get that weight off the stern and improve the looks of the boat. The trolling motor would be strictly for those times in which the wind died completely and we need to get back home - never more than a few miles.

Eriksens marine in Ferrisburgh recommended the Minn Kota, along with a small solar panel for onsite charging.

I'd love to hear more of your experience (and anyone else's).

Dan
Dick Villamil

Minn Kota on Typhoon

Post by Dick Villamil »

YUP - it worked fine. Just don't try to buck the waves and strong headwind! I use it only for when the wind dies and had 100% success. I have the 45 lb thrust model and the 3' shaft is plenty long enough. I am now trying to design a set of terminals that go into the inspection port aft of the tiller where the leads from the motor will be easily attached then run a #6 wire to the battery terminals with a fuse in line (currently use a set of jumper cables). I also used a small trickle charger solar panel that has a blocking diode to keep the battery topped off (make sure that you add a seam of clear caulking around the glass plate and plastic border as recommended in the instructions). The motor is so light I can stow it below on the staboard berth after taking the cover off the locker so the top control portion of the motor fits in the recess. I even found no need to even tie it in although I will be designing a simple rest for the motor. Sailed well heeled many times and the motor never budged. I start off in a slower speed to get the boat moving then shift up to a faster speed and she moves along at 2-3 knots - fast enough to get where I want to go when there is no wind. The best part about it is the boat has no motor hanging off the stern to weigh it down or detract from her looks! The 50 would be stronger but also sucks the battery down faster. I picked up a Costco marine deep cycle battery and so far it has been enough. If I want to go far afield or for overnight I might take the Mariner 4hp but for day sailing the electric is fine and 1/4 the weight. Don't depend on it bucking a fast tidal current but she will get you home when ther i no or very light wind. Well worth the $200 and I needed the battery anyway for the lights!
Dan & Chris
Linekin Bay, ME

Re: Minn Kota on Typhoon

Post by Dan & Chris »

Dick Villamil wrote:YUP - it worked fine.... I also used a small trickle charger solar panel that has a blocking diode to keep the battery topped off... The best part about it is the boat has no motor hanging off the stern to weigh it down or detract from her looks!
Dick,

Thanks for the update! I like the idea of a solar trickle charger, which will save having to lug the battery back and forth for charging. If you have any details on what you used for that, please pass them on.

Dan
Troy Scott

Inboard, retractable electric

Post by Troy Scott »

I recently saw a kayak with a retractable electric motor. It was a neat installation. With the motor/propeller unit retracted flush with the hull, it is as if there is no motor, no drag. I would like to see something like this for a boat like a Typhoon.
Regards,
Troy Scott
mike ritenour

Electric Refit

Post by mike ritenour »

I'm currently refitting "Dorothy" our Open Cockpit TY and we will be going to an electric motor with a couple of large Trojan AGM batteries.

Any system construction suggetions would be most appreciated.

Rit
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i purchased a 5 watt solar panel from Northern Tools this past spring to trickle charge my house battery. simply laid the panel on the forward end of the cockpit seat to gather the most sunlight and used the battery alligator clips o attach to the battery terminals. it kept my battery up all season. best $50.00 i have spent in a long time.
Dan & Chris
Linekin Bay, ME

Post by Dan & Chris »

sloopjohnl wrote:i purchased a 5 watt solar panel from Northern Tools [skip] best $50.00 i have spent in a long time.
Is this the culprit?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200422047

Dan
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

Dan,

that's the one.
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Typhoon Electric Motor

Post by jim trandel »

In my search on the website I found this thread on the Minnkota 45 for auxiliary power for a Ty. I to have a Ty and my repair estimate for my "92 3.5hp Yamaha is $475. Needless to say the Minnkota looks good at this juncture.

Dick have you or anyone else have any further feedback on this motor for the Typhoon? If so, please post your experience.

Best regards,
Jim
shavdog

Not enough power

Post by shavdog »

I had a bigger minkota on my typhoon...sorry I do not remember the model but it was the biggest before going 24 volt...anyway it was fine in calm water but try going into the wind ...not good...I used it a season and sold the boat and motor...for a cd22...the electric was quiet and made my rides a pleasure but I was very uncomfortable with wind around...and not knowing how much battery I had left....I would not do that again...I am on an inland lake in minnesota...craig