Cape Dory 25 as Scrap

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Cape Dory 25 as Scrap

Post by Scott MacCready »

I know this is blasphemy but I'm considering decomissioning (nicer wording) a 1974 Cape Dory 25. This is a bare hull with no sails, no outboard, no running rigging. The cost to transport and get this boat back in the water is more than I could purchase one ready to go. I've attempted to sell this boat outright for $1500 with no luck. I'm in need of 6000 lbs of lead for my current project and thought this could be a way for to obtain over 1/4 of that. I'm wondering what the lead keel in this boat is like...a solid piece or shot epoxied in place? Currently lead scrap sells for about $1.00/pound. There are some other items I could use or sell-off such as the mast, rudder, standing rigging, etc... I'd much rather sell this boat as is to someone that would use her, but I could really use the lead. thoughts?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You should post a desperate plea on the Cape Dory forum with the stated ultimatum that if someone doesn't take on this boat as a project it will be cut up and parted out.

Or willing to trade for lead, Steve.
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

It's not heresy to scrap out an old boat.

If you set out to build a brand new boat, and Carl had never been around, would you now choose to make one in the exact same shape as a CD25? Taste and technology march on.

She's already been a good organ donor (rig, sails, and whatever else) Pull everything that can be reused and scrap the hull.

Not too sure about the lead method. Check with Robinhood Marine for a definitive answer.
James
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Farewell Minnow...

Post by bhartley »

Not a Cape Dory (O'Day 27), but we "decommissioned" her several years back. It is a LOT of work for the lead! We had access to free dump trucks and a VERY liberal landfill (they would have taken the boat whole). The boat had been sunk in Hurricane Hugo and had been in storage (uncovered) for 8 years. The trailer was good. We recycled as much as possible -- BUT, I would not do it again!

I did the major cutting (carbide sawsall blades) and left hubby with the keel. Simply getting it to a horizontal position to cut the glass off was a major production.

The Final Demise of the Minnow
billc

Post by billc »

while it is true you could probably buy one ready to go for less than you'll put into this one it sounds like the boat is basically all there. i would lower price to 500 and buy lead with the proceeds. some dreamer will come along in the spring.

i know of a boatyard with maybe 50 large sailboats abandoned for the storage fees by their owners. the market for large old boats is not good. but the market for inexpensives ones ??

smelting lead is not a healthy occupation

ps good old boat letter to editor indicates kirawan II has fallen on hard times and is available in so fla. est cost to restore .5 to 1 mil.

wb circa 2001 had story on restoration of kirawan I.
Last edited by billc on Feb 15th, '11, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Keel Lead

Post by Oswego John »

I knew of several charter boat fishing captains who were eager to buy all the lead that was available. It was easy to remove lead from the bulb on the lower end of a fin keel. Encased lead in a CD is another story.

They would melt the lead and pour it into molds for making bombs to carry bait down deep from their downriggers.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

It is blasphomy

Post by Bruce Bett »

I hate to see these boats go down. To answer your question, I've never cut into a Cape Dory keel, but the company claims they're solid castings. I hope you find a home for the 25. either way best of luck.

Bruce
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

It Is Blasphemy

Post by Oswego John »

Bruce,

I couldn't agree more with with your thoughts.

Many of the boats we tried to save, some how broke loose from their moorings or went up on the rocks due to some other cause. Most of the hulls were made from wood.

We would get written permission from both the owner and the insurance company before helping out in any way. After a night on the rocks, most boats were totalled, toast.

More often than not, the owner was frustrated and disgusted with the situation and didn't ever want to see his boat again. There is very little as pitiful as seeing a formerly beautiful boat wrecked, many times due to human negligence.

If this boat is in a condition to be restored reasonably, it is much better in my mind to restore it rather than to part it out.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Don't do it for the lead

Post by sealark »

I know of a guy here in Florida that makes a living off of "decommissioning" old boats. In the event of significant damage (or something like that) - I understand that it may not be possible to repair some boats. But this individual takes otherwise decent boats - cuts them up - and sells the lead. Personally - I believe all old boats deserve a chance - and I just hate to see them destroyed - especially boats like Cape Dorys. Last year he cut up a Pearson Commander (he told me after the fact) - it almost made me cry.

I purchased a CD28 from someone in Palm Beach, FL about 3 years ago - she was about 1 week from the dump. Probably in FAR WORSE condition than your 25. Long story short - I believe she is now one of the prettiest 28's out there. I believe all old boats deserve a chance. Any dreamers out there reading this - take the chance - it can be done.

Anyways - to answer your question - consider the following. I have watched this individual remove the lead from a boat - and it is not pretty. It is extremely hard work - especially when encapsulated in fiberglass. Second (around here) - as far as selling the lead - the price you quoted is for clean lead in small chunks - typically 5 pounds or less. As one big chunk - fresh from a keel - he usually gets about 50 cents (as of this week) for the lead. Considering the listed ballast weight is I think 1700lbs - that is about $850 - plus all your time for removal and the cost to dispose of the hull.

I agree with "billc" - list the boat for $500 - maybe even $700 - and use the proceeds for your next project. As he says - some dreamer will come along - too bad "this" dreamer lives in FL.
jepomer

Don't scrap it if it is just "not pretty".

Post by jepomer »

I purchased my CD25 for $1225 from an eBay auction. It needed the bottom redone since it had a bad case of blisters. It came with all of its rigging and sails. For the purchase price and the amount of work I had to put into it, it was a good deal for me.

You did not really specify how far gone the hull is. If it is still solid and has usable rigging, someone will be interested. Selling the hull alone is not easy since there are many sail-able boats out there. Many of us don't worry if the boat is not "pretty" as long as it is reasonably solid and has its rigging with sails.

A usable "fixer-upper" will sell quickly at a low price. At a higher price, there are many other choices out there. I would rather see a boat go for a lower price than to go into a land fill.

BTW. It wasn't Carl who designed the CD25, it was George Stadel. If it happens to be a CD25d, then you may even have more interested parties with a lower price.

But if you have already parted out the rigging, the hull needs to go real cheap or you will have to pay to have it scrapped.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
ronkberg

Scott, contact Michael Chasse

Post by ronkberg »

His boatyard is in Freeport, ME and Mike has love of full keeled Alberg designs. He rescues many old used sailboats and either puts them back into sailable shape or strips and destroys. Visit his site and call him and maybe the CD25 will be saved.

Good luck, Ron

PS, I know that this is not an Alberg design!

http://www.northeastsailboatrescue.com/sale2.html
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Scott MacCready

I appreciate all the thoughts...which at this point is all I'm looking for. I don't want to make a rash decission. I have a mooring available to be so with a little work and some used sails I know I could make it more attractive to a buyer. I still have 2' of snow/ice here so have time to consider options.
Scott MacCready

Well, I'd hate to destroy a project if someone was truely interested so I've listed it on Uncle Henry's here in Maine (www.unclehenrys.com) for $800. If no sale then I'll be parting it out for the lead, alluminum, and a little bronze. thanks for your thoughts, scott
Scott MacCready

Update, the boat has been traded an will sail again. For the boat I received a generous amount of lead which will go into my current project's keel.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I love it! A good solid exchange of currency.

The lead is probably worth more than money these days, Steve.