depth sensor for typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ipswich

depth sensor for typhoon?

Post by ipswich »

i'd really like to get a depth sensor with a little digital screen for my typhoon weekender. something simple just so i can tell the depth below me. can anyone recommend an inexpensive, quality one?
thanks-
tim
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Depth Sensor

Post by Oswego John »

Tim,

I went to a Garmin Fish Finder, model 160C. It gives a beautiful display in color. Cheaper models are available.

I bought it as a boat show special at the local boat show a few years back.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
ronkberg

Here is what I installed

Post by ronkberg »

Tim, I installed it in the cockpit and used the through-hull transducer inside one of the cabin storage bins. Works real well and no need to cut a hole through the hull.

Ron

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/H ... medium=cse
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
ipswich

Post by ipswich »

that is exactly what i am looking for! thanks!
WHERE again do you place the thru-hull transducer? how can it work through the boat without being on the bottom of the hull?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

ipswich wrote: how can it work through the boat without being on the bottom of the hull?
The same way it works through the water, as the fiberglass bottom won't stop the sonar signals. Best to test for a good spot because if there are any voids in the glass, that will hurt performance. Try a topic search... lots of advice on how to install.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I installed the same unit in Raven last year.

I got rid of the gigantic through hull fairing block, glassed in the hole and built up a level spot to glue it on the inside. The worst part of the job was building up the hull thickness where the old through hull came out. You would not need to do this step.

It works really great and I picked up 2 knots of boat speed.

Okay, the part about the depth sounder working great is true, Steve.
ronkberg

Typhoon Installation

Post by ronkberg »

Tim, the thru-hull mounting must be installed under the waterline. I used the storage bin nearest the cabin doorway and attached the piece that the thru-hull mounts in to the hull with silicone. Then I filled the attached cup with baby oil and inserted the thru-hull. If there are any air voids, then the unit will not work. Thus the baby oil, fiberglass hull, water is the correct placement. All of this detail will be in the mounting instruction with the depth sensor unit.

It works good even when heeled because the lower portion of the hull is still under water. I get false sounding when in deep water that is either from fish, seals or maybe bubbles. No big deal when there is sufficient water and I am most alert when sailing inside harbors or near islands as this is where some shallow rocks might be within the keel depth.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
ipswich

Post by ipswich »

how is it powered? by a battery and a solar charger? i don't have either of those and don't often use my engine. what will i need to power it?
thanks
tim
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

A deep cycle lawn mower gel battery might be just the ticket. The gel part is so you wouldn't have to worry about the acid leaking as you carry it around.

You could keep it charged up with a solar trickle charger or just bring it home if you run it down much. Some sort of voltage tester would help you plan your charging schedule, Steve.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Battery power

Post by Gary M »

Tim wrote:

how is it powered? by a battery and a solar charger? i don't have either of those and don't often use my engine. what will i need to power it?
thanks
tim
Tim,

Find out what the power consumption on this unit is and then consider using a battery like the one on the link below.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3517895

I use these as back up power on the security systems I install and they are very reliable and they are sealed.

You could use a small charger to charge them or if you have a security system in your home you could use it to charge by swapping the batteries back and forth.

My guess is a 7AH battery will push that depth finder for a long time and if you change to LED running lights this small battery could run those for a while too.

Before you buy, find out how much power you need.

Gary
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I could not find the amperage draw on the Hummingbird depth sounder listed in any of the sales info.

When I get to the boat next week I could turn mine on and read the amperage draw. A guess would be less than half an amp. That is just a guess. At that rate, you would use 4 amps in 8 hours.

LED running and cabin lights would use only a few tenths of an amp. Conventional bulbs would be several amps.

Now if you want music you will start to draw some power.

Conventional wisdom is not to draw your battery down below half it's capacity. I would plan for what you may want in the future as well as the depth finder.

A lot would depend on how you use the boat. You might not even know yet.

When we sailed the Typhoon we had only a boat hook for a depth sounder, portable battery powered running lights, LED head lamps for cabin light, a hand held GPS, hand held VHF radio, pull start on the motor and no music.

Simple was good, Steve.
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Depth

Post by Scott Launey »

I'm trying to figure out why you need a sounder for a boat that draws two and a half feet at most?
Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Scott,

Early in this thread I mentioned that I installed a fish finder. Not so much to tell the depth, which it does quite well with a picture in color, but also to use as a fish locator.

What with thermoclines in the water in our area, certain species of fish habitate water of varying temperatures and depths. The fish finder/depth sounder lets me know the average depth that the fish are schooling at.

In regard to your very thoughtful question, it is extremely rare, if ever, that I take my Ty near the surf or in shallow water. Many of our areas have rocky shorelines with little to no sandy beaches. I suppose that it could prove useful to avoid trouble when poking about in shallow channels while exploring in strange locations.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Sounder

Post by Scott Launey »

OJ,
I agree completely that for a fisherman a fish finder is a huge asset. As for sounding depths for a Typhoon I'm lucky enough to sail in San Diego Bay and nearby Pacific waters so I know the area well, but that being said I use my limited battery power for three things: Nav lights for after sunset; Anchor light for a great night on the hook and most importantly my CD/IPOD player to set the mood for whenever I'm onboard. I just want the bare basics on this beautiful little boat; cruising a larger boat would be crazy without one.

I always enjoy reading your comments OJ; you're a fountain of knowledge.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Oswego John

Kind Words

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Scott,

I appreciate your kind words.

Hey, what's this? A '66 Naugus Ty. A golden oldie. Woo hoo. Heavy on the teak and varnish. Right-on man. Dig it. Way to go. You're the bomb.

Dynamite, :D

O J

PS: Just don't lock your prop. :roll:
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490