Getting Older

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Getting Older

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Well there it is. I am getting older - much better than the alternative though. Here is the question: What enhancements would be 1) practical and 2) affordable that would make my CD25D easier to handle. I don't have ST winches, and except for the main halyard I don't have lines running to the cockpit. I do have an tiller pilot. I took off the lazy jacks ten years ago as the sail isn't that big and they snagged. But I am wondering what little, modest, and larger changes might ease the captain's burden. I am a solo sailer, even when others are on board (You know what I mean!) Thanks.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

A few years ago I watched a local sailor in his upper 70s climb his 40 foot mast using ascenders to do some drilling and installing equipment at the top of the mast. Ever since then I felt that I needed to keep the work part of sailing to assure that I didn't age any faster than the other guy. Work saving devices have a very negative effect on us. They help to age us by sapping our resolve. It's one thing not to exceed our limits but it's another to look for the easy out. Sailing is meant to be physical, enjoy that part of it and stay young. :)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick,

Accept the part where you move a bit more slowly. The boat won't notice and the extra time it takes to jump to quickly solving a problem will prevent you from doing something really dumb that only would have made it worse.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

I have a good friend who is 83 who has had cancer, heart bypass surgery, and a few other equally serious health problems. If you saw him in the food store, he would be the guy hunched over his shopping cart (his back problems won't let him stand up straight).

He still sails almost every day in the summer on Barnegat Bay. His passion for sailing hasn't waned since he was a teenager in Tom's River. He has downsized from a Pearson 36 to an 18-foot Herreshoff America catboat (not the best choice in retrospect -- gaff rig, barndoor rudder and lots of weather helm).

He doesn't let the inevitable aches and pains stop him. I have never ever heard him mention, let alone complain about them, and they actually seem to disappear when he sails.

Do the best you can to stay in shape generally, and just keep sailing.
WaywardWind

Strong suggestion

Post by WaywardWind »

Strong suggestion is to try to stay strong.

Lift some heavy weights. Or, do yoga (without the chanting it's called isometrics) five or ten minutes a day.

If you don't, you'll lose muscle mass every year. Muscles, use 'em or lose 'em.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

George

Post by moctrams »

I have a friend that's our marina condo predident. He turned 80 a couple of months ago and he still water skis, sails and does a super job of being our condo president. I never miss the chance to go out with him on his 38 foot Hinckley. He found her in one of the "creeks" in southern Maryland and has taken her to Bermuda and other places and all the while improving the boat to almost new condition. So, keep going no matter how old you are.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Thanks

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I appreciate receiving the non-gizmo advice. It has framed my question in a quite different way.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Cheap gizmo suggestions from a fellow graybeard

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Dick,

Since we have the same boat, usually sail solo and are pretty close to the same age, I've been watching this graying thread with considerable interest.

I agree with everything that's been said, especially about exercising to keep your muscle mass. I do have two minor pseudo-gizmo suggestions for you. The first one might elicit some scoffing from others on this board:

1) Winchers, those blue rubber disks that sit atop non self-tailing winches, do help when working your jib sheets. No, they're no substitute for ST winches--and I've been fantasizing about upgrading to ST winches for a long time. But they do help a lot, and I find that I use them more and more, as I find that the joints in my fingers start to ache if I do a lot of winch work.

Of course on Buzzards Bay there's no way to avoid lots of tacking.

2) Another little sail-handling gizmo that I've found to be worth the effort is the Sail Jockey from SailCare. The system consists of two shock cords that stay on the underside of the boom when not in use. When the sail is flaked or furled, they hook together to keep the loose sail under control. The price of the system has increased to about $22.00 (I think it was about $18.00 when I bought mine).

It's a simple system that I have found more convenient than using separate sail ties.

NOTE: I have no interest in either gadget.

Best advice of all: Keep sailing!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Post by jim trandel »

Hi Dick,
I'm a senior solo sailer and I found that a boomkicker has helped.
I did not have a toping lift so trying to hook on a clip to the boom has been a challenge and sometimes dangerous when lowering the mainsail & returning to the harbor.

Jim
Watermark II

helpfull systems

Post by Watermark II »

I'm no longer a young man but still am quite able. But I have been thinking about a self tending jib for our ketch.

I remember our first 18' sloop had a boomed jib and short tacking up the canal to the bay was pure joy... just push the tiller to tack.

The wind in our area is often in the 15+ range and we often sail jib & jigger. With an few friends aboard the cockpit is crowded and maybe not having to constantly ask someone to move to reach the jib sheets would be a good thing.

Just thinking (and planning)!

Andy
CD30K #2
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

One of the best things I did as far as single handing on Raven, was to add a second set of winches that I can reach from the wheel.

I no longer have to ask anyone to move when tacking, even if there is someone else aboard. If solo, they just make things a whole lot easier to reach.

I bought a used pair of non self tailers for far less than I could have bought a smaller pair of ST winches. I now have more versatility and back ups.

The best thing I ever did on Raven was install a wind vane, Steve.
jvanghel

Post by jvanghel »

Dick,

Do you have a furling headsail?

Jim
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

As a fellow 25D owner I'd say ST genoa winches and a roller/REEFER headsail. And IF that roller/REEFER headsail is 130 or so 90% of the time the main stays stowed...And IF that 130 headsail has a good foam luff you can reef it down to less than 90% and sail in very high winds w/o the main.. I've done it up to 45mph...And could still make headway to windward...

Mike sailed his 25D across the Pacific rigged this way...No try sail, no storm jib...
Randy 25D Seraph #161