Argh

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Argh

Post by barfwinkle »

More Snow!

Fair Winds and Warmer Days
Bill Member #250.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

The docks here in Corpus Christi are covered in ice. I wounder how the Yankees do it.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

ARGH

Post by Oswego John »

I don't know what happened but Oswego, on Lake Ontario, dodged the bullet. The superstorm that started somewhere near Barfwinkleland and clobbered Chicago with 20"+, missed us. We got 5" of general snow and about 2" of lake effect. A non-event.

The last thing that I heard is that they might move the Super Bowl up here to the north where it is much warmer.

I never did hear how Boston and Maine sailors made out from the storm. ???

It's time to break out the woolies from moth balls. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: ARGH

Post by Joe Myerson »

Oswego John wrote:I never did hear how Boston and Maine sailors made out from the storm. ???
Hey OJ,

If you're looking for snow, just harness up your sled dogs and head here to central Massachusetts! We've got close to 4 feet of snow on the ground, and there's talk of another 6 inches tomorrow.

According to the show maps on the NOAA website, we've got more snow than you folks in tropical Oswego, as well as more snowcover than Maine and most of New Hampshire.

The cross-country skiing is fantastic--the best I've ever remembered, even when I lived in the White Mountains. I just hope the roof holds up.

Luckily my boat is yarded on Cape Cod, where they got mostly ice in the last storm.

Our total for the last storm was somewhere between 12 and 18 inches (hard to tell exactly, because of the drifts).

Clearly it's time to break out the Speedos and make snow angels!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Storm

Post by Oswego John »

Joe,

Aha! You remember my frolicking in the snow and making snow angels while wearing my nude colored speedo. Meanwhile, the old, nosy biddy who lives next door, while peeking at me from behind the curtains, got a mild coronary.

911 was called, they gave her oxygen to stop the coughing attack and hauled her away. I then resumed building a snow man.

Ah, the joys of winter. :D

It doesn't get any better than this.

O J
PS: I used to ski regularly up in Robert's old neck of the woods in eastern Mass. That would be in the Great Barrington and Pittsfield area. Namely Butternut Basin, Jiminy Peak and Brody's Irish Alps.

Ah, those were good times.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
barfwinkle

Argh

Post by barfwinkle »

Here is a link to a friends commercial photo site. If you go through the series of pics you see why 20" plus of snow and covered docks don't mix.

This is 140ish miles north as the crow flies. Glad it not me....

Fair Winds and Warm Breezes

http://psilzer.zenfolio.com/p886220891/ ... #h28b808be
Bill Member #250.